Fat Pad Reduction Exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Pad Reduction Exercises

I'm sure many of you have wondered, searched, and asked about how to reduce your fat pad percentage; the answer many give is there is no specific exercise to target that area, and they recommend you lose fat overall from running and whatnot. Well, I believe--why did I say that?==--I know that there is always a way to target any part of your body, just need to find out how. There are a few grueling, intense workouts I know that when I did them, my stomach and lower stomach area was burning, and that's about one to two inches away from my fat pad region. I have less than .25" of fat pad. What I know is the area that these workouts target, and the surrounding areas get a little bit of a burn too. And you can get a nice pack started up pretty soon.

I'm terrible with exercise names but I'm sure from my descriptions and the help of some videos you visualize what I have detailed. There are two of them. I couldn't find it using a few search engines, but these are the names I'm giving them.
    Decline Abdominal Medicine Ball Sit Up
    Decline Abdominal Medicine Ball Sit Up and Throw

First, take a look at this video on how to do a decline abdominal sit up. The angle that the elbows are pointing is perfect however where the arms are and the hands will not work for these exercises. Lower the arm so that your hands either rest on your upper chest or preferably, remain about an inch or less away from touching the upper chest. Simply, between the nipples. Next open up your hands and make a W for winner with your thumbs. Depending on the size of the ball and your fingers, you will grasp the ball on the side. The goal is to be holding the ball away from your upper chest rather than the way this guy does it. He has the ball in the right area, but it's being held to his upper chest, which will not do what you want. Once you've got the hang of what I mean, you're almost ready to do the following exercises.

Breathing
    Breathing is key; you must do it right otherwise you're not going to get as many reps as you normally would. If you are holding your breath your muscles aren't getting oxygen, and that's what allows more use out of them. Take a breath before you start your set, exhale as you go out, and inhale as you go down. Repeat.

Form vs Number
    This should just be common knowledge, but since it's so important I'll cover it as well. I do not care how many you can do of these, the only way you're really going to work yourself out consistently is to have a good form. 5 good exercises beat 50 shitty, half-assed exercises in the long run. When you're truly working those muscles you will feel pain and exhaustion, and you probably won't be able to do the reps at the same speed. At that point try for 3-5 more reps. If you cannot do them right, then stop and take a break.

Sets and Reps
    Only weak-sauces decide to only do a certain number of repetitions, and therefore I do not advocate that method. I count how many reps I do, but I don't aim for a number. I go until I'm shaking and am exhausted. If you have a partner, have them count in their head for you so that you aren't distracted. You want to focus when exercising. Speed doesn't matter, but form does. If you can't do them right, then stop. Sets. I usually do 4. But if you're starting out, I'd stick with three. This is how it should look.

1st set: however many reps you can do. Break [30-60 seconds unless you have a partner]
    2nd set: however many reps you can do. Break
    3rd set: however many reps you can do.

Decline Abdominal Medicine Ball Sit Up
    Positioning: Lay on your back at a decline. Resting the knuckle of the thumb on your upper chest, or holding it very close, grab a ball. Elbows should be pointed out.
    Movement: Lift your body up pulling on the abs. While raising yourself up, keep the ball the same distance from the body. Once up you've gone up flex the abdominal region. Go down (most likely inhaling). That's one repetition.

Decline Abdominal Medicine Ball Sit Up and Throw

Note: This exercise requires a partner. throwing should be done like basketball players.
    Positioning: Lay on your back at a decline. Resting the knuckle of the thumb on your upper chest, or holding it very close, grab a ball. Elbows should be pointed out.
    Movement: While in the up position, your partner throws the ball to you. Catch it and lower your body inhaling. Exhaling Lift up body, and as you reach the top throw the ball back to your partner, flexing the abdominal area. Stay up. Partner catches ball and immediately throws it back to you. Catch it while still up and then go down. That's one repetition.
    Larger
    Last edited by Larger; 04-29-2009, 03:29 AM. Reason: It's a sit up, not a fraking crunch...
    "Why pay for what you can get free"
    How PE Works
    (8/18/08) BPFL 4.12 FG 4.37 BPEL 6.75 EG 5.37
    (3/08/09) BPFL 4.16 FG 4.25 BPEL 6.61 EG 5.25 After 7 months of no PE
    (4/13/09) BPFL 4.18 FG 4.50 BPEL 6.75 EG 5.5

Lesson: PE WORKS
    "We learn from failure, not from success!" - Bram Stoker
    PE90X Routine

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Also I recommend this website, which has about 8 lower abdominal exercises: Lower Abdominal Exercises | Lower Abdominal Workouts

I tried some of them out at the gym yesterday and they work wonders on the abs. Take a look at the V-up sit ups.

Also, lay down flat on the floor. Lift your legs up, then place them back down on the floor. Repeat the exercise. It will work your lower abs/fat pad.

I've been doing ab exercises and my entire abdominal region has muscles bulging out.

One more VERY important muscle that needs to be exercised: your obliques. Perform the ''Side Plank'' exercise, while moving up and down. Watch this video. YouTube - Elite Abs 7 - Plank and Side Plank
    Starting stats: October 15th, 2008 - NBPEL: 6.25' EG: 5.00'

Current stats October 15th, 2009 - (100% erection) NBPEL: 7.20' EG: 5.375'

Goal: NBPEL: 8' EG: 6' (objective: girth)

TGC Theory

A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud

Comment

The only way to reduce body fat is through diet.

Weight loss/Fat loss is always 85% of the equation. Fitness is the rest.

