Flexibility and balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexibility and balance

Flexibility and balance are fitness factors we don't discuss much .

The east euro broke down flexibility into different types . The 2 that interested me the most were the standard static flexibility that we classicly think about and dynamic flexibility. I have come to believe that balance is also more specific than most believe and responsive to multi training modalities.

I was always taught that flexibility is the key physical attribute, because without it you are limited massively.

strong shoulders? Great but are they flexible enough to lift over your head

strong legs? Can you bend sufficiently to put on your socks

and so it goes.

When i I used to do martial arts we used to be graded on speed, balance and power, but without flexibility kicks above waist height were impossible.

im sure not everything equates but I think a lot of it still does
    8/7/14 - BPEL 6.75, MSEG 5.5" BPFSL 7.25", BEG 5.75"

6/7/15 - BPEL 7.5" MSEG 5,5/8" BpFSL 8", BEG 6"
    27.3.17 bpel 7.25 MSEG 5.5 BPSFL 8 beg 5.75

(Yeah!). (waiting). Not yet
    BPEL 7.25, EG 5.75" BEG 6"

Long term
    BPEL 8", EG 6"

Comment

I have noticed some interesting things with balance like it changes things to have shoes on or not.

Comment

If you are interested in flexibility you might want to check out what Street Workout is. It gave me crazy balance, flexibility and strength
        START:
        NBPEL: 16cm (6.29 inch)
        EG: 13cm (5.11 inch)

CURRENT:
        NBPEL: 18.3cm (7.20 inch)
        EG: 13.5cm (5.31 inch)

GOAL:
        NBPEL: 19.5cm (7.67 inch)
        EG: 15cm (5.9 inch)

Comment

Originally posted by Eazygeezer View Post
          I was always taught that flexibility is the key physical attribute, because without it you are limited massively.

strong shoulders? Great but are they flexible enough to lift over your head

strong legs? Can you bend sufficiently to put on your socks

and so it goes.

When i I used to do martial arts we used to be graded on speed, balance and power, but without flexibility kicks above waist height were impossible.

im sure not everything equates but I think a lot of it still does
          Well my shoulders are not flexible but I can lift overhead and I can put on socks . Don't think I can kick very high ahh well .

Comment

Originally posted by Dzordzi View Post
            If you are interested in flexibility you might want to check out what Street Workout is. It gave me crazy balance, flexibility and strength
            There seems to be a real movement influenced by gymnastics out there .

Comment

Weights, cardio, diet and some stretching. Scientifically proven stuff to be healthy.
              BPEL: 5.4, 5.6, 5.8, 6.0, 6.2, 6.4, 6.6, 6.8, 7.0, 7.2, 7.25
              MEG: 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5

Comment

Yes the aussie government puts out recommendations on exercise for health . Interestingly it includes a recommendation for balance training for mature (over 50y) people and of course cardio and strength training.

Comment

I have been balance training for 5 years. I started because I had knee pain and a gait issue and I was young. I never stopped since. My body is slim and I eat anything I want.
                  "I will lick my dick"

Comment

Originally posted by watersnake View Post
                    I have been balance training for 5 years. I started because I had knee pain and a gait issue and I was young. I never stopped since. My body is slim and I eat anything I want.
                    Tell me about the style of training you do.

Comment

Flexibility is passive.Mobility is active, with strength.Example, pike position in hanging leg lifts, or L-straddle.Flexibility and mobility are both imporant, but I believe mobility is more important.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                        Tell me about the style of training you do.
                        Although I started at home and do most of my training at home, there is a lot you can do at the gym. One leg on a bosu ball, different sides, and different spots on the round side. Two feet on the edge of the bosu. Kneel on a stability ball. One knee on a stability ball. Bird dog on a stability ball. Sitting no hands no feet on stability ball. Set up a circuit of bosu balls and inflated stability discs and walk across it. Advanced at the gym, I stand on a hard medicine ball, different balls and different sized ball for each foot. One foot on small ball. Balance board if its available at the gym. Toe to heel axis and side to side axis. One leg on balance board. That's the kind of stuff I do at the gym if I want to do balance.
                        "I will lick my dick"

Comment

Originally posted by watersnake View Post
                          Although I started at home and do most of my training at home, there is a lot you can do at the gym. One leg on a bosu ball, different sides, and different spots on the round side. Two feet on the edge of the bosu. Kneel on a stability ball. One knee on a stability ball. Bird dog on a stability ball. Sitting no hands no feet on stability ball. Set up a circuit of bosu balls and inflated stability discs and walk across it. Advanced at the gym, I stand on a hard medicine ball, different balls and different sized ball for each foot. One foot on small ball. Balance board if its available at the gym. Toe to heel axis and side to side axis. One leg on balance board. That's the kind of stuff I do at the gym if I want to do balance.
                          I have done some similar things . I particularly like overhead squats on the flat side of an upturned bosu ball.
                          Active flexibility crosses into mobility ,
                          For instance an overhead kick .

Comment

I like to think of it as dynamic balance and static balance. Static balance would be standing on a wobble board, while dynamic balance would be riding a skateboard.
                            "I will lick my dick"

Comment

A lot of things cross into each other best not to get too hung on semantics .
                              I sometimes think grappling sports are interesting as the opponent is actively trying to break your balance .
                              Funny enough you can be good in this kind of situation and mediocre at say a yoga pose .

Comment

Working...
                              X