Burning Body Fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning Body Fat

Over the past year I have lost quite a bit of weight, I would say over 50lbs. I lost the weight by eating less, and little exercise. Now I am at a point where I need to loose a bit more, but not by just cutting the calories, but by exercising more. The main areas that I need to loose the fat is in the stomach, thighs, chest, back, and sides (Damn those love handles).

Everyone tells me to go to the gym, but I can't afford that at the moment and I don't know what exercises I should concentrate on. I actually own a bench that someone had given me, but I am not sure of exactly how to make use of it. It is an Impex Autobench MX WM 101 (Image: http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/735...100500x500.jpg). I don't have the manual and I had to learn to put it together using that image that I found on the internet.

I have also been told that I could try jogging, but my stamina is not the best. I admit that it is better than what it use to be, but it could still use some work. I also don't feel very comfortable jogging because I always get that feeling that everyone is watching me and it drives me nuts for some reason. That is something I would like to overcome. The only thing that really sucks is that I work overnights, and I get home at about 7:30AM. Around that time and up, there are cars all over the road and we have no sidewalks.

I don't have too much money, so I can't afford to go out and buy any expensive supplements. I do buy Zone Perfect bars for lunch at work, that I can actually afford.

If anyone has any ideas or comments, feel free to post. I am willing to listen.

High Dark,

Your genetics will dictate where & in what pattern you loose the body fat, we cannot 'spot reduce' as much as we would like to. The key measurement is waist circumference - if that comes down, you know you are having a positive effect on your health.

At the moment I am getting a lot out of brisk walking. I try & do 30mins each day. At the moment I am about 25lbs over weight & walking is perfect for me as it does not hurt my joints. I like cycling for this reason also. I now have no intention of jogging again.

Also with walking, there is no reason to ever feel self conscious. It needs to be brisk/purposeful - not like a relaxed stroll.
    Vulcan
    7.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>8.125"BPEL (current)
    5.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>5.75"EG (current)

Comment

Why not try this, along the lines Mr Spock just told you;a brisk walk! When you get home at 7:00 am do not go in the house. Have your sneakers in the car.Put them on and walk 15 minutes one way.Then turn around and make sure you walk back to your starting point in 15 minutes. Remember at what point along the road you turned around (use a tree or mailbox or house or whatever to make your spot). The next morning you want to walk just past that spot in that SAME 15 minutes and return back to your starting point again in 15 minutes.By increasing the distance each day you walk you will be slowly picking up your pace which will burn more calories. By limiting your time to 30 minutes the workout won't be too time consuming. After your done. go inside, take a shower, and if you eat in the morning after working all night you'll find that by doing it after you exercised you'll just eat less!
      The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Another good & free thing you can do is to have a mental scale say from;

6 (sitting reading a book)............................................. ........................14........................ .......................20 (absolute maximal effort/total exhaustion)

to get to 65-70% of your maximal heart rate, you want to be at around 14 (in your head), as you get fitter you will be walking faster or swimming faster to get to this mental marker ~ getting fitter.

Once someone gets used to using this scale it becomes very dependable - I can usually guess my HR when exercising to within 5 or 8 BPM no real need to wear a heart rate monitor.
        Vulcan

Comment

Since you don't have a gym membership, I recommend you give skipping(rope jumping) a try. It's cheap, it can be done anywhere, it's fun and it's VERY exhausting!!

For fat burn, high intensity interval trainings work best. You can google "interval cardio" to get more related information.

Good luck
          AP90 member.

Comment

Actually we do not know your current weight, age or level of fitness.

If you are already pretty fit then by all means give HIIT a try, if base fitness levels are low &/or you are still carrying significant extra weight - then start with the 65-70% work.

