Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression

Hey guys.
    Do you think Depression, or Depressive Disorder, which has now been officially recognized as a Mental Disorder in the DSM-IV, is even worse than cancer?

Many of us have experienced it, and have overcome it...but what about the ones who haven't?
    A soccer player in Germany(Goalkeeper) jumped in front of a train and got smothered, because he was depressed.

Depression can strike anyone and at anytime. It is gut wrenching, especially if you are a sensitive person.
    Why I consider depression to be such a massive Pain in the Ass is:

1) Because it is very recurrent. It keeps coming and going and is equivalent to that of a slow, painful death.
    2) When you are generally depressed, NOTHING seems to go right. Absolutely nothing. You interpret everything thats happening to you, in the light of depression.
    3) There is no escape...you feel trapped and helpless..
    4) It can maim you, and riddle you of your confidence and mental stability.

So, what do you think? Any depressive episodes that you guys have experienced, please share them here.
    Good day.
    Check out my progress log: https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...-remake-4.html
    Starting BPEL - 6.00 After 3 weeks BPEL - 6.75

You picked the right day for this post! (Tax day).

Comment

Tax days are a bastard! Totally man. I think we have a problem as men, saying "oh, its depression, i can handle this, or else i am weak". I used to think depression was just a buzz-word, a cop-out, you know? I was like "get a grip, who aint depressed!" But its a horrendous condition, that ruins too many peoples experience of life. Robert Enke committed suicide scythe? Shit i heard he died but i didn't know that. There you go, a guy playing for his country at the highest level, living what we imagine to be the dream. If it got him, it can get anyone. It got me.

Comment

Originally posted by ErictheGed View Post
        Tax days are a bastard! Totally man. I think we have a problem as men, saying "oh, its depression, i can handle this, or else i am weak". I used to think depression was just a buzz-word, a cop-out, you know? I was like "get a grip, who aint depressed!" But its a horrendous condition, that ruins too many peoples experience of life. Robert Enke committed suicide scythe? Shit i heard he died but i didn't know that. There you go, a guy playing for his country at the highest level, living what we imagine to be the dream. If it got him, it can get anyone. It got me.
        Yeah, I was shocked to hear that. He would have been Germany's no. 1 for the 2010 WC...
        It really makes life unbearable, and it never goes away...it's like the grim reaper stalking you, ready to bring his blade down any second..
        Check out my progress log: https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...-remake-4.html

Comment

Originally posted by scythe View Post
          Hey guys.
          Do you think Depression, or Depressive Disorder, which has now been officially recognized as a Mental Disorder in the DSM-IV, is even worse than cancer?

Many of us have experienced it, and have overcome it...but what about the ones who haven't?
          A soccer player in Germany(Goalkeeper) jumped in front of a train and got smothered, because he was depressed.

Depression can strike anyone and at anytime. It is gut wrenching, especially if you are a sensitive person.
          Why I consider depression to be such a massive Pain in the Ass is:

1) Because it is very recurrent. It keeps coming and going and is equivalent to that of a slow, painful death.
          2) When you are generally depressed, NOTHING seems to go right. Absolutely nothing. You interpret everything thats happening to you, in the light of depression.
          3) There is no escape...you feel trapped and helpless..
          4) It can maim you, and riddle you of your confidence and mental stability.

So, what do you think? Any depressive episodes that you guys have experienced, please share them here.
          Good day.
          Are you suffering from depression scythe? I have a friend who recently just told us that he was depressed. I really didn't see it coming :S He is managing now though, shrink and what not. Hope you are fine as well

-UYN-
          19/04/2011
          FG: 4.25" +0.45
          FL: 5.19" +0.69
          EG: 4.75" +0.45
          BPFSL: 7.69" +1.58
          NBPEL: 7.25" +1.19
          BPEL: 7.677"+1.757

Comment

Originally posted by upyours_norway View Post
            Are you suffering from depression scythe? I have a friend who recently just told us that he was depressed. I really didn't see it coming :S He is managing now though, shrink and what not. Hope you are fine as well

-UYN-
            The bouts come and go, mate.
            One moment, I'm on top of the world, happy as fuck, flying high in the sky....so pleased with my gains, and the fact that I know what I'm going to do in college and in life generally..

And the next moment, I feel really low...upset that I haven't ever had a decent girl, or even held a girl's hand or hugged her...or haven't had my first kiss yet or anything like that...and the fact that my parents have held me back all my life because they are too overprotective.
            Sometimes I feel really pathetic.

