No announcement yet.

You want health? I'll give you health.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want health? I'll give you health.

Do not take my word as gospel. However, be do be influenced by it, and perhaps redefine your thoughts on concepts. I am biased, however. I'm Vegan, and probably would still be Vegan, even if it wasn't healthful. I am not trying to make any enemies here, but I will defend myself and my beliefs, obviously.

Firstly, I personally advocate a low-glycemic, phytonutrient/antioxidant high, nutritionally sound (with no excess sodium), caffeine-free Vegan diet with ideally 60/20/20 (C/P/F). So... very, very healthy. Ooh, scary. If you're heavy on cardio though (such as a big runner or biker), high-glycemic foods are better for quicker recovery and instant energy loads. But I'm not a nutritionist. I'm a health geek with too much time on his hands (so... pretty much like any fitness buff that ever existed).

Even if you don't want to read this stuff... well, just skip to the recipes.

Powerful Supplements for a healthy life

Hey, to kickstart this post, let's head over to some awesome foods that have been shown to increase health lots!

1) Spirulina is a green algae, and is quoted as a "perfect food", containing pretty much every good nutrient possible. It contains more protein than most omnivorous products, making it bad in excess (high protein = bad. Ever noticed how the only people with low protein either have malabsorption issues or are anorexic/bulimic?) However, in a small, daily quantity, it's definitely a power food. This is the true brain food, so leave those poor fish alone! 10g daily is adequate, or if you're feeling sick, 20g.

2) Chorella is another algae, shown to be a great cleanser, even able to remove toxic metals from the body. However, it can cause diarrhea, so, take it in small quantities to start with (1-2g) and work your way up to 5g; give your body time to adjust.

3) Maca Powder. I've seen this on this forums, and for good reason. It boosts libido, energy, et cetera... tastes rancid, but each to their own. Don't take at night or it might cause insomnia, which of course, is bad for your body.

4) Creatine. Okay, who hasn't heard of Creatine? Well, your body naturally produces it, but often or not bodybuilders like to supplement it to increase the water retention in their muscles. Some Creatines can cause bloating, so make sure to get a good grade, preferably Ethyl-Ester (Mono can cause bloat; it did when I was bodybuilding anywho). Too much can not only retard your body's ability to produce it's own, but also renal failure, so take it easy. I suggest either adding it to a smoothie right before drinking, or simply swallowing with water - however, do try to have some food with it, as it'll enhance Creatine's speed and effectiveness. High Glycemic foods are better, but for those who live a low glycemic diet (like me), some simple berries will still do the job. Just slightly less effectively.

5) MSM. Methylsulfonylmethane (what a mouthful). An anti-aging supplement that promotes nutrient absorption. It's also known as an arthritis medication. The effects of this supplement are debatable, and the top three (four, if you work out) are much more required, but, this supplement is not to be ignored.

Useful Foods

Okay, look around you. Every "healthy" food is equal, right? Well, no. Zucchinis (Courgettes to us British folk) are not equal to Kale, nutritionally. Eggplant, while low calorie, doesn't have a lot to offer. And the ever common Potato... well, Potatoes are freaking useless, and are better left in the ground. So, here's a list of the foods you should be eating.

1) Flavor Enhancers. No, I don't mean Salt. Or MSG. No, I'm talking about the other ones. The healthy ones. The ones that either make you go "yummy", or for the more inclined "damn, that's some nice Umami". Onion, Leek, Chives, Shallots, Garlic, Tomatoes, Seaweeds (the aforementioned Spirulina/Chorella are known to strike a chord with some people's tastebuds), Mushrooms, Celery and Nutritional Yeast come to my immediate mind.

Generally, foods with strong flavors often enhance other flavors when mixed in. But, there's another aspect that comes into play; Glutamic Acid! Glutamic Acid is the healthy, unprocessed form of MSG (Monosodium Glumate, a very unhealthy additive), that leads foods, to well... be tasty.

Onions and other strong Alliums (such as Garlic) are packed full of antioxidants and phytonutrients, and also have this habit of making stuff taste nice. If you're in a hurry, and need an extra punch to the recipe, add onion. Or if you fancy a little extra flavor, a little bit of garlic (or a lot, if it's your thing).

