Masturbation may be one of the few activities most men enjoy. A 2011 study found 95% of unmarried men admitted to masturbating. Even most married men partake in going solo, with 70% admitting to masturbating. Yet, despite masturbation being so commonly practiced, it's still a social taboo. Following are 5 reasons why masturbation is actually good for you.
- Masturbation May Reduce the Chance of Prostate Cancer – A 2004 study published in the Journal of American Medical Association found high ejaculation frequency was related to decreased risk of total prostate cancer.1
- Masturbation Reduces Blood Pressure and Stress – As with ejaculation during sex, the hormones released during orgasm have a relaxing effect on the body.
- Masturbation Fights Depression – Along with reducing blood pressure and stress, the serotonin and dopamine released during orgasm combat depression, much in the same way prescription drugs like Prozac do.2
- Masturbation Builds Stronger Muscles – As we get older, our muscles naturally atrophy. Masturbation keeps key muscles, like the pelvic floor muscles, in tip-top shape. This can help prevent erectile dysfunction due to loss of muscle.
- Masturbation Creates Stronger Semen – Going without ejaculating for as little as five days can really harm those little swimmers. When you don't have ready access to a sexual partner, masturbation can help ensure their as strong as possible.
Now, the caveat here is — Everything in moderation. Do not neglect your partner, miss work or school, or forget to pick up the kids because you're spending too much “alone time.” However, in moderation, masturbation shouldn't be the taboo society has made it out to be.