fat pad and visceral fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fat pad and visceral fat

I am starting to suspect a link between visceral fat and the fat pad but I may be way off . Does anyone have any info to share.

With the help of Al I have come to the conclusion that work stress in particular may increase both visceral fat and fat pad .

Comment

Stress causes an increase in the cortisol level and cortisol loves to store fat.
      The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Yes and the storage is central both visceral and abdominal . So both visceral and fatpad are affected .

There seems a particular link to work/school stress.

Comment

Stress is also 6 times more likely to kill you compared to drinking and smoking. That's a fact. Sadly those under stress never want to admit they are, kind of like the hard flaccid guys.
          The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Fattiest parts of my body.
            Could it possibly be regularly working 50-60+ hours a week in a demanding job with crappy coworkers who halfarse everything and I get sent out to mop up their shit on the regular????? Breathe... breathe...
            No, really though. Even before some injuries and work demands pulled me away from working out regularly, I struggled to get the belly down- I got to 5% body fat at my best, and still had a fat pad and bit of a gut when not flexing. I have a very stressful job, which I'm sure contributes considerably.

Comment

To my knowledge, fat pad fat is just a royal pain. It's the last to come off and the first to come on.
              My Work

ARTICLES:

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                Yes and the storage is central both visceral and abdominal . So both visceral and fatpad are affected .

There seems a particular link to work/school stress.
                The link is chronic stress. Work, relationships or overtraining are all possible sources. Flattened cortisol pulsatility and not absolute levels cause increased fat gain.

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...131(18)30190-6

Comment

Originally posted by Venti View Post
                  The link is chronic stress. Work, relationships or overtraining are all possible sources. Flattened cortisol pulsatility and not absolute levels cause increased fat gain.

https://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...131(18)30190-6
                  The link supports pulsability as a factor in mice at least .

I believe there is a genetic link there is also talk on raised morning levels being associated .

While my research so far is limited it supports school /work stress as being particularly relevant for reasons unknown.

Hans the interest in this is twofold . Firstly visceral fat is particularly associated with bad health outcomes and second onsite there is an interest in removing belly particularly lower belly (fat pad) fat for visual reasons .

This is in effect spot reduction and there is support for it . The methods used for reduction of core fat are several but the number one thing to start with is reduction of cortosiol so that is stress and it seems particularly work stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                    The link supports pulsability as a factor in mice at least .

I believe there is a genetic link there is also talk on raised morning levels being associated .

While my research so far is limited it supports school /work stress as being particularly relevant for reasons unknown.

Hans the interest in this is twofold . Firstly visceral fat is particularly associated with bad health outcomes and second onsite there is an interest in removing belly particularly lower belly (fat pad) fat for visual reasons .

This is in effect spot reduction and there is support for it . The methods used for reduction of core fat are several but the number one thing to start with is reduction of cortosiol so that is stress and it seems particularly work stress.
                    Thanks for the PM.
                    I agree about the twofold interest. What's funny is that I myself am trying to trim down (say 8-12% bodyfat) and see if I can actually eliminate my fat pad-a feat I have never done before.
                    I will take a look at the links.
                    My Work

ARTICLES:

Comment

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

It has been suggested that exercise has preferential effects on visceral fat reduction. However, the dose-response effect remains unclear because of limited evidence from individual studies. The purpose of this study was to systematically review the current literature to establish whether reduction of visceral fat by aerobic exercise has a dose-response relationship.
                      METHODS:

A database search was performed (PubMed, 1966-2006) with appropriate keywords to identify studies exploring the effects of aerobic exercise as a weight loss intervention on visceral fat reduction. Visceral fat reduction was expressed as the percentage of visceral fat change per week (%DeltaVF/w). The energy expenditure by aerobic exercise was expressed as Sigma (metabolic equivalents x h per week (METs x h/w)).
                      RESULTS:

Nine randomized control trials and seven non-randomized control trials were selected. In most of the studies, the subjects performed aerobic exercise generating 10 METs x h/w or more. Among all the selected groups (582 subjects), visceral fat decreased significantly (P<0.05) in 17 groups during the intervention, but not in the other 4 groups. There was no significant relationship between METs x h/w from aerobic exercise and %DeltaVF/w in all the selected groups. However, when subjects with metabolic-related disorders were not included (425 subjects), METs x h/w from aerobic exercise had a significant relationship with %DeltaVF/w (r=-0.75). Moreover, visceral fat reduction was significantly related to weight reduction during aerobic exercise intervention, although a significant visceral fat reduction may occur without significant weight loss.
                      CONCLUSION:

These results suggest that at least 10 METs x h/w in aerobic exercise, such as brisk walking, light jogging or stationary ergometer usage, is required for visceral fat reduction, and that there is a dose-response relationship between aerobic exercise and visceral fat reduction in obese subjects without metabolic-related disorders.

Comment

Ok so the take away from the above is that aerobic exercise is effective for visceral fat loss. Since visceral and other core fat seem to be effectively affected in the same way for our purposes I will regard them as the same.

So aerobic exercise is good for overall fat loss but particularly core .

Comment

So stress reduction and particularly work related stress reduction seem to be central . I would put sleep up there also .

Comment

ere are 20 effective tips to lose belly fat, backed by scientific studies.

1. Eat Plenty of Soluble Fiber

Soluble fiber absorbs water and forms a gel that helps slow down food as it passes through your digestive system.
                            Studies show that this type of fiber promotes weight loss by helping you feel full, so you naturally eat less. It may also decrease the number of calories your body absorbs from food (3Trusted Source, 4Trusted Source, 5Trusted Source).
                            What's more, soluble fiber may help fight belly fat.
                            An observational study in over 1,100 adults found that for every 10-gram increase in soluble fiber intake, belly fat gain decreased by 3.7% over a 5-year period (6Trusted Source).
                            Make an effort to consume high-fiber foods every day. Excellent sources of soluble fiber include flaxseed, shirataki noodles, Brussels sprouts, avocados, legumes and blackberries.
                            SUMMARYSoluble fiber may help you lose weight by increasing fullness and reducing calorie absorption. Try to include plenty of high-fiber foods in your weight-loss diet.

2. Avoid Foods That Contain Trans Fats

Trans fats are created by pumping hydrogen into unsaturated fats, such as soybean oil.
                            They're found in some margarines and spreads and also often added to packaged foods.
                            These fats have been linked to inflammation, heart disease, insulin resistance and abdominal fat gain in observational and animal studies (7Trusted Source, 8Trusted Source, 9Trusted Source).
                            A 6-year study found that monkeys who ate a high-trans-fat diet gained 33% more abdominal fat than those eating a diet high in monounsaturated fat (10Trusted Source).
                            To help reduce belly fat and protect your health, read ingredient labels carefully and stay away from products that contain trans fats. These are often listed as partially hydrogenated fats.
                            SUMMARYSome studies have linked a high intake of trans fat with increased belly fat gain. Whether or not you are trying to lose weight, limiting your intake of trans fat is a good idea.

3. Don't Drink Too Much Alcohol

Alcohol can have health benefits in small amounts but is seriously harmful if you drink too much.
                            Research suggests that too much alcohol can also make you gain belly fat.
                            Observational studies link heavy alcohol consumption to a significantly increased risk of central obesity — that is, excess fat storage around the waist (11Trusted Source, 12Trusted Source).
                            Cutting back on alcohol may help reduce your waist size. You don't need to give it up altogether but limiting the amount you drink in a single day can help.
                            In a study in more than 2,000 people, those who drank alcohol daily but averaged less than one drink per day had less belly fat than those who drank less frequently but consumed more alcohol on the days they drank (12Trusted Source).
                            SUMMARYExcessive alcohol intake has been associated with increased belly fat. If you need to reduce your waistline, consider drinking alcohol in moderation or abstaining completely.

4. Eat a High-Protein Diet

Protein is an extremely important nutrient for weight control.
                            High protein intake increases the release of the fullness hormone PYY, which decreases appetite and promotes fullness. Protein also raises your metabolic rate and helps you retain muscle mass during weight loss (13Trusted Source, 14Trusted Source, 15Trusted Source).
                            Many observational studies show that people who eat more protein tend to have less abdominal fat than those who eat a lower-protein diet (16Trusted Source, 17Trusted Source, 18Trusted Source).
                            Be sure to include a good protein source at every meal, such as meat, fish, eggs, dairy, whey protein or beans.
                            SUMMARYHigh protein foods, such as fish, lean meat and beans, are ideal if you’re trying to shed some extra pounds around your waist.