High Protein foods, such as Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Nutritional Yeast and Seaweed have high amounts of Glutamic Acid, adding to their fantastic taste. These four ingredients specifically also contain fantastic amounts of nutrients, Mushrooms and Nutritional Yeast especially having great wads of B Vitamins, including the ever elusive B6 (more-so in Mushrooms)!

Seaweed often needs to be used in moderation, but it's Iodine content is fantastic to keep your thyroid in working order, while tomatoes are good and healthy for your prostate, and despite being fairly vitamin/mineral devoid, the sheer quantity of tomatoes that can be easily made into low calorie sauces make it pack a punch.

2) Legumes. My all-time favourite is Chickpeas, but as has been pointed out by the super-awesome man with the plan, Kingpole, Chickpea allergies (I'm assuming) sadly do exist (and legume allergies in general; yikes!). But not to worry, pretty much all beans are healthy, just pick the ones that gel well with you, and go to town! Remember that Lentils are also a bean, even if they don't look, act or even really taste like one. Gas caused by the beans can be reduced by draining off the soaked water, or by Acidophillius tabs (or by fermenting the beans into Tempeh; homemade Chickpea Tempé is delicious). Activated Charcoal also reportedly works.

Fun fact, ever noticed how coffee, vanilla and chocolate are all sourced by beans? And don't forget their forgotten, unpopular cousin, the Carob Bean.

3) Green Leafy Vegetables and most Brassicas. Why aren't these number 1, you ask? Well, because they taste icky, of course! The best way to serve green leafies is either in a nice sauce (tomato and nutritional yeast... yum), or dehydrated! Spinach is somewhat high in oxalates, which yes, inhibits calcium absorption (and high oxalates are why many people suffer from bad bones; dairy is very high in oxalates, making its Calcium nigh-useless), but it still packs a punch nutritionally.

Kale and Cabbage are also good, alongside Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, et cetera. Green Smoothies are often quoted as a good way to eat your greens, but the amount of often high-sugar fruits can be a turn off for those on a low-glycemic diet (however, with proper meal planning, even higher-glycemic foods like Oranges and Apples can be digested slowly). Remember that brassicas (such as Kale and Cabbage... and the later-mentioned Broccoli, can be hard to digest).

Avoid Lettuce. Lettuce is not a green leafy. It's an abomination.

4) Nuts and Seeds! Specifically, Almonds, Sunflower Seeds and Flaxseed. Why those three? Almonds are one of the few good sources of Vitamin E, have a hefty wad of Calcium and are an excellent low-glycemic flour to use in place of regular flour or wholegrain flour in recipes. Sunflower Seeds are high in Selenium, and are the single best source of Vitamin E. Next to Almonds and Sunflower Seeds... well, Olives are next, but they contain a significant amount less, and high consumption of them would lead to your fat levels skyrocketing. Alternatively, a *lot* of leafy greens can source a person Vitamin E, but make sure to have a source of fat at the meal too, to enhance its bio-availability.

Flaxseed are the best source of Omega-3s, and should be consumed daily. If you're allergic, consider algae (such as the aforementioned Spirulina and Chorella), or seaweed/algae-sourced Omega-3 tabs.

5) Fermented Foods. Soy Sauce, Miso and Worcestershire Sauce, right?! Well, no. While Worcestershire Sauce isn't riding a sodium high like the other two (and no-sodium varieties generally taste horrible, and are processed to remove the sodium... while low-sodium brands tend to be still pretty high anyway). No, I'm talking about Nut Cheese (listed in the recipes) and Tempé (damn is Tempé a fine beast)! And Sauerkraut. And Kimchi. And a variety of other dishes.

6) Sprouted Foods! Wholegrains, Legumes and Nuts/Seeds! Sprouting is a bit of a pain, but the results enhance the nutrient content of foods, and certain Wholegrains (Wheat and Rye work best) can be sprouted to create a special liquid known as "Rejuvelac" (however, the Sprouted Wheat/Rye would only be suitable for compost after that). Plus, while not the most digestible food, sprouted wholegrains/legumes are edible raw! However, excise caution, for some are still toxic (such as Red Kidney Beans).

Based off of a Jewish traditional food, sprouted bread can be made by blending sprouted grains (and possibly legumes), mixing with some flavor enhancers (salt is the norm, but any flavors should be fine).

