For men suffering from erectile dysfunction, the prescription choices used to be Viagra, Levitra or Cialis. Today, there is now a second-generation PDE5 inhibitor on the market —
Avanafil is also known by the trademarked names Stendra and Spedra and comes in three different prescription strengths.
Erectile dysfunction affects millions of men worldwide. In fact, it is estimated that more than 30 million men in America alone suffer from erectile dysfunction.
Scroll down to learn more about Avanafil. What is Avanafil? How does it work? Is Avanafil safe? What are the side effects of Avanafil? And much more!
Written by: Rob Michaels
- Avanafil is the newest erectile dysfunction drug on the market.
- Avanafil is a PDE5 inhibitor, like Cialis, Viagra, and Levitra.
- Avanafil takes effect in as little as 30 minutes, and lasts for up to 6 hours.
- As with all PDE5 inhibitors, there is the potential for side effects, including some that may be life threatening.
- Avanafil does not cure ED, but addresses the symptom of ED – the inability to get and/or maintain an erection.
Avanafil (known often by the tradenames Stendra and Spedra) was developed originally by Vivus, Inc. This small pharmaceutical company, located in Mountain View, CA, focuses on drugs for obesity, sleep dysfunctions and sexual health – including erectile dysfunction. Avanfil was approved by the FDA in April 2013 and is marketed under the tradename Stendra.
In July 2013, Vivus announced their partnership with Menarini Group. Menarini is marking Avanafil to 40 European countries, as well as Australia and New Zealand, under the tradename Spedra.
HOW AVANAFIL WORKS
Like Viagra, Levitra and Cialis, Avanafil (Stendra or Spedra) is a PDE5 inhibitor. With the PDE5 enzyme blocked, the body releases nitric oxide. This relaxes the smooth muscle of the penis’s corpus cavernosum and the penile arteries. Blood flow is then increased in the penis, allowing for an erection when sexual stimulation is present. This last part is very important —
Avanafil does NOT cause an erection.
You must have some sort of sexual stimulation, for an erection to occur.
HOW AVANAFIL IS DIFFERENT FROM VIAGRA, LEVITRA OR CIALIS
Although Avanafil (Stendra or Spedra), Viagra, Levitra, and Cialis are all PDE5 inhibitors, Avanafil works significantly faster than any of the other three prescriptions. Testing has shown that Avanafil’s more efficient blocking of PDE5 means:
- Results for most men in 30 minutes or less.
- And, a sexual window of opportunity for 6 hours..
- Avanafil is available in 3 dosage strengths, to customize a dosage that works best for you.
HOW TO USE AVANAFIL
Using Avanafil (Stendra or Spedra) is simple
- Visit Your Doctor – When considering an ED treatment, the first step is always to see your doctor, to see what may be causing your erectile dysfunction. There are a variety of factors that can cause ED; some can be indicators of more serious issues. See our article, Need an Erectile Dysfunction Cure? Never Suffer from Impotence Again, for more details on ED. Additionally, you may have other health concerns that could affect your treatment of erectile dysfunction.
- Review the Prescription Literature – Your doctor will likely go over the details of using Avanafil; however, it is your responsibility to read the literature and familiarize yourself with the details of Avanafil and its use. If you have any questions or concerns, talk to your doctor before taking Avanafil.*
- Take as Directed – Always follow your doctor’s instructions when taking Avanafil. It is typically taken at least 30 minutes before planned sexual intercourse. Avanadil can be taken either with or without food.
Avanafil Usage Notes
There are some important things to note when taking Avanafil.
- Do not drink too much alcohol, when taking Avanafil. This can result in a headache, dizziness, heart rate increase, and blood pressure increase.
- Avanafil should not be taken more than once per day.
- Avanafil should not be taken if you take prescriptions known as ‘nitrates.’
- If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, seek medical attention right away.
- Be sure to let your doctor know about all of your medical conditions, especially:
- Heart problems or irregular heart beat,
- Heart surgery within the last six months,
- Low blood pressure or uncontrolled high blood pressure,
- Deformed penile shape,
- Sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma, or leukemia,
- Retinitis pigmentosa,
- Severe vision loss,
- Bleeding issues,
- Stomach ulcers,
- Liver problems, or
- Kidney problems.
