X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into shape.

Any is appreciated.
    Dontrike
    Last edited by Dontrike; 05-03-2012, 11:49 PM.

As a wise man once said "Run Forest, Ruuuuuuuuuuuun!" Start running more moniter your diet. You have alot of weight to lose so for you at the moment its just common sense stuff eat less carbs eat no shitty foods and get atleast 45 minutes of moderate-strenous excersise in.
    Good Luck with your gains,
    CMP
    Measurements as of 22/9/12
    183mm BPEL
    120mm MSEG
    135mm BEG
    188mm BPFSL

Comment

most infomercials.
      Dontrike

Comment

No losing weight is pure nutrition and fad workouts like them are usually bullshit and both of them have a serious nutritional side.
        Good Luck with your gains,
        CMP
        Measurements as of 22/9/12
        183mm BPEL
        120mm MSEG
        135mm BEG
        188mm BPFSL

Comment

and the like.
          Dontrike

Comment

Well, you should encourage whoever fills the fridge to buy certain items. Fruits and vegetables are not expensive and they are what you're body desires. You can also do other simple things that cost nothing such as increasing your water consumption and not drinking calories unless you need too. Unnecessary drinks and things to avoid = soda, beer, stuff with added sugar. Some good stuff to drink is natural fruit juice with no added sugar and skim milk, however for a guy you're size you're body probably craves most of your daily caloric intake in solids. Don't eat any saturated/trans fats either.

It seems your main goal is to lose fat lbs and not gain much lean mass. This is realistic since it's almost impossible to lose a substantial amount of weight and put lean muscle on simultaneously. Your routine is alright, those body-weight resistance exercises are good for where you're at now and they burn calories. Although I think 400 crunches is a) too much b) too time consuming and c) not nearly as effective as other core and abdominal work that can be done in half the time. Try to look into bicycle style crunches (left elbow to right knee and visa versa), 50-60 a day 2 or three times a week should get your core strong along with leg raises. Do more pushups too. I've found that doing more intense routines (reps/sets) on a muscle group and giving yourself more time to heal is way more effective than just touching a muscle group every other day.

Overall man, take it easy on those simple carbs and do lots of cardio for weight loss, any other training can't be bad so go ahead with that too, just keep that heart rate up when you do your exercises (kinda like circuit training), for instance do your 15 dips, go right to the ground and hit abs, as soon as there burned out, flip over and do 10 or 15 pushups. Keeping your pulse going will burn fat.

If time permits I would say try to get in 45 minutes-1hr of cardio four to five days a week, do your body weight resistance every 3rd day and MOST IMPORTANTLY, watch what you eat. Alot of guys are too macho for diets, but there is a science to it. If you want to lose fat, you need to count calories and don't have a surplus no matter what. You will lose the weight by just eating your recommended amount for your body weight with intense training. Go into a caloric deficit and you'll lose the weight faster. If you stick to this plan you can probably reach your goal in a 8-10 months if you're disciplined.

Comment

shouldn't happen.........
              Dontrike
              Last edited by Dontrike; 05-03-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

OK. Your 400 crunches and 400 squats are excessive. There's no way your doing these exercises properly from what you're saying. QUALITY>QUANTITY. Doing 80 of each slow and controlled will benefit you way more than doing this insane routine. I see you're motivated, just do some research and make a schedule. And yes when you say "not stop", consistency is the only way to achieve long term results and a new body. Just like PE and cementing gains. All that work in the gym is pointless if you don't make amends to what you consume and put in your body. Cut 300-500 calories off your daily consumption and burn a few hundred each day too, in 45 minutes you can easily burn 250 calories at a very moderate pace. Remember 1 LB of Body Fat= 3,500 Calories so technically speaking if you follow a diet, you have 245,000 Calories to shed before you reach your goal, you can do it with discipline!

Burn 500 Calories a day x 7 days a week = 3500
                3500 X 4 = 14,000

^This plan gets you down to 205 in 17.5 Months

Burn 700 Calories a day x 7 days a week = 4900
                4900 x 4 = 19,600

^^ This gets you down to 205 in a year

Take back what I said earlier about 8-10 Months, because that would be extreme and would probably drive you crazy. Also don't know how healthy that could be.

In a calorie deficiency, you need to eat high nutritional value foods, a tuna filet is 160 calories and has 25g of protein. Just an example, eat stuff like that with good ratios of cals/nutrients

Comment

Originally posted by Dontrike View Post
                  Hope this is in the right area.

Back story time first. I was a fit kid, always running around, but around the time of High School I stopped being active, mostly because of my mother's sickness and always needing to stay home.

Back in September I started exercising so I could bike 45 miles to my first home, lost some weight and completed my journey, but I stopped during the cold fall and winter in Ohio. I worked out for about a month, every other day, doing 200 squats, 400 crunches, and 30 push-ups by the end in January. Well with my recent break up with my girlfriend I haven't done it since, but I would finally like to get back into it.

I also hope to do the same bike trip this year, but bike all the way back so it would be close to 100 miles before my birthday in early October.

