Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ginkgo biloba + L-arginine

ginkgo biloba + L-arginine

Would it be okay if i take both of these at the same time? Anyone currently taking these together? After reading online it says not to take them together. I am currently on my 3rd month of jp90s, but want to start taking supplements. Now if you can take them together how much
    dosage would one need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you check the 5Gs thread it says that it is okay to take all the 5Gs + l-arginine.
    --------------------------------
    Current: 16.4 cm , 12 cm.
    Short term goal: 18 cm, 13 cm.
    Long term goal: 20 cm, 15 cm.

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by rhollow1 View Post
        ginkgo biloba + L-arginine

Would it be okay if i take both of these at the same time? Anyone currently taking these together? After reading online it says not to take them together. I am currently on my 3rd month of jp90s, but want to start taking supplements. Now if you can take them together how much
        dosage would one need?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        I have been following the thread called "Q&A on supplements" and there is a member (newtope25) there that runs a supplement store answering questions and one of his comments was "On arginine- this amino acid has been disproved for its nitric oxide effect it is supposed to have since the late 90s. Arginine actually gets broken down by an enzyme we produce called arginase before it even gets to the blood stream. Massive dosages are required for any affect at all. A far more efficient way to boost nitric oxide levels and improve blood flow is through citrulline malate, it actually gets into the blood stream and then turns into arginine. This is what I use, and it is very effective."

So I am somewhat confused about the L-arginine usage.

10/26/12 : BPEL 5.81" | EG 4.50"
        08/11/19 : BPEL 7.15" | EG 5.25" started back in PE 6 months ago
        10/04/20: BPEL 7.25 | EG 5.25" Been pumping, clamping and wrapping for the past 4 months

Comment

I take both, they do different things. L-arg is a vasodiolator which allows for more blood flow, citrulline is a precursor to arginine and very effective! Ginkgo is completely different.. I sell all sorts of supplements wholesale, not a doc but we'll educated on supplements.

Comment

Thats interesting about citrulline malate, i've heard that more than once before that it was more effective than just straight arginine. I've had good success with arginine, bit more expansion, guess i'll have to give this a try sometime. But there seems to be a difference between ginkgo and arginine. Gingko seems to be more of a blood thinner like aspirin, but arginine doesn't seem to actually thin the blood. This was obvious anytime that i ever cut myself while shaving.
            TurtleProblems
            Last edited by TurtleProblems; 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Arginine increases nitric oxide in the blood which in turn dilates your blood vessels. To get good effects from arginine you have to take a good amount (5grams per dose) on an empty stomach. Do this 30 minutes or so before a workout and experience the benefits =)

Citrulline malate can be taken any time and will not be hampered by digestion and in turn is more effective since it changes to arginine.
              pterodactyl

Currently on the Phallosan Forte

Comment

Almost any '' L-'' amino acid should be taken on an empty stomach, if not it acts like an enzyme and break down the contents of the stomach.

Comment

Originally posted by raptor1958 View Post
                  I have been following the thread called "Q&A on supplements" and there is a member (newtope25) there that runs a supplement store answering questions and one of his comments was "On arginine- this amino acid has been disproved for its nitric oxide effect it is supposed to have since the late 90s. Arginine actually gets broken down by an enzyme we produce called arginase before it even gets to the blood stream. Massive dosages are required for any affect at all. A far more efficient way to boost nitric oxide levels and improve blood flow is through citrulline malate, it actually gets into the blood stream and then turns into arginine. This is what I use, and it is very effective."

So I am somewhat confused about the L-arginine usage.

I couldnt have said that better myself.... lol. Yes while some people swear arginine works for them however studies say differently. Here are some from a popular website that even sells arginine.

A substantial body of research dating back to the 1990's, demonstrates that oral feeding of arginine is ineffective for increasing nitric oxide production, as compared to intravenous infusion, which is largely impractical.