AVANAFIL SIDE EFFECTS
There are several potential side effects with Avanafil. Some are minor inconveniences, others can be life-threatening. Be sure to seek medical attention if you experience any side effects. The most common side effects include:
- Stuffy or runny nose,
- Sore throat, and
- Back pain.
Potentially Life Threatening Side Effects for Avanafil
The following side effects are more serious and require you to stop taking Avanafil and seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY. This is not a comprehensive list. If you experience any side effects that concern you, get medical help right away:
- Sudden loss of vision in one or both eyes,
- Sudden hearing decrease or hearing loss,
- Changes in heart rate,
- Bloody or cloudy urine,
- Difficult or labored breathing or shortness of breath,
- Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet,
- Nausea or vomiting,
- Tightness in the chest,
- Tingling in the hands or feet,
- Unusual tiredness or weakness,
- Tell your doctor if you take HIV protease inhibitors such as ritonavir (Norvir).
- Tell your doctor if you’re taking antibiotics, including: clarithromycin (Biaxin), telithromycin (Ketek), or erythromycin.
- Tell your doctor if you’re taking alpha-blockers, such as, but not limited to, Hytrin, Uroxatral, or Jalyn.
As with all PDE5 inhibitors, taking a larger dosage than prescribed (or more frequently than prescribed) may result in overdose. Possible overdosing symptoms may include: dizziness, nausea, and high blood pressure. The chance of overdosing may increase depending on other medications you may be taking.
If an overdose occurs, seek medical attention right away. Your doctor may pump your stomach, administer charcoal, and provide supportive care for other associated symptoms.
ALTERNATIVES TO AVANAFIL
Avanafil will not cure your erectile dysfunction. It will only address the symptom of ED — the inability to maintain an erection. For this reason, you may want to try alternative treatments before trying Avanafil.
- Healthier Lifestyle – Eating a nutritious diet, getting regular exercise and losing weight may cure your erectile dysfunction.
- Do Penile Tissue Penis Exercises – There are stretching exercises that will promote penile blood flow, which may help cure your ED. Read our What is Jelqing? article and our Penis Stretching pages, for complete info on these great ED exercises.
- Do Pelvic Floor Exercises – Pelvic floor exercises, like Kegels, are not only great for men suffering from ED, but will help your overall sexual health. However, DON’T overdo it! Overtraining your pelvic floor muscles can actually make erectile dysfunction worse. Read more in our article How to do Kegel Exercises for Men.
- Stress Reduction – Erectile dysfunction can be attributed (or compounded) by stress. Take time to relax. Regular exercise can also help in stress reduction.
- ED Lubricants – There are several vasodilator lubricants on the market that improve blood flow to the penis. Lubricants, like Enlargel, are topical, and therefore don’t have the life threatening side effects that can be associated with prescription medications.
- Mental Health Counseling – ED may have a mental component to its cause. For this reason, seeking help from a mental health professional may actually help you address the underlying issues causing your erectile dysfunction.
- Penis Pumps – One of the most effective treatments of erectile dysfunction that does not have the negative side effects found with PDE5 inhibitors like Avanafil, is penis pumps. Pumps, such as the Bathmate, are used to pump blood into the penis, causing an erection. Then, a cock ring is used to maintain the erection. This is so effective that Medicare covers penis pumps as a treatment for ED.
- Over-the-Counter Supplements – There are several over-the-counter penis pills available that increase penile blood flow, giving harder, stronger erections, which can be used by men suffering from impotence.
NATURAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION & OTHER PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS
Herbal remedies can be used to increase the blood flow to the penis. These over-the-counter options may be an excellent option for you, before committing to a prescription medication. We’ve received positive reviews from many PEGym members about VigRX Plus.
Avanafil is an effective treatment of the symptoms of erectile dysfunction. It takes effect in as little as 30 minutes, and has a sexual window of opportunity of up to six hours. There are numerous side effects patients need to be aware of, and never take a dose greater than recommended by your physician.