5. Reduce Your Stress Levels

Stress can make you gain belly fat by triggering the adrenal glands to produce cortisol, also known as the stress hormone.
                            Research shows that high cortisol levels increase appetite and drive abdominal fat storage (19Trusted Source, 20Trusted Source).
                            What's more, women who already have a large waist tend to produce more cortisol in response to stress. Increased cortisol further adds to fat gain around the middle (21Trusted Source).
                            To help reduce belly fat, engage in pleasurable activities that relieve stress. Practicing yoga or meditation can be effective methods.
                            SUMMARYStress may promote fat gain around your waist. Minimizing stress should be one of your priorities if you’re trying to lose weight.

6. Don't Eat a Lot of Sugary Foods

Sugar contains fructose, which has been linked to several chronic diseases when consumed in excess.
                            These include heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity and fatty liver disease (22Trusted Source, 23Trusted Source, 24Trusted Source).
                            Observational studies show a relationship between high sugar intake and increased abdominal fat (25Trusted Source, 26Trusted Source).
                            It's important to realize that more than just refined sugar can lead to belly fat gain. Even healthier sugars, such as real honey, should be used sparingly.
                            SUMMARYExcessive sugar intake is a major cause of weight gain in many people. Limit your intake of candy and processed foods high in added sugar.

7. Do Aerobic Exercise (Cardio)

Aerobic exercise (cardio) is an effective way to improve your health and burn calories.
                            Studies also show that it’s one of the most effective forms of exercise for reducing belly fat. However, results are mixed as to whether moderate-intensity or high-intensity exercise is more beneficial (27Trusted Source, 28Trusted Source, 29Trusted Source).
                            In any case, the frequency and duration of your exercise program are more important than its intensity.
                            One study found that postmenopausal women lost more fat from all areas when they did aerobic exercise for 300 minutes per week, compared to those who exercised 150 minutes per week (30Trusted Source).
                            SUMMARYAerobic exercise is an effective weight loss method. Studies suggest it’s particularly effective in slimming your waistline.

8. Cut Back on Carbs, Especially Refined Carbs

Reducing your carb intake can be very beneficial for losing fat, including abdominal fat.
                            Diets with under 50 grams of carbs per day cause belly fat loss in overweight people, those at risk of type 2 diabetes and women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) (31Trusted Source, 32Trusted Source, 33Trusted Source).
                            You don't have to follow a strict low-carb diet. Some research suggests that simply replacing refined carbs with unprocessed starchy carbs may improve metabolic health and reduce belly fat (34Trusted Source, 35Trusted Source).
                            In the famous Framingham Heart Study, people with the highest consumption of whole grains were 17% less likely to have excess abdominal fat than those who consumed diets high in refined grains (36Trusted Source).
                            SUMMARYA high intake of refined carbs is associated with excessive belly fat. Consider reducing your carb intake or replacing refined carbs in your diet with healthy carb sources, such as whole grains, legumes or vegetables.

9. Replace Some of Your Cooking Fats With Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is one of the healthiest fats you can eat.
                            Studies show that the medium-chain fats in coconut oil may boost metabolism and decrease the amount of fat you store in response to high calorie intake (37Trusted Source, 38Trusted Source).
                            Controlled studies suggest it may also lead to abdominal fat loss (39Trusted Source).
                            In one study, obese men who took coconut oil daily for 12 weeks lost an average of 1.1 inches (2.86 cm) from their waists without intentionally changing their diets or exercise routines (40Trusted Source).
                            To boost belly fat loss, it's best to take about 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of coconut oil per day, which is the amount used in most of the studies reporting good results.
                            Coconut oil is still high in calories. Instead of adding extra fat to your diet, replace some of the fats you’re already eating with coconut oil.
                            SUMMARYStudies suggest that using coconut oil instead of other cooking oils may help reduce abdominal fat.

