Need Tips on Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Tips on Running

I am going to join the police force in my country and i need tips for running.Let me tell you,I am a lazy computer guy with no previous experience of running.So i need some tips so i can run longer distance in shorter time without feeling drained out.

I need to practice for 1 month maybe.
    If you build it, She will come!!!

You will likely need more than 1 month if police standards are what they should be. I run 1-2 a week(more during summer/spring), and I would need at least a couple of month of running and strength exercises before going to the outtakes.

Anyway, to the running. First bit is get good running shoes, that is the most important part. It will prevent injuries and let you maintain a intense workout schedule over a longer period of time. After doing that start by jogging a couple of times(1 if you aren't able to do several) a week for 15-30 minutes(or less depending on your conditioning). Try not to stop up for a rest, even walk if you have to, but try to keep your pulse up.

-UYN-
    19/04/2011
    FG: 4.25" +0.45
    FL: 5.19" +0.69
    EG: 4.75" +0.45
    BPFSL: 7.69" +1.58
    NBPEL: 7.25" +1.19
    BPEL: 7.677"+1.757

Comment

If you can IClone, join a running club at the Gym or wherever - if you are in a City it's easy to find one.

You will do more & find it easier not being alone, obviously you will do some sessions alone.

I agree with UYN about the shoes.
      Vulcan
      7.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>8.125"BPEL (current)
      5.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>5.75"EG (current)

Comment

Take the guys' advice while you can mate, cos after you join the police we can no longer collaborate with the authorities! Nah just kidding yeah try and find a running buddy- a friend who wants to get in shape maybe- to help with motivation. Also, even if you're running at the gym, do try a couple of times a month to get outdoors, even if conditions are horrible! Rain, hail, whatever. The harder the conditions the better the training.

Comment

Try good shoes, breath through your mouth and out your nose, run upright, and I know its hard but relax, take nice long even strides!
          Current 7.52 bpel Thanks Hand!!!
          Erect girth 5 1/4!!! Thanks clamping!!!!!

Comment

A month is really a very brief period of time. I like a technique where you warm up with a half mile jog, then run around a 400 m track; sprinting the straights and jogging the curves. Start off with 1.5 miles (2 miles with warm up) and work your way up to 3 -4miles. It basically is a primitive form of interval training.

In most cases, you would jog for a month just to condition yourself to the activity of running;and then start your training. As a crash course for military and police tests, I have seen the sprint straights/jog curves, be very successful in helping guys pass a 2 mile run test with a minimal amount of training.

Comment

Originally posted by UYN View Post
              You will likely need more than 1 month if police standards are what they should be. I run 1-2 a week(more during summer/spring), and I would need at least a couple of month of running and strength exercises before going to the outtakes.

Anyway, to the running. First bit is get good running shoes, that is the most important part. It will prevent injuries and let you maintain a intense workout schedule over a longer period of time. After doing that start by jogging a couple of times(1 if you aren't able to do several) a week for 15-30 minutes(or less depending on your conditioning). Try not to stop up for a rest, even walk if you have to, but try to keep your pulse up.

-UYN-

I ran in a ground for maybe 30 minutes.Did 8.5 rounds.I intended to do 10 but it was first time after many years.So UYN you are saying i shouldn't stop at all and keep walking? I might try it.I have good shoes.I intend to make 15 rounds tomorrow.

I am 22 by the way.

Comment

I used to run cross country and the hardest part is what your doing now. Once your body is conditioned running will feel great. I think interval training would be good as well. Which is mixing high output sprints in with your jogging. Whatever you do stick with it. My brother conditioned himself well enough to survive Marine Corp boot camp in a month or two. So it is possible. Don't forget that if you are training hard you may need to consume more calories than normal.

Comment

I agree with mechanicJT. Though when you are training to survive the Marine Corp boot camp you probably are in good shape already, and IClone said he was just starting up from being a "computer guy".