As for as abdominal exercises, Planks will always be better than crunches as crunches force too much contraction of the abdominals over time and can cause a reduction in range of motion while planks will work the entire abdominal region in one eccentric motion which will actually do more for strength and looks.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernJoe View Post
        The only way to reduce body fat is through diet.

Weight loss/Fat loss is always 85% of the equation. Fitness is the rest.

As for as abdominal exercises, Planks will always be better than crunches as crunches force too much contraction of the abdominals over time and can cause a reduction in range of motion while planks will work the entire abdominal region in one eccentric motion which will actually do more for strength and looks.
        Agreed, to reduce fat pad you need cardio as well as lower abdomnal crunches or planks which ever one causes you to feel it hardest in the lower ab region.
        Stay away from the beer!

For I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee of thine wounds, saith the Lord Jeremiah 30:17

Comment

I would have to say that yes, the best way to lose overall body fat is to work the entire body; no exercise can target a certain area for fat. Fat and muscle are two different things. You build muscle, it doesn't form. I wish I was a little more clear-headed when I posted the thread to explain that. The best way to reduce body fat overall would be diet and cardio without a doubt. When you do core-work you might burn a smidgen of calories from fat in that region, but a very small amount maybe. It isn't something that works very fast.

I would recommend doing the sit up--according to my roommate those are sit ups, not crunches. I know . After doing the sit ups and you're exhausted then go for a run for as long as you can. Also I think you should train your entire body, not just your fat pad or stomach. Use this calculator. My daily caloric intake is between 5,000-6,000 because I'm trying to gain. A healthy weight at my height is 226. I'm 188. Heh. So what I recommend is looking at what your caloric intake is to maintain and count how many calories you eat and reduce it. Eat six times a day, to make yourself full easier. I eat 6 times a day, to steadily increase in weight.

I don't drink much beer, I'm a fan of hard liquor.
          How PE Works

PE90X Routine

Comment

Originally posted by figMiNT View Post
            I would have to say that yes, the best way to lose overall body fat is to work the entire body; no exercise can target a certain area for fat. Fat and muscle are two different things. You build muscle, it doesn't form. I wish I was a little more clear-headed when I posted the thread to explain that. The best way to reduce body fat overall would be diet and cardio without a doubt. When you do core-work you might burn a smidgen of calories from fat in that region, but a very small amount maybe. It isn't something that works very fast.

I would recommend doing the sit up--according to my roommate those are sit ups, not crunches. I know . After doing the sit ups and you're exhausted then go for a run for as long as you can. Also I think you should train your entire body, not just your fat pad or stomach. Use this calculator. My daily caloric intake is between 5,000-6,000 because I'm trying to gain. A healthy weight at my height is 226. I'm 188. Heh. So what I recommend is looking at what your caloric intake is to maintain and count how many calories you eat and reduce it. Eat six times a day, to make yourself full easier. I eat 6 times a day, to steadily increase in weight.

I don't drink much beer, I'm a fan of hard liquor.
            I would give you a rep point for this but it may spit at me.

Im going to start doing planks becuase crunches now are not cutting it, to easy.
            kingpole
            Retired Moderator
            PEGym Hero
            Last edited by kingpole; 04-19-2009, 10:13 PM. Reason: I really did mean to say fot!

For I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee of thine wounds, saith the Lord Jeremiah 30:17

Comment

Good call, I don't like to just do one exercise over and over, I always work my biceps and triceps with several different exercises. Planks are good. Crunches are easy, this thread's opening post should mention sit ups, not crunches. I usually do sit ups, and when I'm on my last set I end with a few crunches.

Originally posted by kingpole
              I would give youo a rep point fot this but it may spit at me.
              I really want to know what may spit at you KP.
              How PE Works

PE90X Routine

Comment

Good call, I don't like to just do one exercise over and over, I always work my biceps and triceps with several different exercises. Planks are good. Crunches are easy, this thread's opening post should mention sit ups, not crunches. I usually do sit ups, and when I'm on my last set I end with a few crunches.

I really want to know what may spit at you KP.
                The rep button. It may get mad at me and say i gave enough rep points for the month. I'll try.......here goes....Are you ready???
                kingpole
                Retired Moderator
                PEGym Hero
                Last edited by kingpole; 04-19-2009, 10:24 PM. Reason: I really did mean to say Ig....Really!...its a new word i made up!

Comment

Sorry error on page.....Oh well i gave the thread five stars!

Comment

Oh no worries, hahahaha. I thought your cat had a little bit of camel in her.
                    How PE Works

PE90X Routine

Comment

Oh no worries, hahahaha. I thought your cat had a little bit of camel in her.
                      The little bitch thinks she can type now. Don't mind if she just lays her head on the keyboards but when she starts pressing keys it screws things up.

Comment

I would really like to test my theory out, this is not proven. And since I'm lacking in the fat pad and gaining weight department I cannot test this out effectively. If you are not a fan of working out much, then please PM me or post on here that you would like to try this out. I'm going to work on getting more descriptions on here. I have a friend who is doing this as I have instructed him, along with running, and he has noticed more definition.

If you would like to do this, please put up your NBPEL and BPEL and we will see what the change is over time. I think this process would take about 90 days to see big changes. At the very least, I have more workouts in mind to target your lower region, so you will have a nice six pack.
                        How PE Works

PE90X Routine

Comment

Good luck to you - I know how very frustrating this can be - my best friend had man boobs. He used to wear a ladies sports bra to keep himself flat. After he lost a little weight, the man boobs went down a lot.

Comment

Working...
                          X