7) The Other Veggies. Okay, so, potatoes should be avoided; they really aren't that good for you. Regular Peas and Corn are alright, but there's better. Now, I mentioned Eggplant (Aubergine) before. While not great nutritionally, it *is* a low calorie food, and low-glycemic. Zucchinis too. And Tomatoes, though they have already been mentioned. I'm including Broccoli here, as while it is high in Vitamin C and K... it's kinda "eh" everywhere else. Raw Carrots, and most other tubers should be included here also.

Be careful, as some raw tubers are poisonous, such as potatoes. Sweet Potatoes, while better eaten raw, have enough nutritious value to warrant eating them; they rank among legumes on the "healthy" scale. Keep in mind, that raw tubers can be hard to digest in some individuals.

8) Fruits. Berries are the best. Then other low-glycemic wonders and some superfruits, like Pomegranate, Acai Berry and Plums. Then Low-Glycemic Citrus Fruits, like Grapefruit, Lemons, Limes. Then Oranges. Then pretty much everything else, with Bananas being pretty damned iffy.

9) Wholegrains, Most Cooked Tubers, Tofu. Personally, I'd actually rank Tofu a bit higher than the other two, especially if you eat it homemade with the leftover Okara (Soy Pulp. Yes, it can be used to make things.) However... Wholegrains and Tubers, while nutritious, are... not the best of foods. Legumes over Wholegrains and Tubers, if you can (Sweet Potatoes as the exception).

10) Breast Milk, and ejaculate (male and female). Yummy, I'm sure. I guess flours would go here too, with the exception of low-glycemic flours, such as legume flours and nut/seed flours. Syrups too, Agave Nectar, et cetera...

10) Okay, now everything else. Dress it up however you want. Cholestrol is bad. Food made with additives, binders and fats is bad. Oils are bad.

Remember, these are my personal rankings. Feel free to disagree. I personally think Agave Nectar (even the proper raw stuff) isn't that healthy, but I'll admit it at least has nutritional benefits, alongside Cacao Beans and Green Tea (which I personally don't touch, due to the Caffeine, although slight, present, content).

Recipes

1) Tempé with Red Onion
    Put Tempé on grill. Put some red onion on Tempé (to taste). Grill for 5-10 minutes. Eat.

Simple, tastes awesome, contains a good wad of protein and otherwise excellent nutrition (especially if you have the time/equipment to make some homemade stuff).

2) Falafels
    200g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    1/4 cup (75g) onion, chopped
    1/4 cup (15g) parsley, or cilantro, fresh, chopped
    1 medium garlic clove, minced
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 tsp salt (preferably a no-salt spice blend)
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 Tbsp almond flour (or freshly ground almonds)

Preheat oven to 400ºF.

Combine chickpeas, onion, parsley, garlic, cumin, coriander, salt and baking soda in a food processor or blender. Process until mixture is coarsely pureed and transfer to large bowl. Stir in flour; shape mixture into 4 patties and let stand for 15 minutes.

Spray a large ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat (if you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, make sure to cover the handle of your skillet with aluminum foil before heating). Add patties and cook until golden brown, flipping once, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer pan to oven and bake 10 minutes.

Makes 4 portions.

This recipe is high-protein, and Chickpeas are a good source of a ton of things. If beans give you bad gas, try:
    - Using dried beans rather than canned. While they need to be soaked to be edible, you get way more for your money. Remember to drain off the water afterwards; the water drains off some of the gas-causing bacteria.
    - Having some digestive bacteria such as Acidophillius, or a fermented food like Tempé or Soy Yoghurt.
    - Sprouting the beans. While this is time-consuming, it does make them easier to digest (to the point that they can be eaten raw), and increases nutritional value.

3) No-Salt Spice Blend
    1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
    3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1-1/2 tsp onion powder
    1-1/4 tsp paprika
    1 tsp celery seed (not celery salt)
    1-1/2 tsp white pepper
    1-1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp dried lemon peel
    1 tsp ground black pepper

Blend. And go nuts.

