Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it bad to keep working out using less weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it bad to keep working out using less weight?

I usually push myself until I cant do anymore reps, unless I lower the weight. Would there be any negatives in just using less weight so that I could keep working the same muscle group?

What are you looking for, lean muscle or mass? And how many reps are you doing? You also don't want to overtrain.

Just a quick guide.

Lean muscle: 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps (lighter weight)

Mass: 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps (heavy weight)
    Nothin2ItBut2DoIt's Progress Log

"The doctor told me I can't do any heavy lifting so I'm going to need someone to help me go to the bathroom or else I'm going to have to sit down to pee."

Comment

I want lean muscle. So far I do the 3 sets, 12-15 reps, but I do it with the most weight I can handle. What I want to know is when Im done those first 3 sets, if I did another 3 sets with lesser weight, what would the affects be?

Comment

If a guy is an Endomorph, then high repetition work is what I would primarily focus on ~ if the person just wants to look fit & athletic.
        Vulcan
        7.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>8.125"BPEL (current)
        5.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>5.75"EG (current)

Comment

You might quickly overtrain. It kind of all depends on the person. You could always switch exercises that still target those muscle groups. When I was going consistently I usually did 2 or 3 exercises for whatever muscle group. Like chest and back - bench press, incline flies, decline bench press + lat pull downs (regular grip), lat pull downs (wide grip), bent over rows.

Every once in a while I did drop sets (lower the weight each time when needed) until failure, but I wouldn't suggest doing those all the time.

"The doctor told me I can't do any heavy lifting so I'm going to need someone to help me go to the bathroom or else I'm going to have to sit down to pee."

Comment

Originally posted by vulcan View Post
            If a guy is an Endomorph, then high repetition work is what I would primarily focus on ~ if the person just wants to look fit & athletic.
            Forgot to take that into consideration at all.

Here's a link if you don't know what you are. Body Types

Comment

I am an ectomorph. I am not too worried about over-training. If I do ill just know better for next time. I was under the impression that continuous strain built much more dense hard muscle though. Like a lumberjack swinging an axe continuously all day vs a 90 second workout that strains the muscles for only 90 seconds.

I was wondering if I could build harder, smaller, muscles through tearing the shit out of them and working them out a little longer with lesser weights.

Comment

If I was an Ectomorph I would lift heavy (rep range 5>9) mainly compound lifts especially deadlifts. This will ultimately lead to the ectomorph looking like a decathlete.

Bad idea/waste of time for an ectomorph to do very high reps IMO.
                Vulcan

Comment

I'm not sure... I did see a video one time about a place in Africa where there were bartenders who had HUGE biceps and literally all they did was lift kegs over and over.. so it might work. I just don't know if you could replicate that with only gym sessions compared to every day activity/job - same as with the lumberjack idea.

Comment

No doubt, you can get into very good shape through manual labour.

Some guys just have very enviable genetics & look very good without working out much at all.
                    Vulcan

Comment

I dont really care what I look like. I want the most strength with the least amount of muscle. This would mean increase muscle density I think. What is the best way to do that? I mean manual labor seems to work great but is that because it is continuously tearing the muscle? Working out would cause bigger tears but over a much shorter period of time. Can someone who knows explain this to me please? Would be greatly appreciated, thx.

Comment

Well if you want the most strength with the least amount of muscle, you are probably after what is known as functional strength.

Comment

Originally posted by phil88 View Post
                          I dont really care what I look like. I want the most strength with the least amount of muscle. This would mean increase muscle density I think. What is the best way to do that? I mean manual labor seems to work great but is that because it is continuously tearing the muscle? Working out would cause bigger tears but over a much shorter period of time. Can someone who knows explain this to me please? Would be greatly appreciated, thx.
                          Pushups, pull ups, crunches, squats, sit ups, and plyometric workouts, etc are perfect for that. Like PEskeptic said, you'd be interested in functional strength straining. Eventually you'll be able to do say 5 more pushups every week. You're not going to be gaining a lot of muscle mass, but your endurance and strength will increase.

Comment

Perfect, thank you. From what I can tell this is exactly what I was looking for

Comment

check out crossfit.com
                              there are great exercises that compound fitness with strength. It sounds like it'd be a perfect match for you.
                              https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...nt-logger.html
                              My Loggy Log

Comment

Working...
                              X