10. Perform Resistance Training (Lift Weights)

Resistance training, also known as weight lifting or strength training, is important for preserving and gaining muscle mass.
                            Based on studies in people with prediabetes, type 2 diabetes and fatty liver disease, resistance training may also be beneficial for belly fat loss (41Trusted Source, 42Trusted Source).
                            In fact, one study in overweight teenagers showed that a combination of strength training and aerobic exercise led to the greatest decrease in visceral fat (43Trusted Source).
                            If you decide to start lifting weights, it’s a good idea to get advice from a certified personal trainer.
                            SUMMARYStrength training can be an important weight loss strategy and may help reduce belly fat. Studies suggest it’s even more effective in combination with aerobic exercise.

11. Avoid Sugar-Sweetened Beverages

Sugar-sweetened beverages are loaded with liquid fructose, which can make you gain belly fat.
                            Studies show that sugary drinks lead to increased fat in the liver. One 10-week study found significant abdominal fat gain in people who consumed beverages high in fructose (44Trusted Source, 45Trusted Source, 46Trusted Source).
                            Sugary beverages appear to be even worse than high-sugar foods.
                            Since your brain doesn't process liquid calories the same way it does solid ones, you're likely to end up consuming too many calories later on and storing them as fat (47Trusted Source, 48Trusted Source).
                            To lose belly fat, it's best to completely avoid sugar-sweetened beverages such as soda, punch and sweet tea, as well as alcoholic mixers containing sugar.
                            SUMMARYAvoiding all liquid forms of sugar, such as sugar-sweetened beverages, is very important if you’re trying to shed some extra pounds.

12. Get Plenty of Restful Sleep

Sleep is important for many aspects of your health, including weight. Studies show that people who don't get enough sleep tend to gain more weight, which may include belly fat (49Trusted Source, 50Trusted Source).
                            A 16-year study in more than 68,000 women found that those who slept less than five hours per night were significantly more likely to gain weight than those who slept seven hours or more per night (51Trusted Source).
                            The condition known as sleep apnea, where breathing stops intermittently during the night, has also been linked to excess visceral fat (52Trusted Source).
                            In addition to sleeping at least seven hours per night, make sure you're getting sufficient quality sleep.
                            If you suspect you may have sleep apnea or another sleep disorder, speak to a doctor and get treated.
                            SUMMARYSleep deprivation is linked to an increased risk of weight gain. Getting enough high-quality sleep should be one of your main priorities if you plan to lose weight and improve your health.

13. Track Your Food Intake and Exercise

Many things can help you lose weight and belly fat, but consuming fewer calories than your body needs for weight maintenance is key (53Trusted Source).
                            Keeping a food diary or using an online food tracker or app can help you monitor your calorie intake. This strategy has been shown to be beneficial for weight loss (54Trusted Source, 55Trusted Source).
                            In addition, food-tracking tools help you see your intake of protein, carbs, fiber and micronutrients. Many also allow you to record your exercise and physical activity.
                            You can find 5 free apps/website to track nutrient and calorie intake on this page.
                            SUMMARYAs a general weight-loss advice, it’s always a good idea to keep track of what you’re eating. Keeping a food diary or using an online food tracker are two of the most popular ways to do this.

14. Eat Fatty Fish Every Week

Fatty fish are incredibly healthy.
                            They’re rich in quality protein and omega-3 fats that protect you from disease (56Trusted Source, 57Trusted Source).
                            Some evidence suggests that these omega-3 fats may also help reduce visceral fat.
                            Studies in adults and children with fatty liver disease show that fish oil supplements can significantly reduce liver and abdominal fat (58Trusted Source, 59Trusted Source, 60Trusted Source).
                            Aim to get 2–3 servings of fatty fish per week. Good choices include salmon, herring, sardines, mackerel and anchovies.
                            SUMMARYEating fatty fish or taking omega-3 supplements may improve your overall health. Some evidence also suggests it may reduce belly fat in people with fatty liver disease.

15. Stop Drinking Fruit Juice

Although fruit juice provides vitamins and minerals, it's just as high in sugar as soda and other sweetened beverages.
                            Drinking large amounts may carry the same risk of abdominal fat gain (61Trusted Source).
                            An 8-ounce (240-ml) serving of unsweetened apple juice contains 24 grams of sugar, half of which is fructose (62).
                            To help reduce excess belly fat, replace fruit juice with water, unsweetened iced tea or sparkling water with a wedge of lemon or lime.
                            SUMMARYWhen it comes to fat gain, fruit juice can be just as bad as sugary soda. Consider avoiding all sources of liquid sugar to increase your chance of successfully losing weight.

