cysteine, hydrogen sulphide and western diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cysteine, hydrogen sulphide and western diet

Recently I supplemented with NAC which had an interesting effect on me, started reading up on it and a number interesting articles cropped up, please read

Role of Hydrogen Sulfide Depletion in Western Diet-Induced Erectile Dysfunction - Justin Lafavor

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3541055/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4616856/

This is both highly cuting edge and very technical .

Most of us do not know what Nac is.

Comment

I'm no expert but i like to read and articles seem interesting to me. NAC is an amino acid

Comment

So you supplemented with NAC for some other reason, such as flu, and noticed difference in erections which lead you to research its effects on EQ? Or did you purposefully use it for erections?

Can you elaborate on duration, dosage and the effects you noticed from using it?

NAC seems to have vasodilator and antioxidant properties so sure it has potential to improve EQ as well but how significantly is another question.

Comment

I used it to clear out my liver, but I noticed it helped me with getting hard, I can't remember the dosage as I have thrown away the bottle now, but I just followed the recommended dosage on the bottle. For me it just made it easier to get one. I wanted to understand why in my case it has this effect and I came across this research. My main reason for posting is to highlight the research and get us discussing it rather than to say I found NAC helped me. I think understanding the research is more important so that we can try and understand how erectile dysfunction comes about and if we can do that then maybe we can prevent it happening in the first place.

Comment

I also think it's very interesting concept, I hadn't even heard of other vasodilators than NO discussed in the context of ED before. Pity there isn't more research available.

I think anecdotal evidence can be helpful as well. You got something out of it without crazy dosage (or duration) so it seems promising. NAC is also well tolerated supplement with long history of use so normal dosages should be safe.

Comment

Yes Venti, the big thing is there is possibly another pathway to producing an erection in addition to NO. I have been reading up on Garlic too and why it is possibly effective. This raises all kinds of interesting questions but as you say the research is limited.

Comment

From the links above:
                The dose range in which NAC has shown clinical benefits—and hence presumably achieves a meaningful increase in tissue cysteine levels—is 1200–1800 mg daily, in divided doses. Taurine has been used in daily doses as high as 6 g without any evident adverse effects; 1.6 g daily was sufficient to elevate H2S in the trial in patients with prehypertension.
                Taurine had only one study backing it's effect on plasma H2S levels, NAC has stronger credentials. NAC in powder form tastes bad from reviews but taking it in capsule form is rather expensive with the dosage of 1200-1800mg daily. Ideally you'd also take it between meals for best absorbtion so the taste is hard to cover. I have used taurine as powder before, very neutral in taste and cheap. I didn't notice any effects from it though.
                supplementation with taurine and NAC might reasonably be used in conjunction with nutraceutical measures known to support coupled eNOS activity—such as citrulline, high-dose folate and spirulina—to achieve an ample measure of CV protection.
                So using H2S in conjuction with NO boosting strategies should lead to best results.

Comment

This is all a bit ahead of the science but so is a lot of what we do here .

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X