In one study performed by Adams (1) young healthy men were supplemented with arginine in powder form for 3 days (7 grams three times daily). Plasma arginine levels were variable among subjects resulting in inconsistent and non-significant vascular results, such that oral supplementation did not increase endothelium-dependent vasodilation.

In a 1996 study, healthy males received 20 g per day of oral L-arginine for 28 days (7). Oral supplementation did not have a significant effect on endothelial function in healthy persons, and results further indicated that orally ingested arginine dissipated to other pathways as indicated by a change in total amino acid profile but not in the L-arginine plasma concentration.

The application of oral L-arginine has been examined in regards to nitric oxide production in various clinical populations. Patients with severe heart failure received 20 g of L-arginine supplementation per day for 28 days in a study performed by Chin-Dusting and associates (8). This relatively high dosage over a four-week period was not successful in restoring function of endothelial nitric oxide synthesis in these patients. Neither were there changes in nitric oxide levels in older adults (65 yrs and older) after supplementation of 8.5 g of L- arginine over a four-week period (19).

Dietary supplementation of arginine has also been examined in conjunction with different modes of exercise. Robinson and associates (16) applied 10 g of arginine with 70 g of simple carbohydrates to examine the effects on glucose levels, forearm blood flow, and blood pressure following either a session of resistance training, after a cycling endurance session, or after a rest period. None of the outcome measures were significantly affected by the arginine and carbohydrate ingestion.

Sorry for the size those are straight copy and paste. And Those are even the older studies, newer ones on PubMed, ErgoLog, continue to disprove that arginine increases nitric oxide levels. The only way to do it is with intravenous infusions at high dosages. Thats pretty impractical when you can just take citrulline. Now Citrulline skips being cycled through the liver and broken down. It is cycled through kidneys, then into the bloodstream where it converts to arginine. It actually prevents nitric oxide synthase inhibitors, so while not producing more nitric oxide itself, it does allow your body to keep more of what it is making, instead of it being broken down. Thats the simple explanation. Hope that helps

And OP, yes you can absolutely take those supps together. I take way more then that and its only helped in my day to day life.

Comment

Newtope, is there a big difference between l-citrulline and citrulline malate? or is it just absorbtion speed?
                    :peace::hippie::rockon::music:

Comment

Originally posted by wishn4more View Post
                      I take both, they do different things. L-arg is a vasodiolator which allows for more blood flow, citrulline is a precursor to arginine and very effective! Ginkgo is completely different.. I sell all sorts of supplements wholesale, not a doc but we'll educated on supplements.
                      Its not uncommon for people at large retailers, wholesale, etc. to know how ineffective some of the supplements they are pushing are. Thats why i own and run my own places. I do the research, and I buy what Is proven to work. I did however used to work for a large site and they would lose business if they were out telling everyone, "Hey guys arginine, glutamine and many others have been disproven for years for what ya'll are using it for." Plus as you probably know, bro-science seems to trump real science in the supplement industry. So sick of kids coming to my place all like "Yo man my buddy, hes really big and like loves to lift iron everyday so he must know what hes talking about, well he told me it would be sixzors if I pumped my body full of this, this and this (all terrible supplements) and then Ill be lookin like da Arnold in 3 months or less." Needless to say guys, when in doubt look at actual research, done in a lab, and preferably not on mickey and Minny mouse. Humans are where your accurate studies will be at.

Comment

Citrulline malate is a "more absorbable form". I have however used both and have no issues with either. What I can say is malate seems to come in powder more often and is sometimes less expensive because of this, at least with what I sell.

Comment

I've read alot of them are not bonded, does this matter?
                          :peace::hippie::rockon::music:

Comment

Bonded? Do you mean in a peptide bond as in complete protein in some cases? If so then yes most amino acids will come free form, this makes it so you are getting only that amino. It is better this way (sometimes) because you absorb only that product and you know exactly how much you are getting.

Comment

Wow thank you guys for all the help. There is a lot of great information here and i appreciate it. Thank you once again.

Comment

Working...
                              X