4) Tomato and Mushroom Sauce
    2 cups (500ml) water
    1 onion, chopped
    2-3 cloves garlic, minced
    14 ounces (392ml) tomato puree
    freshly ground pepper
    225g portobello mushrooms, chopped
    110g cremini mushrooms, sliced
    1/8 to 1/6 cup fresh chopped basil

Place ½ cup of water in a large pot. Add 1 cup of the chopped onions and 1 teaspoon of the minced garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion and garlic soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and 3 cups of water. Season with several twists of freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, place the remaining ½ cup of water in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the remaining onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and garlic soften slightly. Add all the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the tomato mixture and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Season with more freshly ground pepper, if desired, and a bit of salt if necessary.

5) Healthy Tomato Puree
    1 onion
    3 stalks celery
    3 sweet peppers
    12 cup tomatoes (quartered)
    Makes approximately 2 litres (4 pints)

Simmer until soft. Press through a sieve, and season to taste with a salt-free salt blend and pepper. Put mixture into heatproof jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Screw on top tightly. Process in a bath of boiling water for 45 minutes.

The easy way around things is just to replace things with healthier equivalents; you're just as likely to make something better as you are to make something worse in recipes. So, salt is replaced with salt-free spice mixes or other flavor enhancers (chives, garlic, onion, pepper), flour with nut or bean flours (almond and chickpea are popular), or just omitted entirely, oil is omitted or used in very small quantities, or replaced with suitable fatfree equivalents... for baking, there's a ton of alternatives to eggs, such as ground flaxseed, and nut/seed milks are incredibly easy to make, and often or not taste better than their counterparts.

6) Nut Cheese
    3 cups (300g) Cashews, soaked 12-14 hours (overnight)
    3 capsules Acidophillius (if you're Vegetarian or Vegan, make sure to get the Vegan capsules)
    2/3 cups rejuvelac (or filtered water. Rejuvelac is made by soaking sprouted Wheat or Rye in water; the water becomes Rejuvelac, and the sprouted Wheat or Rye becomes compost.)

Blend Cashews and Acidophillius until smooth (I suggest cracking the capsules open, rather than just adding them in). Line a sieve with a double thickness of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Transfer the mixture to the sieve, drape the cheesecloth over the top, cover with a towel and leave in a warm place to ripen for 14-16 hours or in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. At this point, it can be blended with other ingredients to make a nice spread, or it can be left to ferment for longer, to increase its taste (this is in theory - remember, if something fermented looks off and smells off, throw it away).

6.5) Herbed Nut Cheese
    1 cup (around 100g? I'm unsure) Nut Cheese
    1 tsp minced green onion
    1/4 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp nutritional yeast, large flakes
    1/4 tsp salt-free spice blend
    1 tsp chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp dried)
    1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
    ---
    dried basil and thyme for the crust

After the Nut Cheese is done fermenting, blend together all ingredients, shape into a round, sprinkle the dried herbs on the outside, and chill for 12 hours to let it set. Afterwards... eat. Thanks to the Sunny Raw Blog for the above two recipes.

7) Almond Milk
    1 cup (100g) almonds
    5-6 cups (1.25l-1.5l) water

Blend. Drain through a sieve, getting off the Almond Pulp (which can either be chucked, or used in recipes; namely baking). Afterwards, either drink plain, or use in recipes plain, or season how you like. Vanilla, frozen bananas, cocoa beans...

I'm Vegan, what about you?

Okay, so, I'm Vegan. You guys may or may not be Vegan. Whatever. This isn't a post to be bashed, 'cause that doesn't help anyone. The following information is for those who give a damn, or those who want to lose weight, those with health problems, et cetera...

Well, going Vegan isn't a magic cure, but generally problems will decrease, especially stomach problems, due to the general fiber intake. Since going Vegan, my IBS is never triggered by what I eat, only if I get stressed. I don't drink Coffee, yet I have probably more energy than most of the random joes out there. There may be an initial transition period for anyone who tries, where they feel awful, or at least iffy, but that's just your body getting used to it.

Any guys looking to lose weight, or just to improve their health... well, Vegans, especially those who eat nutritious wholefoods (or at least not highly processed junk food), generally tend to get a stabilized weight. Diets should be based around beans (around 200g daily); especially chickpeas (and lentils). High in dietary fiber (which makes them filling), easy to use, and a good source of nutrients.

