Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burning off that last 1-3% of body fat..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning off that last 1-3% of body fat..

So my bodyfat used to 7%... I was an intercollegiate athlete... BIG into nutrition, exercise, fitness, etc...

...and now.. Graduate school has taken a toll on me. My bodyfat is creeping back up... I'm 6'1" 205 at the moment, managing to work out 4-5 times per week.. for 60-90 minute sessions that run primarily around resistance training... cardio.. not so much. LOL

what do you do to MOTIVATE yourself to do cardio/HIIT cardio/ETC...

b/c I have NONE. Not music.. not women... nothing.

ugh
    A Bigger Beginning w/ Dante311 - Log
    NEW LOG!

May '15 - 6.9" BP
    GOAL - 7.5 BP

paying out of my arse for the gym membership.
    Starting: NBPEL 4.5" (Feb 10)
    Current: NBPEL 5.3" (May 10)
    Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks

Comment

Originally posted by New Perspective View Post
      paying out of my arse for the gym membership.

You'd never believe I'm a physiologist and a certified personal trainer
      NEW LOG!

May '15 - 6.9" BP
      GOAL - 7.5 BP

Comment

Originally posted by Dante311 View Post
        I do believe that! people like yourself are usually great at helping eveyone but yourself. kinda like the doctor who refuses to see a doctor.

I'm sure you'll find a way to motivate yourself.. think about it, you're almost there!
        Gel King
        Last edited by Gel King; 03-30-2010, 09:55 PM.
        Starting: NBPEL 4.5" (Feb 10)
        Current: NBPEL 5.3" (May 10)
        Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks

Comment

Get some motivation. You're posting here saying you need motivation, but, that takes motivation. You want something, go out and get it. Get some bumpin' music. Look up some inspiring quotes. Realize everyday is the only day you get, before the next one gets closer to your last. Watch this, haha. And this. Focus on your goals and how good you'll feel when you achieve them, and take every step you can closer. Good luck!
          Started on 03/04/2010
          BPEL:6.69" EG:5.06"
          Current as of 06/17/2010
          BPEL:7.18" EG:5.25

Comment

Yeah well, when it comes to motivation, this is the question you gotta ask yourself: Do you wanna be effing RIPPED?

If the answer is yes, then cardio/HIIT should be something you cant wait to do. You gotta crave that treadmill, know what I'm saying?

Btw what is your HIIT look like? I usually jog for 2-3 minutes, then sprint my ass off for 1 minute, then walk + jog for another 1-2 mins, then sprint for another minute, then walk + jog for another 1-2 mins....

Is that good? What would you recommend? thanks.
            Starting stats: October 15th, 2008 - NBPEL: 6.25' EG: 5.00'

Current stats October 15th, 2009 - (100% erection) NBPEL: 7.20' EG: 5.375'

Goal: NBPEL: 8' EG: 6' (objective: girth)

TGC Theory

A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. -Sigmund Freud

Comment

lots of lean protein, lots of vegetables, lots of fruit, light on the starches.

For I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee of thine wounds, saith the Lord Jeremiah 30:17

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
                Yeah well, when it comes to motivation, this is the question you gotta ask yourself: Do you wanna be effing RIPPED?

If the answer is yes, then cardio/HIIT should be something you cant wait to do. You gotta crave that treadmill, know what I'm saying?

Btw what is your HIIT look like? I usually jog for 2-3 minutes, then sprint my ass off for 1 minute, then walk + jog for another 1-2 mins, then sprint for another minute, then walk + jog for another 1-2 mins....

That is a good way to start. That is what I do, except I go by distance rather than time. After you get more conditioned you should be able to skip the walking part and go jog, spring, jog, sprint. What you are doing now is perfectly fine though
                Stats (beginning 11/1/10)
                EL- 6
                EG- 4 3/4
                BPEL- 6 1/2
                Bench Press- 190x5

Current (11/1/10)
                EL- 6
                EG- 4 3/4
                BPEL- 6 1/2
                Bench Press- 190x5

Goal
                EL- 7.25
                EG- 5.5
                Bench Press- 225x10

*If anyone has any training/nutrition questions, ask away*

Comment

So my bodyfat used to 7%... I was an intercollegiate athlete... BIG into nutrition, exercise, fitness, etc...

