Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is what doctors say about my ED, what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what doctors say about my ED, what do you think?

Greetings doctor, im a 24 year old hypertensive male who has had ED for nearly 10 months.

My Medications- Toprol Xl 12.5, HCTZ 25, Losartan 100.

I went to two urologists who refused to prescribe me anything, one asked me to do a stress test and I passed with flying colors. They did a number of blood tests and everything is normal except for slightly elevated VMA "Uro said this was due to anxiety". The doctor also said that my hypertension "which ive had for 2 years" wasn't present long enough to cause erectile problems but that the medication I take might.

I have NO morning erections but if I stimulate myself I can maintain it for some seconds but as soon as I stop stimulating I can actually watch as it deflates within 30 second I am completely flaccid again.

Finally I went to my cardiologist and he was adamant about the fact that my very tiny dose of beta blocker was causing ED. I tried quitting for 5 days and saw no improvement at all, do I need to wait longer?

What is your personal opinion about the advice/reasoning of these two doctors???? My cardiologist is supposed to 3 in the state of New York but I feel im being ignored. Where do I go from here?

Please help Doctor

Ragnar

Did the doc tell you to stop the beta blocker?
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

He sure did cusp, but im taking such a small dose 12.5 and previously I tried stopping for 5 days with no improvement at all. Mayve I need to wait longer?

Comment

I don't know your medical history or much about you personally but I do know that most hypertension can be controlled with exercise. A brisk walk of 1 hour a day should help immensely. Or you can try an exercise bike for 1/2 hour daily or at least a few times per week. At your age, you shouldn't need drugs to control your blood pressure unless you have more medical conditions that you haven't mentioned. Eat healthy and cut out the salt as much as possible.

It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood.- K.Popper
        Strength is the outcome of need, security sets a premium on feebleness.-Wells

Comment

Well as my buddy above me inquired why are you being treated for HBP at such a young age? Medical problems, obesity, stress, etc?

Comment

They just tell me essential hypertension, genetics basically

I eat well, exercise don't smoke etc

Comment

Okay so I'll get really nosey; what was your bp without medication?

Comment

I believe about 160/80 but see I have panic disorder and ive gotten 200/100 WITH meds during a panic attack.

Comment

Therein lies your issue. Essential hypertension is often known as idiopathic hypertension with the word "idiopathic" simply meaning " I don't know" or no biological cause. Part of those idiopathic types of hypertension is stress induced hypertension, seen often in young people who are stressed out to the max and are burning the candle at both ends. Stress will kill an erection faster than Nancy Pelosi's face! ( gee I hope you're not a democrat). Not much difference between stress and panic is there. Do you see a therapist to help you with your panic disorder?

Comment

Hehe thanks Cusp. Ive considered the stress/ed connection.

But I dont get any morning or nocturnal erections at all, from what I understand that points to a physical issue. And yep currently am seeing a therapist and just recently started taking xanax which is helping me destress tremendously.

PS- I am a leftist and even I cant stand that awful women. I was discussing erectile dysfunction, not my penis shriveling up and falling off!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale23 View Post
                      Greetings doctor, im a 24 year old hypertensive male who has had ED for nearly 10 months.

My Medications- Toprol Xl 12.5, HCTZ 25, Losartan 100.

I went to two urologists who refused to prescribe me anything, one asked me to do a stress test and I passed with flying colors. They did a number of blood tests and everything is normal except for slightly elevated VMA "Uro said this was due to anxiety". The doctor also said that my hypertension "which ive had for 2 years" wasn't present long enough to cause erectile problems but that the medication I take might.

I have NO morning erections but if I stimulate myself I can maintain it for some seconds but as soon as I stop stimulating I can actually watch as it deflates within 30 second I am completely flaccid again.

Finally I went to my cardiologist and he was adamant about the fact that my very tiny dose of beta blocker was causing ED. I tried quitting for 5 days and saw no improvement at all, do I need to wait longer?

What is your personal opinion about the advice/reasoning of these two doctors???? My cardiologist is supposed to 3 in the state of New York but I feel im being ignored. Where do I go from here?

Please help Doctor

Ragnar
                      I am wondering which "doctor" you are talking to exactly. Are there any docs on here I don't know...

Anyway, I think I remember talking to you some time back. The young guy with HBD, yeah? Yours is hands down genetic/primary. I think there is no question there. And so along with HBD comes ED in one form or another. They are like brothers of sorts. It then just becomes a question of how best to "manage" the ED. And you do this by managing the HBD itself. Although the jury is still out on what exactly is causing this sudden new ED of yours and how it manifests especially. Your profile is very then so there is not much to go on.

But yeah, the docs might be correct. Certain beta blockers can severely impact potency while others can instead help it. I don't know much about the specific drugs but at least I know about Toprol and Prinvil. I met a kid on liveperson with similar issues who switched from Toprol to Prinvil and got fixed. So its possible the 5 days was too short, especially if you were actually "waiting" for results.

So my advice is stick to their recommendations for a longer while and instead of "waiting" for the erections, you work on the psychological issues you might have. Give it a timeline and see. You can update me on my personal log here as I rarely look at other threads nowadays.

Stay looking up

Cheers mate
                      We are Manchester United... We do what we want!

Comment

Hehe thanks Cusp. Ive considered the stress/ed connection.

But I dont get any morning or nocturnal erections at all, from what I understand that points to a physical issue. And yep currently am seeing a therapist and just recently started taking xanax which is helping me destress tremendously.

PS- I am a leftist and even I cant stand that awful women. I was discussing erectile dysfunction, not my penis shriveling up and falling off!
                        I have to admit that your p.s. made me laugh my ass off!

As to morning wood the same stress that nails you when you're awake is not gone when you're sleeping. Have you ever asked your cardiologist if your hbp might be a bit on the stress induced side?

Comment

Thanks Lito I will definitely keep you updated.

Cusp, it has been suggested and believe it or not it was only recently that I was scheduled for a 24 hour blood pressure monitor which I will do on the 25th, i'll definitely post the results. Although to be honest im assuming it will show hypertension .

Comment

If you are getting Toprol from your cardiologist, most likely you need that beta blocker for it's cardiac protective properties in treating your hypertension. Therefore an ACE Inhibitor ( Prinivil) would not be the best choice for you and you are already taking an angiotension inhibiting drug with the Losartan. You are on the maximum dose of the ARB Losartan, as well as a good dose of diuretic with the HCTZ. Being on three different classes of drugs for your hypertension sounds like it has been difficult to controll. That is a small dose of Toprol, so maybe your ED is from your long-standing Hypertension itself, not the drugs being used to treat it. A very low amount of VMA makes it unlikely that your Hypertension is from a pheochromocytoma. I hope you did not stop the Toprol on your own, since sudden discontinuation of a beta blocker can be dangerous.

Comment

Thanks Lito I will definitely keep you updated.

Cusp, it has been suggested and believe it or not it was only recently that I was scheduled for a 24 hour blood pressure monitor which I will do on the 25th, i'll definitely post the results. Although to be honest im assuming it will show hypertension .
                              When you get that monitor make yourself a journal about how are you feeling each hour; are you anxious at 10:00 am because you're stuck in traffic or someone cut you off; are you happy because you're having lunch at a resturant and the cute waitress smiled at you etc. It will be easy to correlate times when your bp would normally be elevated and times ( when you're relaxed and happy) where it will be normal. That will help you and the doc out a great deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X