As for the not stopping, yes if you are doing regular running, but if you are doing intervals as mechanicJT suggest, then of course you have to stop, so it all depends on HOW you want to work out. I like constant running instead of interval, though I think interval is the better choice while trying to increase your oxygen uptake/lung capacity.

-UYN-
                  19/04/2011
                  FG: 4.25" +0.45
                  FL: 5.19" +0.69
                  EG: 4.75" +0.45
                  BPFSL: 7.69" +1.58
                  NBPEL: 7.25" +1.19
                  BPEL: 7.677"+1.757

Comment

Originally posted by BlasphemousRumors View Post
                    Try good shoes, breath through your mouth and out your nose, run upright, and I know its hard but relax, take nice long even strides!

Why do i have to breath the opposite way?

Comment

Music.. listen to music while you run, it makes it so much easier. If you're really lazy start by riding a bike everywhere.
                      Current: 7 NBPEL, 5.5 mid EG, 5.8 Base EG
                      Dream goal: 8x6

Comment

In your nose out your mouth is better.
                        It's what I do to calm myself, keep my heartrate where I want.
                        It's what I do when I'm hunting and am trying to make a long shot and don't want to move too much.

Doing it the other way will dry the hell out of your mouth.
                        Starting Size (09/2009): ~7"BPEL x ~5" MSEG
                        Most Recent Measurement (08/13/2012): 8"BPEL x 5.5"MSEG
                        Final Goal: When I'm told to stop.
                        http://www.towelaroundtheworld.com/#/us

Comment

Some great advice here guys.
                          I have learned that the 2 most important things are your breathing techniques and your digestive system.These are the 2 things that will slow you down and cause the most discomfort while running.So make sure that your stomach is empty if possible,or at least wait 2-3 hours after a big meal to avoid cramps and indigestion or trapped wind. Because if there is food still moving through the intestines or trying to get to the bowels,running intensely can cause problems aswell as the lungs working extra hard.For breathing the first few minutes are vital.If you start to breathe nice and slowly in a controlled manner at the very start this will give great benefit to your whole run,but if you get out of breath quickly it might not be a very successful jogging session.Also as the guys have mentioned breathing in through your nose and out through you mouth and using music are also 2 great points to remember.Having an ipod or mp3 player with a load of your favourite tracks on it is fantastic for running.
                          Starting Size-------6.75" x 5.0"
                          Last Measurement-7.25" x 5.25"
                          Destination---------7.5" x 5.5"

"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight"

Comment

I am moving this to the Health and Fitness Forum where it belongs.

To get started running, you need just a few things:
                            (1) Good running shoes. BUY THESE AT A REAL RUNNING STORE. Do not try for a cheap option, you can really do damage to yourself that way.
                            (2) Patience. Don't rush it too much.
                            (3) Perseverance. You have to stick with it, don't quit. Starting a running program is alway hard and feels awful.... but after a while, running will become a joy. But you have to stick with it to get to that point.

I went from being a total couch potato (who could not run a mile straight without stopping) to running the New York City Marathon -- in just a few years. I love running now, but I sure didn't at first.

If you are really out of shape and not used to running, I think the best way to get started is to pick a distance -- say 2 or 3 miles -- and cover it every other day. DO NOT expect to be able to run the whole way. Jog until you get out of breath, then walk until you feel better, then run until you get out of breath, then walk, etc. You will find that you run more and walk less each time, and after a while you are running the whole way. That's how I got started.

Comment

Personaly I would say, don't stop and walk, if you are starting out then run a little slower, it is a kind of victory not stopping.
                              You could time yourself over a distance the firat time, running within yourself then attempt to beat that each time.
                              The human body can achieve a tremendous amount, it is the human brain that curtails this.
                              As for musec, remember if you are road running that can be a good way to get in an accident, not being able to hear traffic.
                              Having successfully completed Marine Boot camp I can only agree with mechanicJT and his assessment of his brother, he would have been fit and healthy to start, you by your own admission are just starting out.
                              The hardest part of physical work is held in the space between your ears...
                              Hope you are successful in your running and your career in the Police.
                              Take Care.

Comment

Working...
                              X