Is Fasting Healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Fasting Healthy?

In this post, I'll be discussing whether or not fasting is healthy.

As you may or may not know there are many people that fast for different reasons such as:

• Religious reasons
    • Weight loss
    • Metabolic health

But...is this really good for you?

no-food.jpg

According to Journal Academy Nutrition and Dietetics, periodic fasting may be a good way to lose weight and promote metabolic health.

Fasting regimens include periodic one-day fasts, restricted fasts involving food restrictions during specific times during the day (religious fast).

Fasting is not physically or mentally harmful. However, fasting causes intense hunger, so it is probably not sustainable.

Fasting methods that restrict nighttime eating appear to have positive long-term effects on weight control. However, not much is known about the effects of fasting on sleep, hunger control or physical activity.

A review of literature led by Ruth Patterson from the Department of Family Medicine & Public Health at the University of California, San Diego concluded that fasting reduced blood sugar and insulin, which is linked to chronic type 2 diabetes and heart disease, and caused some weight loss.

So to sum it up it seems that if fasting is done properly it can, in fact, be good for you.
    Need a PE Coach?

"fasting reduced blood sugar and insulin, which is linked to chronic type 2 diabetes and heart disease"

i dont understand what this means. Is reduced blood sugar and insulin linked to diabetes? Or, Is it the other way around?
    Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
    12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
    12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
    01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
    01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
    01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
    Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Weight loss ? I'd love some of that !
      Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
      Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

There can be some definite spiritual and emotional benefits to fasting as well.
        Want a FREE Month of Coaching? PM or email me for details- or CLICK HERE

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

Originally posted by not2big View Post
          "fasting reduced blood sugar and insulin, which is linked to chronic type 2 diabetes and heart disease"

i dont understand what this means. Is reduced blood sugar and insulin linked to diabetes? Or, Is it the other way around?
          It's the other way around. Fasting reduces blood sugars & insulin, so it's a suggested therapy for those with diabetes.

Comment

Digesting food is a complex process for the body and costs a lot of energy - although healthy food gives energy back.
            Nertheless fasting gives the body time to rest.

But I've never tried it for longer because I'm always so hungry hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangler View Post
              Weight loss ? I'd love some of that !
              I've lost 9 kg(18.8 lb) in ramadan with focus t25 fitness program.But every body is different some people lose weight and some people gain weight during ramadan.

And for OP you can also search wet cupping for health.
              cashbacter
              Last edited by cashbacter; 11-22-2017, 08:25 PM.
              Reader discretion is advised.My signature is for motivational purposes only.

Some people say it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean.If you wanna make some motion which boat will you pick? - A sailboat or BATTLECRUISER -

Comment

My everyday routine includes fasting and I really love it. I skip breakfast and since I started doing this I feel less hungry and with more energy in the morning (its crazy, right?). I also, sometimes do a 24 hour fast and the felling is great! I'm very physically active and I usually can train harder when I am with an empty stomach.

So far, I have seen no disadvantage in fasting.
                Last edited by alslima; 11-23-2017, 07:11 AM.
                06/2016 - BPEL: 6.3 / MEG: 5.3
                09/2017 - BPEL: 7.1 / MEG: 5.5

GOAL - BPEL: 7.5 (19 cm) / MEG: 6.3 (16 cm)

Comment

There are many fitness enthusiasts who swear by IF(Intermittent Fasting) specifically for lowering body fat percentage. If you haven't seen them "Hodge Twins" Youtube stars have done a bit on it as well. There's loads of evidence revealing IF is beneficial or can be beneficial. Think where we came from 3000 years ago. Meals were DEFINITELY not every 2-3 hours accessible. Do you really think in a few thousand years evolution has advanced so much to account for the bullshit we've done in the last 100 years? LOL. Put yourself in a state that would have been likely a few thousand years ago and see what happens. I bet you get ripped like you haven't before. Our bodies have no where near adjusted to all the 'food' on the market now. Try a Paleo diet with regular exercise.

P.S. BTW, IMO... doing anything for religious reasons = genocide.
                  Nov 2016 Start
                  6.5 BPEL 5.5 MEG

Jan 18, 2018
                  7.625 BPEL 5.875 MEG

Total PE:
                  14 months
                  +1.125" length +.325" girth

Comment

Great topic for after Thanksgiving. Since I ate enough for 2 days yesterday I think I'll fast!
                    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

May need to get my vision checked... when I first saw the title of the thread I thought it read "Is fisting healthy" and I was very intrigued to see what was going on in here! Hahahaha
                      Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
                      Recommended Routine
                      2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
                      BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBator View Post

P.S. BTW, IMO... doing anything for religious reasons = genocide.
                        C'mon bro was that really necessary? However, I respect your opinions, but "Ouch!"
                        Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
                        Recommended Routine
                        2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
                        BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

I believe it's healthy, it frees up your stomach and saves you somehow money. Though not about the money thing, best benefits of fasting is making you think or look at situations better
                          Start 2010-02-14: 6" BPEL x 4.5" EG
                          2017-05-27: 21cm (8 1/4") BPEL x 5" EG, flaccid at 5" (same)
                          2018-05-05: 23cm (9") BPEL (can reach 9 1/4" depending on how I measure it) x 5" EG, flaccid at 5" (same)

Comment

Alot of the IG fitness giants seem to be big on intermittent fasting. Some claim they eat all their calories in a 4 hour time span and it allows them to eat basically anything they want and remain lean. Something I should look more into!
                            Starting:
                            BPEL: ~ 6.3 in
                            EG: ~ 4.4 in

04/25/18:
                            BPEL: 6.75 in
                            MEG: 4.7 in

Goal:
                            BPEL: 7.5 in
                            MEG: 5.5 in

Comment

Lots of things get trendy for awhile . Fasting has a long history but intermittent fasting can mean missing a meal.

Comment

Working...
                              X