But fortunately, my best mate helps me through most of these bouts and 'mood swings'

Comment

Aye brother, I know the feeling. Yesterday I felt fan-fucking-tastic all day. Even though the Penguins lost, lol. Whole day, driving around, singing pretty loud, what a happy day. Then, after I drop my buddy off at his house, BAM! Depression kicks in for no reason. I'm starting to wish there were a place like in 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'. Gotta get this girl outta my head, but she just won't fuck off. It's getting quite irritating. But that's life. Deal with the good and the bad. Just try and remember that there is always someone having a shittier day than you. Life's good, enjoy it.
              Starting Size (09/2009): ~7"BPEL x ~5" MSEG
              Most Recent Measurement (08/13/2012): 8"BPEL x 5.5"MSEG
              Final Goal: When I'm told to stop.
              http://www.towelaroundtheworld.com/#/us

Comment

I suffer from manic depression, for which I am medicated and receiving weekly one-on-one therapy. This sounds like what you are going through scythe. You have manic highs where you are, like you said, on top of the world. But then, out of absolutely nowhere, you crash and burn into the gutter. The key is trying to get through the bad days with as little pain as humanly possible. When I feel my mood turning sour, I do whatever I can do to completely immerse myself in something that makes me happy. Whatever that is. For years I decided that that was just the way my mind was programmed. I never wanted to give psychology a chance. But my last crash was a bad one and I made some epically stupid decisions while experiencing it. Enough was enough and I decided that it was something that I could no longer handle on my own. May I suggest you at least consider talking to a professional about it. Now that I am medicated and receiving the therapy, my horrid days are much fewer and much MUCH far between. Additionally, I now feel like I actually DO have control

Comment

Gator...I don't know what to say, mate. Wow...we certainly have a lot in common.
                  My parents had suggested that I seek professional help, but I never considered it seriously.
                  What kind of medication are you taking?
                  And also, do you think its Bipolar Disorder? It sounds like that..from mania to crash and burn.

Comment

Could be bi-polar disorder scythe. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with it. One minute up high as a kite, the next down in the depths of despair. I don't know a great deal about it i'm afraid, but i read its being diagnosed more and more, maybe the stresses of modern life.

Your parents just want to make sure you have a good shot at getting set up in life man. Its good to hear you've got direction, with college etc. Is it medicine your going to study? A nice girl will come along soon enough mate, you're obviously a good guy, so don't worry about that. She'll probably be a beauty as well- India always does well in Miss World, lot of stunners over there!

Comment

Gator...I don't know what to say, mate. Wow...we certainly have a lot in common.
                      My parents had suggested that I seek professional help, but I never considered it seriously.
                      What kind of medication are you taking?
                      And also, do you think its Bipolar Disorder? It sounds like that..from mania to crash and burn.
                      It's difficult for me to diagnose you because I don't know you. But I have done some reading on the subject ever since I decided to actually care about it. It's my understanding that bipolar disorder is often misdiagnosed as such. Bipolar people generally get MAD, not sad. I think that's important to consider. But, self-diagnosis is not the way to go. Really think about talking to a professional, seriously. It's not as bad as you might be thinking. Trust me, I'm probably one of the most stubborn young adults in the state of Florida, and even I easily opened up to my psychologist. I take SSRI medications. I should add that I also suffer from Severe Anxiety Disorder, but that is often synonymous with depressive conditions. If you ever want to talk about this on a more personal level, my PM box is open.

Comment

Originally posted by ErictheGed View Post
                        Could be bi-polar disorder scythe. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with it. One minute up high as a kite, the next down in the depths of despair. I don't know a great deal about it i'm afraid, but i read its being diagnosed more and more, maybe the stresses of modern life.

Your parents just want to make sure you have a good shot at getting set up in life man. Its good to hear you've got direction, with college etc. Is it medicine your going to study? A nice girl will come along soon enough mate, you're obviously a good guy, so don't worry about that. She'll probably be a beauty as well- India always does well in Miss World, lot of stunners over there!
                        Well the swings aren't that insane, they come and go, and hang around for sometime. It's not that extreme or completely unbearable..however, I do wish I wouldn't have to wake up one morning feeling happy and content, then the next morning sad and down. It's just an itch that I cannot seem to get rid of.

My parents...well, lets save that for another day. They can't leave me alone for even a second. They have destroyed my self-confidence with their over-protectiveness and obsessions. They never let me go anywhere...IM NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE ONE STEP OUT OF THE HOUSE, EXCEPT IF I HAVE TO GO TO CLASS OR GYM!!!!

Anyway, lets not get into that for now...it'll just piss me off at them even more than I already am.

Comment

Scythe, try and talk to your parents about it, in a civil and mature way. You never know, maybe they'll start giving you some space. But just remember, they are your parents and they do love you. I think some of you take your relationship with your parents for granted

Comment

Originally posted by Gator View Post
                            Scythe, try and talk to your parents about it, in a civil and mature way. You never know, maybe they'll start giving you some space. But just remember, they are your parents and they do love you. I think some of you take your relationship with your parents for granted
                            Haha, you think I haven't tried, like a gazillion times? It's always been ''no!'' or ''absolutely not'' and "We are just trying to protect you"

Comment

IM NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE ONE STEP OUT OF THE HOUSE, EXCEPT IF I HAVE TO GO TO CLASS OR GYM!!!!
                              Ahh, familiar up bringing in some sense. I won't ask for any of your details, I too am ethnically Indian (but now hold a US passport) so I can relate to that on a very personal level. I say, live your life the way you can the moment you get to college. The whole girl thing, yeah I was in that boat for the longest time. My first (real) girlfriend was in College 3rd year, I had never kissed before that too. :P. Though I learnt a LOT in that relationship and in some sense was caught up to speed with my peers who consistently had gf's.

Comment

Working...
                              X