Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep

Any tips on sleep? I try to get to bed at a decent hour, later on weekends, and wake up early. I shoot for 8 hours.

However, I have trouble getting to sleep, not to the point of insomnia, at least I don't think. I don't drink caffeine or anything like that late. However, i have trouble getting rid of mental images and thoughts, worries, etc. Also, I think i may have some degree of sleep apnea, maybe the air quality isn't that good.

How can I sleep better, falling asleep and esp. sleep quality?
    PATIENCE
    CONSISTENCY
    FOCUS and
    DETERMINATION

I experience some of the same sympotoms as you my friend. I'm very high energy, take a lot of supplements (for working out), probably has something to do with it. I know on days when I DONT workout, I have trouble falling asleep bigtime! Post workout, I'll take me 2 melatonin, put on some enya, lights off and nighty night, works everytime.

Try just forcing yourself to sleep. Turn everything off, clear your mind man, and just lay there, you will drift off. Im sure your thoughts are creating difficutly as well, do you meditate ever?
    I'm a lean mean PE'ing machine!

Comment

You need to go to bed with a clear mind!

Comment

First of all lower your sleeping hours for about an hour or so. My sleeping time was 7 hours and 45 minutes nap.

Laying and getting up at the same time works wonders. A nap in approx of 45 minutes sometime in the day is also a excellent thing.

When you lie down to bed don't try to get asleep, observer your thought process and move as little as you can. If you have a urge to change the position postpone it for a minute or so (i recommend lying on the back if you have no breathing or snoring problems) and it will go away, since most of the time the urge to change the position is the need of the mind not of the body, you will notice that if you postpone it long enough.

As you observe your thought process, pick one word, any word.

For example your thought process:
        "I can't get to sleep. I can't get to sleep. I can't get to sleep. I can't get to sleep. I can't get to sleep. "

Now take the word sleep, and focus on that word only. Repeat it slooooowlly letter by letter

S-------------L----------------------------------E-------------------------E-------------------------------P

In time you will notice that when you do it slowly you have to remember the letter before the current letter and the letter after. In other words you are so focused on letters that you will forget what was the word all about. In time the word it self will lose all meaning beside being just that a word.

Take note that when you have an irresistable urge to move you do it slowly millimeter by millimeter, and move only when you absolutely have to.

P-E-E-L-S

If you get bored you can repeat the word letter by letter form the last letter, or imagine you are writing it on a board again slowly and letter by letter.

This worked wonders for me when i did it, and each day (that was a very stressful year so that helped) i slept and woke up full of energy.

Use your alarm clock and when it rings you get up no matter what, even if you have to crawl out of it to the bathroom or where ever.

Every day during the day lay down and rest for 45 minutes (as you lay down in bed set your alarm to wake you up in exactly 45 minutes) and use the techniques that I mentioned above. When the alarm rings you get up no matter what.

This works.
        premE FAQ

Comment

Wow, impressive post there Minueteman, was very deep!

Comment

I had some problems with that and i stumbled upon a technique that proved to be very useful. The only bad parts of it is that the nap requires free time during the day, and that if you brake your intervals it may all fall crashing. Nap is a very esental part.

The only reason i don't do it now in the intensity i did before is because i feel no need for it, but i should never the less practice it.
            premE FAQ

Comment

That really was a great post Minuteman! You get some rep from me!

I used to have a lot of trouble with my sleeping patterns and actually getting to sleep - this would have helped a lot!
              One day your life will flash before your eyes, make sure it's worth watching - Look Alive
              Boost your sex drive ¦ Become a better lover

Comment

when I am in bed and all alone its dark have nothing to do my brain kicks into high speed and I start thinking about everything so I watch a movie every night as im going to bed so its only one thing im focused on and i slowly get tired stop paying attention and just fall asleep ... even as a kid I had this problem but my parents didn't like it so they would come into my room at 10 and make sure my TV was off and then they would go to bed i would wait like an hour for them to fall asleep then turn it back on

Comment

Have a ritual that you follow every night as you get ready for bed. Take off your clothes, brush your teeth, use the toilet, feed the dog, put the cat out, say your prayers, etc.
                  Do the same things every night in the same order. You will train yourself to close down and prepare for sleep.

This is basic stress management stuff.
                  Pirate Diplomacy:
                  The art of telling someone to go to hell and having them look forward to the trip.

Remember: If done right, there is no such thing as safe sex.

Comment

Oh, and have lots of sex. That helps a lot.
                    Pirate Diplomacy:
                    The art of telling someone to go to hell and having them look forward to the trip.

Comment

Get tested for sleep aponea, it can lead to major health problems.

Comment

I think the key to good sleep is keeping life's stresses to as minimum and really learn how to harness your mind and turn it off. I've had insomnia before and it sucks. I toss and turn until like 4am and then I FINALLY get to sleep and I have to get up in like an hour and a half for work..........SUCKS!

Turn off your mind and focus on nothing but rest.
                        It's a tough job being good looking and hung :-)

Comment

Easier said than done, alas.

Comment

Sleep apnea is a big deal. If you have a thick neck, even if you are not fat, or have suffocation nightmares, or wake up a lot for no obvious reason, you should get it looked into.
                            Pirate Diplomacy:

Comment

Wow, didn't expect so many responses. i agree with MrBigDick, stress is definitely a factor. I try to clear my mind like bgstick18 said. Once I get asleep i have no problems, so i don't think its sleep apnea. I will try MinuteMan and Pirate's methods and see how they work. Thanks!
                              PATIENCE
                              CONSISTENCY
                              FOCUS and
                              DETERMINATION

Comment

Working...
                              X