Chickpeas have a good whollop of B vitamins, even B6 - Pyridoxine, which is one of the most common nutrients to be deficient in, due to its scarcity, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc (100g contains 25% RDA), Copper and Manganese, alongside having the obvious no cholestrol, and a nice helping of antioxidants and phytonutrients, which alongside varying health benefits, can halt or at least help a variety of conditions, especially cancer.

For those going "but there's so many carbohydrates! I'll surely gain tons of weight!". There's no merit to low carb, unless you're diabetic (in which case it's more a case of glycemic values; all the recipes listed should be low glycemic). The Atkins diet is horribly unhealthy, and often leads to heart disease and strokes, alongside kidney problems due to the excess protein (protein is only really required at about 10%, perhaps 20% if you're a bodybuilder). High fat diets also tend to cause drowsiness, due to fats taking longer and being harder to digest (however, a small source of fats at every meal, such as nuts like almonds, can reduce the GI of the meal, and help nutrients be absorbed by the body).

I'm not a medical practitioner, so this isn't gospel. But it only takes a bit of research to find out this stuff. The "Eat-to-Live" diet is easily one of the best lifestyles to adopt, being super healthy, ensuring a late death if by natural causes, and less sickness than the average joe. Eh, take my word for it, study up, or ignore me, whatever. Hopefully some of you guys will find these recipes/information useful. For anyone worried about protein and such, and such... yeah, there's tons of fully Vegan bodybuilders, such as highly-muscular Robert Cleeke, who's been known to eat as a Raw Vegan on occasion.

Again, this information is just there for those who want it. But I hope someone finds some use out of all this.
    Ongekibou
    Last edited by Ongekibou; 11-14-2010, 05:22 PM.
    08/11/09: 7" BPEL (6.5" NBPEL) x 5" EG
    Recent:
    8" BPEL (7.5" NBPEL) x 5" EG
    Goal: 1' BPEL x 6" MEG

Word! i'm a vegitarian, and i fully embrace the no food with a face rule. however i believe in the power of dairy. a diet high in calcium from dairy helps to block the absorption of fats. and it tastes yummy.
    The force is strong with you young Skywalker. Obi Wan has trained you well.

before: 6X4.5
    now: 7X5
    next: 8X6

Comment

Great recipe!

Chickpeas are also a very good source of Arginine I read.
      Vulcan
      7.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>8.125"BPEL (current)
      5.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>5.75"EG (current)

Comment

Well I am not a vegan but I do like chickpeas ,thanks for the recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by RockstarParkingDude View Post
          Word! i'm a vegitarian, and i fully embrace the no food with a face rule. however i believe in the power of dairy. a diet high in calcium from dairy helps to block the absorption of fats. and it tastes yummy.
          First off, rock on! And as I say with anything, nothing I say should be taken personally. Unless I hate you. But I don't, so yay!

Hm, I suppose each to their own (something I'll admit I have a problem with, eh), but there's a lot of evidence against dairy, such as lactose-intolerance (which is among Gluten and Soy as most common allergen), toxic Vitamin D levels, studies showing dairy causing cancer, among other things, and calcium malabsorption due to strong oxalate presence. Plus, less is more with calcium, since too much causes problems. Diets in Asian countries generally don't use a lot of dairy produce, and there's been studies that show that on average, their bone density is stronger (despite diets in Asian countries generally having a lot of refined grains, eg: little nutritious value).

There's better fat-blockers, like berries, or pretty much any high in antioxidants/phytonutrients. Flaxseed, Blueberries... eh, there's a list somewhere.

Though, human breast milk... suck away.

Source: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?3737-Arguments-against-dairy-products (which in itself contains many of these arguments along with properly valid sources... naysayers be darned!)

Originally posted by vulcan View Post
          Great recipe!

Chickpeas are also a very good source of Arginine I read.
          Haha, around 1300mg per 100g, though, most legumes have the same amount. Good source of protein though, and around 3000mg of Glutamic Acid; the healthy, yet still flavor-enhancing form of the very much unhealthy Monosodium Glutamate. Chickpeas are easily the coolest bean due to their high B6, Zinc and Calcium content. Zinc especially, which is a bit of a pain in the ass to source otherwise (you can only eat so many nuts/seeds before your C/P/F percents get skewed).