I am 6' 3'' and 275 lbs. (at least that is what it was the last time I weighed myself X amount of unrememberable years ago) and I would like to get back down to 200-220. I just hate the way my body is right now. Most of my excess weight is in my stomach, rear, and thigh area, with a little in my chest.

I guess I am writing all of this to get some advice on the proper way to do it. I don't have any money to get a membership nor anything at the moment (hopefully soon).

Any help is appreciated.
                  One of the main issues right now for you is that you are carrying far too much weight. You might think that the focus should be on doing sets and sets of various exericises like never before. However, I think you may very well injure yourself being overzealous in the process. The best route is to concentrate on your diet. Like others have already correctly stated, start eating cleanly : simple carbs such as breads pasta have to be reduced, get more fruits and veggies in your daily intake......and this is key .....avoid where you can processed foods of all stripes .....cookies , microwave dinners , sodas etc etc......as your body can't get anything useful from them and ends up just making you fat in the long term ...

70% of getting in shape and losing weight is diet alone .......that old adage ...abs are made in the kitchen is oh so true !

Water ...Water ...Water drink to your hearts content and this will aid the weight loss process as well as purify your overall system.
                  As for now make sure your body can handle an exercise regimen without putting too much undue stress on your joints and back.

When you feel you are responding well to a healthy diet good hydration and a progressive exercise routine ....then you can look at those fancy P90X fitness programs.

Comment

work incoming.
                    Dontrike
                    Last edited by Dontrike; 05-03-2012, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Long term nutritional intake is indeed important, but for most people, a short term 'deficit' in nutrition will not kill them. In other words, what is currently available for you to eat is not as important as how MUCH OF IT you are eating. You can still eat crap and get in better shape. Don't believe me? Look up the twinkie diet. Wait, I'll find it for you: Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Now, again short term eating like crap is not horrible and will not shorten your life. So, given that you expect to have better nutritional options in the semi-near future, don't worry so much about 'what' you are eating and worry more over actual caloric totals. Most people should not consume more than 1700-2000 calories total per day. Most people on average, eat most of their calories at night. That's probably the biggest dietary mistake you can make. The metabolism begins to slow after the afternoon hours. You can eat a small breakfast, a bigger lunch and then a massive dinner and even if your calories are no more than 2,000 for the day, you can still be fighting an uphill battle. Even if you are exercising enough to create a caloric deficit where you are burning more calories than you consume. You should eat the opposite of how most people do if you want to lose weight. Your biggest meal being in the morning (you've just fasted all night for 6-10 hours of sleep), a smaller meal for lunch and the smallest meal at night.

There's more to read online, but I'll leave that up to you since you're serious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by malehanger View Post
                        Long term nutritional intake is indeed important, but for most people, a short term 'deficit' in nutrition will not kill them. In other words, what is currently available for you to eat is not as important as how MUCH OF IT you are eating. You can still eat crap and get in better shape. Don't believe me? Look up the twinkie diet. Wait, I'll find it for you: Twinkie diet helps nutrition professor lose 27 pounds - CNN.com

Now, again short term eating like crap is not horrible and will not shorten your life. So, given that you expect to have better nutritional options in the semi-near future, don't worry so much about 'what' you are eating and worry more over actual caloric totals. Most people should not consume more than 1700-2000 calories total per day. Most people on average, eat most of their calories at night. That's probably the biggest dietary mistake you can make. The metabolism begins to slow after the afternoon hours. You can eat a small breakfast, a bigger lunch and then a massive dinner and even if your calories are no more than 2,000 for the day, you can still be fighting an uphill battle. Even if you are exercising enough to create a caloric deficit where you are burning more calories than you consume. You should eat the opposite of how most people do if you want to lose weight. Your biggest meal being in the morning (you've just fasted all night for 6-10 hours of sleep), a smaller meal for lunch and the smallest meal at night.

There's more to read online, but I'll leave that up to you since you're serious about it.
                        That is definitely true, the size of the portions and watching that is important, I even know of someone that lost weight only eating McDonalds while also working out and exercising.

The Large, medium, small is definitely interesting and the logic is sound, never quite thought of it that way. I definitely have quite a lot to learn. In the process of coming up with a general plan for exercise.

Comment

Again, I stress SHORT TERM eating habits. It's definitely important in the long term to eventually adopt a much healthier eating life style.

Comment

Originally posted by malehanger View Post
                            Again, I stress SHORT TERM eating habits. It's definitely important in the long term to eventually adopt a much healthier eating life style.
                            Right. I don't have the money to eat that unhealthy anyways. Last few days I watched what I ate and if I am correct I had about 1500-1800 calories.

Today I biked 8.5 miles to get a new social security card (it is unfortunate the branch moved last Friday and their website said nothing), so I definitely did something something today.

Comment

7 mile bike ride, although my legs didn't quite like it and were hurting about 2 miles into it from yesterday, but I powered through even with the 20 mph winds. Definitely a nice exercise.

Comment

Working...
                              X