...and now.. Graduate school has taken a toll on me. My bodyfat is creeping back up... I'm 6'1" 205 at the moment, managing to work out 4-5 times per week.. for 60-90 minute sessions that run primarily around resistance training... cardio.. not so much. LOL

what do you do to MOTIVATE yourself to do cardio/HIIT cardio/ETC...

b/c I have NONE. Not music.. not women... nothing.

ugh
                  You want self motivation? Click here ---> (http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/USPlabs/Jack3d)

I am in no way, shape, or form trying to sell this product. But I can tell you that from someone who also hates running, once I hop on the treadmill I never want to hop off. Great product
                  Stats (beginning 11/1/10)
                  EL- 6
                  EG- 4 3/4
                  BPEL- 6 1/2
                  Bench Press- 190x5

Current (11/1/10)
                  EL- 6
                  EG- 4 3/4
                  BPEL- 6 1/2
                  Bench Press- 190x5

Goal
                  EL- 7.25
                  EG- 5.5
                  Bench Press- 225x10

*If anyone has any training/nutrition questions, ask away*

Comment

I need to take this advice too. I also was 7% body fat, and though I am not far from it, I am tired of relying only on genetics, and I want to get back into it, MAJORLY. I think this thread is just what I needed brothers, thanks!!!

Radiohead, points for this post.

Banana, points for starting this thread.

Comment

I agree with you. You would think someone with your background and intelligence would know that diet is far more important than your workout.
                      05/10/09
                      ELBP 7.10
                      EG 5.5

12/12/09
                      ELBP 7.75
                      EG 5.75

Comment

Moving back to 3 rigid meals per day has started to work for me. The often touted 'eat lots of small meals throughout the day' just doesn't work for me in terms of insulin excretion - I was permanently hungry & snacking. Your diet may be perfect for all I know.

As an athlete you might need an element of competition in your exercise - so picking up past sports you enjoyed might be a good idea. I have found that squash/racketball & basketball make me forget I am even exercising, whilst I do way more than I could on my own.
                        Vulcan
                        7.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>8.125"BPEL (current)
                        5.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>5.75"EG (current)

Comment

Originally posted by TheGodJr View Post
                          That is a good way to start. That is what I do, except I go by distance rather than time. After you get more conditioned you should be able to skip the walking part and go jog, spring, jog, sprint. What you are doing now is perfectly fine though
                          What works great for me is to jog, sprint, jog, sprint, but in the pool. One hour of lap swimming three times a week, along with a 2000 calory a day regimen will do it for me. Now that I've done some self-talking, it's off to the pool TODAY. WHOOHOOOO!!

Comment

Try martial arts. It is very challenging for both the body and the mind. There is a lot of emphasis on cardio, core fitness, and flexibility (all really good things for adults). Plus you will have other martial arts students to train with and motivate you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho View Post
                              I agree with you. You would think someone with your background and intelligence would know that diet is far more important than your workout.
                              I want to respond.... I so do... but let me have my coffee first. It's 11:42PM and I just woke up. heh. (not a good thing, btw)

Your routine for HIIT cardio looks good... it doesn't matter HOW you perform it... as long as you're adapting your program that meet your needs and provide a stimulus to the sympathetic nervous system, allowing a/n (spike) elevation in HR... breathing rate, and induce carbohydrate metabolism (short duration, high intensity type exercises) vs. the long duration, low intensity type stuff... relative to carbs, you burn less fat at a higher intensity, but absolute fat burned is greater/more at a higher intensity than low intensity... sucks that it's 9kcals/g of energy and it takes forever / is inefficient to use it for energy at higher intensities well enough to burn 100% fat.

I usually go 1 min walking, 4 min jog, 30 second all out spring 95% of my max, 2 min walk, repeat. I do this for about 20-25 mins...

Originally posted by TheGodJr View Post
                              You want self motivation? Click here ---> (http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/USPlabs/Jack3d)

I am in no way, shape, or form trying to sell this product. But I can tell you that from someone who also hates running, once I hop on the treadmill I never want to hop off. Great product
                              Hmm... I dunno. It's just a pharmaceutical dose of caffeine, beta alanine (which I like), creatine monohydrate, and AAKG... (a vasodilator)...

good stuff thought. If it works for you... use it. I support dietary supplements and their usage.. even if only for the placebo effect they may give... not all supplements work all the time... and there are many companies I do not trust b/c of quality control. USP labs is a good company though.
                              NEW LOG!

May '15 - 6.9" BP
                              GOAL - 7.5 BP

Comment

Working...
                              X