Fatfree Vegan is a great site for recipes, being fairly health conscious, though, replacing any salt in recipes with salt replacement blends and wheat flour/cornstarch with lower glycemic flours like Chickpea and Almonds is better health-wise.

Oh, a great, extremely high protein food that's often overlooked for it's "oh no, surely that'll taste horrible name": Nutritional Yeast. I sprinkle that stuff into anything. Curry? Smoothie? Salad? Bam, adds a great range of background flavor that really adds body to dishes, and enhances taste due to its, again, extremely high protein content. Plus, as the name suggests, it's an excellent source of B Vits, containing crazy amounts (over 100% RDA Thiamin in ten-freaking-grams). Some brands taste better than others, so it's good to try a few out, and see which one suits you (if any; it is a bit marmite-y in love-hate scenarios). Also, it makes a great sauce by itself, and mixed in with a home-fermented nut cheese (which is ridiculously easy to make, fermenting at both refrigerator and regular day-to-day temperatures), it makes a fantastic spread (which, no doubt, would solidify back into a block if given adequate time to ferment).
          Recent:

Comment

I like the falafel recipe (by the way, what do you normally eat with falafels?)

I like spice as well, but i can't tell exactly what that is!
            My progress journal / useful PE links

Comment

Originally posted by blink2000 View Post
              I like the falafel recipe (by the way, what do you normally eat with falafels?)

I like spice as well, but i can't tell exactly what that is!
              Ah, the spice is designed to replace salt, since salt is loaded with sodium, and excess sodium leads to heart problems, water retention, headaches, etc... and all the lo-salt or no-salt brands on the market are possibly unhealthier than regular salt given recent studies.

Honestly, once you ditch the salt, after a couple of days/weeks, your tastebuds adapt, and salty foods make you retch. I know from experience, oy.

Hm, they make a great snack/finger food by themselves, so I'd put them with some sort of dip... hm, like:

Tomato and Mushroom Sauce
              2 cups (500ml) water
              1 onion, chopped
              2-3 cloves garlic, minced
              14 ounces (392ml) tomato puree
              freshly ground pepper
              225g portobello mushrooms, chopped
              110g cremini mushrooms, sliced
              1/8 to 1/6 cup fresh chopped basil

Place ½ cup of water in a large pot. Add 1 cup of the chopped onions and 1 teaspoon of the minced garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion and garlic soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and 3 cups of water. Season with several twists of freshly ground pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, place the remaining ½ cup of water in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the remaining onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and garlic soften slightly. Add all the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the tomato mixture and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Season with more freshly ground pepper, if desired, and a bit of salt if necessary.

Healthy Tomato Puree
              1 onion
              3 stalks celery
              3 sweet peppers
              12 cup tomatoes (quartered)
              Makes approximately 2 litres (4 pints)

Simmer until soft. Press through a sieve, and season to taste with a salt-free salt blend and pepper. Put mixture into heatproof jars to within 1/2 inch of the top. Screw on top tightly. Process in a bath of boiling water for 45 minutes.

The easy way around things is just to replace things with healthier equivalents; you're just as likely to make something better as you are to make something worse in recipes. So, salt is replaced with salt-free spice mixes or other flavor enhancers (chives, garlic, onion, pepper), flour with nut or bean flours (almond and chickpea are popular), or just omitted entirely, oil is omitted or used in very small quantities, or replaced with suitable fatfree equivalents... for baking, there's a ton of alternatives to eggs, such as ground flaxseed, and nut/seed milks are incredibly easy to make, and often or not taste better than their counterparts.

Nut Cheese
              3 cups (300g) Cashews, soaked 12-14 hours (overnight)
              3 capsules Acidophillius (if you're Vegetarian or Vegan, make sure to get the Vegan capsules)
              2/3 cups rejuvelac (or filtered water. Rejuvelac is made by soaking sprouted Wheat or Rye in water; the water becomes Rejuvelac, and the sprouted Wheat or Rye becomes compost.)

Blend Cashews and Acidophillius until smooth (I suggest cracking the capsules open, rather than just adding them in). Line a sieve with a double thickness of cheesecloth and place over a bowl. Transfer the mixture to the sieve, drape the cheesecloth over the top, cover with a towel and leave in a warm place to ripen for 14-16 hours or in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. At this point, it can be blended with other ingredients to make a nice spread, or it can be left to ferment for longer, to increase its taste. The "Dr.Oz" gourmet Nut Cheese brand is made this way (90 days fermentation), and reviews for it are nothing but positive.