The more intense someone goes, then the more important a full cool-down becomes. Cool-down just needs to keep your calf muscles moving for 5>10mins (walking usually is enough) ie, don't go from working hard to sitting stationary, no matter how tired you feel - keep moving until your HR gets down to at least 100BPM (roughly 10 on that scale from previous post).
            Vulcan

Comment

Alright guys, thanks for the info. I am going to give vulcan's and CUSP82's idea a shot. Though I have to say, walking out in heat while wearing jeans may not be a good idea, but I do wear my New Balance shoes to work, so I don't have to swap shoes, just pants. lol

ManWithPlan, I will Google "interval cardio" and do some research as you said, but I am probably going to give vulcan's and CUSP82's idea a shot to see how things go with that. As for the jump rope, I have tried that indoors...it didn't work out too well with my low ceiling. hanging lights, and other things around me. lol

I already went for a walk to one of the stores not far from here to try to get an interview for a second job. It was easier than going by car due to all the traffic.

Comment

Weight: 175
                Level of Fitness: No Clue

Comment

Originally posted by DarkXPSX View Post
                  Weight: 175
                  Level of Fitness: No Clue
                  From this, you can try all things ~ assuming average height.

In the longterm it is quite good to mix up steady state work & interval training.

I had assumed you were still a lot heavier than this.

Anyway, good luck & enjoy.
                  Vulcan

Comment

Always remember that the body becomes accustomed to one type of exercise after a few weeks ie it becomes more efficient in the way it operates and subsequently said exercise gets easier.

I've found the best thing to do is to change your exercise be it weights or cardio on a regular basis (within your own fitness parameters)

But remember doing a bit is better than doing nothing!! - I sound like a bleeding fortune cookie
                    11/Feb/10 11/Jan/11
                    5.375" BPEL 7" BPEL
                    4.875" EG 5" EG

Short Term Goal 7" x 5.25"
                    Overall Goal 8.5" x 6.5"

Comment

One word:

Insanity.

This program is INSANE!!! It is nonstop cardio! The workouts are tough, but the results are well worth it! I have done one round of it, and plan to continue this week. I love it! Search it on google of you want to know any more about it.
                      August 2011
                      BPEL: 6.125
                      MEG: 4.7

Short-Term Goal
                      BPEL: 6.50"
                      MEG: 5.00"

Comment

Yeah, I keep hearing insanity with sean T is good-- a friend of mine mixes it with p90x --

he says the only issue with insanity is lack of variety, so he uses workouts from a few of the different beach body programs.
                        My progress journal / useful PE links

Comment

Originally posted by aduk View Post
                          Always remember that the body becomes accustomed to one type of exercise after a few weeks ie it becomes more efficient in the way it operates and subsequently said exercise gets easier.

I've found the best thing to do is to change your exercise be it weights or cardio on a regular basis (within your own fitness parameters)

But remember doing a bit is better than doing nothing!! - I sound like a bleeding fortune cookie
                          I don't know how tall you are (175 lbs is different on different bodies) but HIIT is awesome...but pace yourself...and mix it up! You'll body will get acclimated to an exercise routine faster than you might think. Maybe do some walking for 15 min then add 3 min jump-roping. Or, even better, create routine with jump ropes, push-ups, pull ups (a pull up bar like the ones at GMC or VItamin Shoppe will change your life), walking...interval it up.

And then some say fitness starts and ends in the kitchen.

ALSO, there's a podcast on iTunes called THE FITCAST. It's a roundtable of personal trainers, physical therapists, nutritionists...all intelligent and insanely educated about their respective fields...that they all have a great sense of humor is a plus. They talk about everything from weight loss, to surgery recovery, to body building, etc. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!!!!
                          STATS:
                          Start (Aug '10) -- BPEL 6" x 6" -- BPFSL 5.75" x 3.5"

GOAL:
                          BPEL 7.5" x 6.5"
                          :rolleyes:

Comment

I think that's one great thing about P90x--when I do it, it doesn't feel like I'm doing "that much", but there's so much variety.... the interval training is somehow making me lose weight. Later on I will try insanity & this other hardcore stuff too...

I realize P90x is mid-level stuff & that other stuff is more extreme
                            My progress journal / useful PE links

Comment

I like to think that P90X is the equivalent of JPs 90 Day. HA!
                              STATS:
                              Start (Aug '10) -- BPEL 6" x 6" -- BPFSL 5.75" x 3.5"

GOAL:
                              BPEL 7.5" x 6.5"
                              :rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                              X