16. Add Apple Cider Vinegar to Your Diet

Drinking apple cider vinegar has impressive health benefits, including lowering blood sugar levels (63Trusted Source).
                            It contains acetic acid, which has been shown to reduce abdominal fat storage in several animal studies (64Trusted Source, 65Trusted Source, 66Trusted Source).
                            In a 12-week controlled study in obese men, those who took 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of apple cider vinegar per day lost half an inch (1.4 cm) from their waists (67Trusted Source).
                            Taking 1–2 tablespoons (15–30 ml) of apple cider vinegar per day is safe for most people and may lead to modest fat loss.
                            However, be sure to dilute it with water, as undiluted vinegar can erode the enamel on your teeth.
                            If you want to try apple cider vinegar, there is a good selection available on Amazon.
                            SUMMARYApple cider vinegar may help you lose some weight. Animal studies suggest it may reduce belly fat.

17. Eat Probiotic Foods or Take a Probiotic Supplement

Probiotics are bacteria found in some foods and supplements. They have many health benefits, including improved gut health and enhanced immune function (68Trusted Source).
                            Researchers have found that different types of bacteria play a role in weight regulation and that having the right balance can help with weight loss, including loss of belly fat.
                            Those shown to reduce belly fat include members of the Lactobacillus family, such as Lactobacillus fermentum, Lactobacillus amylovorus and especially Lactobacillus gasseri (69Trusted Source, 70, 71Trusted Source, 72Trusted Source).
                            Probiotic supplements typically contain several types of bacteria, so make sure you purchase one that provides one or more of these bacterial strains.
                            SUMMARYTaking probiotic supplements may promote a healthy digestive system. Studies also suggest that beneficial gut bacteria may promote weight loss.

18. Try Intermittent Fasting

Intermittent fasting has recently become very popular for weight loss.
                            It’s an eating pattern that cycles between periods of eating and periods of fasting (73Trusted Source).
                            One popular method involves 24-hour fasts once or twice a week. Another consists of fasting every day for 16 hours and eating all your food within an 8 hour period.
                            In a review of studies on intermittent fasting and alternate-day fasting, people experienced a 4–7% decrease in abdominal fat within 6–24 weeks (74).
                            SUMMARYIntermittent fasting is an eating pattern that alternates between periods of eating and fasting. Studies suggest that it may be one of the most effective ways of losing weight and belly fat.

19. Drink Green Tea

Green tea is an exceptionally healthy beverage.
                            It contains caffeine and the antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), both of which appear to boost metabolism (75Trusted Source, 76Trusted Source).
                            EGCG is a catechin, which several studies suggest may be effective in losing belly fat. The effect may be strengthened when green tea consumption is combined with exercise (77Trusted Source, 78, 79).
                            SUMMARYRegularly drinking green tea has been linked to weight loss, though it’s probably not effective on its own and best combined with exercise.

20. Change Your Lifestyle and Combine Different Methods

Just doing one of the items on this list won't have a big effect on its own.
                            If you want good results, you need to combine different methods that have been shown to be effective.
                            Interestingly, many of these are things generally associated with healthy eating and an overall healthy lifestyle.
                            Therefore, changing your lifestyle for the long term is the key to losing your belly fat and keeping it off.
                            When you have healthy habits and eat real food, fat loss tends to follow as a natural side effect.
                            SUMMARYLosing weight and keeping it off is impossible unless you permanently change your dietary habits and lifestyle.

The Bottom Line

There are no magic solutions to losing belly fat.
                            Weight loss always requires some effort, commitment and perseverance on your behalf.
                            Successfully adopting some or all of the strategies and lifestyle goals discussed in this article will definitely help you lose the extra pounds around your waist.

Comment

So, if you want to reduce your fatpad, eliminate stress in your life and do aerobic exercise. What other options are there? Is steady state different from aerobic exercise?
                              My Work

ARTICLES:

Comment

Working...
                              X