Herbed Nut Cheese
              1 cup (around 100g? I'm unsure) Nut Cheese
              1 tsp minced green onion
              1/4 tsp lemon juice
              1/2 tsp nutritional yeast, large flakes
              1/4 tsp salt-free spice blend
              1 tsp chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp dried)
              1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
              ---
              dried basil and thyme for the crust

After the Nut Cheese is done fermenting, blend together all ingredients, shape into a round, sprinkle the dried herbs on the outside, and chill for 12 hours to let it set. Afterwards... eat. Thanks to the Sunny Raw Blog for the above two recipes.

Almond Milk
              1 cup (100g) almonds
              5-6 cups (1.25l-1.5l) water

Blend. Drain through a sieve, getting off the Almond Pulp (which can either be chucked, or used in recipes; namely baking). Afterwards, either drink plain, or use in recipes plain, or season how you like. Vanilla, frozen bananas, cocoa beans...

Hope y'all get some use out of this.
              Recent:

Comment

I love garbonzo beans to bad i can't have them.

For I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee of thine wounds, saith the Lord Jeremiah 30:17

Comment

more good (healthy) recipes
                  My progress journal / useful PE links

Comment

ongekibu - salt is not a bad thing. nothing in proper moderation is truly bad for you.

if fact, without enought salt in your diet, your cns system could get muffed up. sodium/potassium channels and such. the real problem with salt is in processed foods, where there is an overabundance. also your taste buds don't adapt to the lack of salt. your saliva will carry a higher sodium level to make up for the lack of it in your food. without salt to electrolyze your palate, flavor molecules cannot connect to your tastebuds. thats why saltless food tastes bland, only about 10% of the flavor molucules are actually bonding to teh receptors..

good info altogether though, just keep in mind readers this is slightly biased.

there are many many health benefits of both the vegan and non vegan diet as well, and studys are still up in the air about it. the biggest benefit is that food that is realllllly shitty for you is rarely vegan.

what we need to keep in mind is that there is more than one definition for healthy.

EDIT: im not being harsh, i just used to do the vegan thing and it can be very challenging to get everything you need nutritionally if you don't really give it your all. if you are a picky eater (like me) this might not be for you. if you don't like to cook, same goes.
                    RockstarParkingDude
                    Last edited by RockstarParkingDude; 11-14-2010, 02:50 PM.

Comment

that said!

sundried tomato and garbanzo spread.

1 can garbanzo's rinsed well.
                      5 basil leaves
                      2 sage leaves
                      1/2 bunch parsely
                      EVOO
                      sun dried tomato strips (make your own)
                      1 clove garlic
                      1/4 cup tahini
                      1/2 tsp nutmeg, dry ginger, coriander, or your favorite dry spice.
                      1tbsp salt
                      1 tsp pepper

combine all ingredients except evoo and tahini in a food processor - puree.
                      add garbanzo beans - puree more
                      drizzle in EVOO until smooth.

makes a bad ass spread - very close to hummus in texture, more italian in flavor

Comment

Man, Chickpea allergy, kingpole? Diabetic?

Updated the first post with a load of information, but as I keep saying, don't take my word as gospel (as I am just a humble nutrition nerd)! Thanks for all the positive comments, guys.

Also,

RockstarParkingDude - Eh. Either way, Vegans tend to be healthier, and a lot of the bigger name nutritionists tend to advocate a Vegan diet. Plus, even official food association websites admit that "a vegetable-only diet has the potential to have more health benefits than that of not", and honestly, considering the massive benefits of plant foods, it's not surprising. Although my comments at the very start of the post, such as "I am a Vegan, blah, blah, blah", are meant to convey that "yes, I am biased".

Salt moderation is fine, but most people fail to moderate it, plus, moderation means using barely any at all. It's hardly worth it. However, getting enough Sodium in your diet is important. Hence "nutritionally-balanced".

