L-arginine is one of the more common elements you’ll see in male enhancement supplements. Let’s take a look at what it really is and how it works.
What is L-arginine?
L-arginine is a chemical building block called “an amino acid.” It is obtained from the diet and is necessary for the body to make proteins.
Where does L-arginine Come from?
L-arginine is found in red meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products. It can also be manufactured in a laboratory.
What is L-arginine Used for?
L-arginine is used for a variety of conditions. This includes:
- heart and blood vessel conditions including congestive heart failure (CHF), chest pain, high blood pressure, and coronary artery disease,
- recurrent pain in the legs due to blocked arteries (intermittent claudication),
- decreased mental capacity in the elderly (senile dementia),
- improving athletic performance,
- boosting the immune system,
- erectile dysfunction (ED), and
- male infertility.
How does L-arginine Work?
L-arginine is converted in the body into a chemical called nitric oxide. Nitric oxide causes blood vessels to open wider for improved blood flow. L-arginine also stimulates the release of growth hormone, insulin, and other substances in the body.