Premature ejaculation is more common than most think. In fact, every man has ejaculated earlier than expected at least once in his life. So if this has happened to you a few times, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. However, if you’re frequently finishing even before the main act begins or soon after penetration, that’s premature ejaculation. You’re not alone.
Read on to learn more about pre-E. What are the causes? What you can do to stop it and control when you orgasm.
Written by Kimberly Wylie
THE ESSENTIALS OF PREMATURE EJACULATION
What is Premature Ejaculation?
PE is the inability to control your orgasm with minimal sexual stimulation, either before intercourse begins or shortly thereafter. This isn’t just not lasting as long as you wanted to, but orgasming before or with very little stimulation. There’s a difference between having superior sexual stamina and true premature ejaculation. We explore more about exactly what premature ejaculation is, in the next section.
Sympathetic vs Parasympathetic
Your body has three divisions of autonomous nervous systems. These include:
- The sympathetic nervous system – This is the hormonal response to stress. Your sympathetic nervous system takes control in fight or flight type situations.
- The parasympathetic nervous system – This is the nervous system that controls autonomous bodily functions. This includes your heart beat, your food digestion, breathing and other functions your body does without you even thinking about it.
- The enteric nervous system – This is the nervous system responsible for coordinating your reflexes.
It’s the moving from the parasympathetic (automatic bodily functions) to sympathetic (stress) mode that often leads to the inability to control your ejaculation.
Causes of Premature Ejaculation
Premature ejaculation can be caused by psychological factors (such as anxiety), physiological factors (including abnormal hormone levels), or a combination of both. In fact, the psychological factors are usually at least part of the problem. It becomes a snowball effect.
- You ejaculate too quickly during one sexual encounter.
- The next time, you worry you’re going to ejaculate too quickly.
- This worry causes stress and anxiety.
- This stress and anxiety makes you unable to control your orgasm.
It’s a self-fulfilling prophecy. Keep reading, to learn more about these causes, to help you pinpoint where your issues may lie, so you can choose the best method to overcome your inability to control your orgasm.
How to Cure Premature Ejaculation
There are things you can do to cure your inability to control your orgasm, from pelvic floor strengthening to climax control products to behavioral therapy. We’ll explore these methods in depth, in the following sections of this article.
In addition to manual exercises designed to help you overcome premature ejaculation, sex toys are a great way to practice sex. Some of the top male sex toys are extremely lifelike. More realistic sensations mean being better prepared when you’re actually with a partner. Keep reading, to learn more about the the causes of premature ejaculation and how you can overcome this sexual challenge.
Keep Reading: What Causes Premature Ejaculation?