I agree than some of my quirks shouldn't be adopted by everyone, and low-glycemic, while in theory, and in some tests is good, may not be good for the whole. Some people go raw, some people go low-glycemic, some people go low-carb, some people go stupid-high protein, some people go Vegan, some people go Vegetarian, some people do nothing, some people die of strokes. We've all got different diets, and they're all as equally weird as the next.

But picky eater... no, I get that. If it hasn't been clear, I'm a mega picky eater. The foods I tend to suggest are the foods I actually like the most (yes, I quite like green leafy vegetables. So sue me. And if I could eat nothing but Chickpea Tempé... I would).

But yeah, Vegetarian is good by my books! And nice recipe!
                        Ongekibou
                        Last edited by Ongekibou; 11-14-2010, 05:11 PM.
                        Recent:

Comment

im a nutrition nerd too! yay! and a chef!

use kosher salt. not iodized. the grains are much bigger and you will be much less likely to oversalt your food.

i have to disagree about salt though. salt is not bad. moderation does not mean only a tiny little bit. it means the amount that maximizes the flavor of your food taste, before it becomes over salted. we need salt. this is why wild animals seek out salt licks. if you don't but food with salt in it - ie. fresh produce, no sodium added broths (chicken, beef, vegetable), and buy meats (if thats your thing) from a butcher rather than walmart, your salt will not go above a healthy level. if you eat 2 bags of doritos a day, and get food from burger king as your lunch, drink only pepsi..... etc. yes you should avoid salt, you get too much in your processed foods.

a point of note: a chicken breast in a marinate from wegmans will contain about 240 mg sodium. a chicken breast that you marinate and season yourself will probably have about 100mg sodium. this is where the difference lies.

i like your spice blend too, but it doesn't replace salt. salt gives ions to your saliva which makes food taste more like what it is. take a piece of apple. one slice with about 5 grains of kosher salt and one without. one will taste apple-ier.

i think that vegan is a great way to go, not knocking it at all. vegans are healthier in general, but much of that is not to do with the diet but the lifestyle. vegans don't usually eat at mcdonalds.

personally, i think that the healthiest lifestyle diet wise is to eat whatever you want, in moderation. meat, dairy, veggies, starches etc. but prepare it all yourself. the problem with the american diet is processed foods. anything in a can is usually a bad idea (with the exception of cooked beans - for simplicity's sake) and canned tomatoes (whole plum tomatoes only) aside from that avoid cans. avoid preservatives.

avoid cheap food. shop more often in smaller mounts. make things like sauces in large batches and freeze them in small tuperwares.

as a vegan you do need to watch your protien intake vs your starch intake. it is fairly easy to slowly waste away if you arent really on top of your diet. make sure you are getting complete proteins, rice and beans usually make a complete protein, hence it's popularity in so many cultrues.

Comment

i have an extremely sensative palate. that said, i'm not a bitch, i love trying new foods. i just usually don't like them. green veggies are often too bitter for me to enjoy. even when prepared well. beef has a much too pungent flavor for me. cabbage is extremely off putting. very sharp cheeses i can only handle in very small amounts. a piece of parm cheese the size of a pea will overwhelme my palate to the point where i can barely eat it. spicy food.... no thanks.

little known fact... the human body has about anywhere between 1000 and 9000 taste buds. those people who can eat anything, the garbage disposal type people... you know one. they are on the low end. the people who eat there pasta with a bit of melted butter, won't eat broccoli, and hate red wine, etc. have an overabundance of taste buds. childern have an increased number as well, hence the grilled cheese. its not your fault you are a picky eater.... its genetic.

also, there are 5 types of taste bud and we all have them in different proportions.

i took so much abuse as a professional chef because of this, then last year i found this out and now it all makes sense.

Comment

i made a dinner special entree tonight that you might be interested in trying.

i served it with sea bass, however you could easily leave it out and substitute with a protein of you choice, like a breaded pan fried tofu steak. or a nice piece of eggplant or portabello.

it was serves over a beautiful salad of lentils, fresh green chickpea, dried apricot, cilanto, lime juice and zest EVOO and a tiny pinch cinnamon and cayenne(1/4 tsp. just enough to bring a warmth to the palate not spicy)- salt and pepper to taste. serve over a bed of arugala with fried potato hay (super duper skinny french fries). pure bliss.

Comment

Working...
                              X