Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I do for a serious 10-12 week gym program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do for a serious 10-12 week gym program?

Stats:

5'11
    176 pounds
    14-16% body fat (by my scales so that's an estimate but it seems accurate since it's in the average body fat area which I would say objectively I belong to, certainly not overweight)

I'm looking to get a three month (12 weeks) membership for the gym starting in a week or two and I figure I might as well make the most of it and really condition my body, I want to gain muscle and look more athletic and while I know it won't happen dramatically in 12 weeks, I can certainly get a good start in 12 weeks.

Logically I'd say in 12 weeks I could gain about 7.5-12.5 pounds of muscle if I go 100% in that time period after looking at websites and doing a few calculations.

So bascially my objective is gain muscle, obviously I want to do cardio as well but I don't want my cardio to inhibit building muscle, I don't want to lose more weight than I gain bascially.

For the first two weeks of the twelve weeks I've thought those are really 'trial weeks' in I do all the things available at the gym and see what weight i can lift and what works and what doesn't then design my gym workout plan for the next 10 weeks (which would be a draft considering things change) and also I want to be strict with my diet, according to a calculator for my weight and height if I want to gain muscle 180g of protein a day is required which is around double for a normal male. I'll be buying protein shakes and things but I want to be really strict with what I eat. Cutting out junk food, soda and all that. I know eating small meals frequently increases the metabolism and stops you eating so much junk because you don't feel hungry as often.

I have ideas of what I want to do but the more info I have, the better off I will be. So any suggestions as to what is best to eat, how to workout, what workouts to do etc. I'd probably be at the gym 4 days a week and I have a dumbell set at home.
    Current Stats

FL: 3.75"
    FG: 3.5"
    SFL: 5.5"

NBEL: 6.5"
    BPEL: 7.3"
    MEG: 5.51"

If this 10-12 week thing is all you are going to do in the foreseeable future at a gym, cardio is out. You can walk and run any time, if this is the only access you will have to a gym, doing the cardio here will be a waste of time. Since it appears you are trying to gain weight, it will also be a waste of calories.

Eat a lot, and eat a lot of protein. 200g+ of protein per day, every day. You are going to gain fat and muscle, you can walk, run, swim, or bike after the twelve weeks. Eat a lot. Do not work the same muscle group on consecutive days. Also, eat a lot.

There are literally hundreds of programs that will work. Some people want to put on muscle everywhere, some people think their biceps are the only muscle on their body.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

My biceps are decent enough, I don't want this to just be the start of gaining huge biceps. I want to gain muscle all over, lats, traps, quads bascially the lower half and upper half.

I don't want to cut out cardio altogether but I know why I shouldn't do it too much considering it will be a waste but maybe do it for a bit on an 'off day'.
      Current Stats

Comment

if you are looking for the fastest gains, what you want to do is this:

compound exercises - squats, deadlifts, bench press, hang clean, etc. these work many muscles at once rather than one at a time, this will give you more effective use of time.

drink skim milk - drink milk instead of water. every time you are thirsty, skim milk. there are 128g of protein in a gallon of skim milk, no fat, little sugar. so much better than protein shakes in my opinion (and i was a protein shake junkie) drink a gallon a day and you will have trouble not gaining muscle.

organize your eating for maximum effectiveness. simple fruit sugars before workouts, protein rich meals after, small meal in the morning to start your metabolism, slow digesting protein before bed, etc.

you can be jacked in three months if you give it 100% dude. good luck!

focus on your diet - diet is 75% of getting in shape. if you follow a super strict diet, 3 months is enough time to get you ripped as hell.
        The force is strong with you young Skywalker. Obi Wan has trained you well.

before: 6X4.5
        now: 7X5
        next: 8X6

Comment

blahhhhhhhhh i hate milk though haha always have since i was a kid, I'm drinking water obviously to stay hydrated. I doubt I could drink a gallon (4 litres I think that is) of milk I day even if I liked it, I'm sure I can get 200g a day of protein through eating and drinking other things.
          Current Stats

Comment

https://www.pegym.com/forums/gym/171...y-workout.html

Comment

Read this (seriously, best novice program IMO):
              Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ - Bodybuilding.com Forums
              Starting Stats: BPEL 5.75x4.45
              Now: BPEL 6.25x4.6
              Short Term Goal: 6.25 BPELx4.7 Girth
              Journal:
              https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...7-5x5-5-a.html

Comment

Things have changed. I'm doing conditioning for 4-6 weeks before I even do serious stuff to gain muscle.

Originally my gym trainer put this workout for me (employed by the gym so the person didn't know me at all)

Warm Up:
                Cross Trainer (5 mins, level 3-10)

Workout:
                Leg Press 3 x 15
                Seated Chest Press 3 x 15
                Narrow Grip Rows 3 x 15
                Leg Raises 3 x 15

After Workout:
                Treadmill jog speed 20 mins or bike (Level 5-10) 20 mins at 70RPM+

stretches afterwards.

That was originally for a 60 minute session but I talked to one of my best mates who is studying sports science and psychology, is a personal trainer and at the moment is 200lbs at 11% body fat and he is only 5'6 so he is a living example and he modified it. He has known me for over 5.5 years so he knows more about my body in terms of gym and stuff than this woman does. He criticised what she gave me because some of my muscles were not being worked out in the conditioning phase.

New Workout:

Before workout:
                The same as above

Workout:
                Shoulder Press 3 x 15
                Deadlift 3 x 15
                Floor Crunches 3 x 15
                Leg Press 3 x 15
                Narrow Grip Row 3 x 15

(these aren't in order).

and I didn't put the weights im doing them at, bit embarassed about them but also because I still need to tweak them out so I can do 15 reps in a set but no more so this can work. My mate knows a lot about this stuff which is great, I'm actually proud of him for doing something he is so interested in because originally he was going to be an electrician. He knows all about protein shakes, what's good and what isn't etc.

So at the moment I am 5'11, 180lbs. But I have a big frame, lean weight is 149-155lbs (68-70kg) and that is what a lot of my mates weigh (average guys who don't do a lot of gym but are reasonably fit) with body fat. I think in terms of losing body fat if I did cardio and losing weight I wouldn't want to get below 169lbs because losing weight because I don't want to get to the point of starting to cut into muscle when i lose body fat this method. I'll probably not do too much cardio for the time being and concentrate on losing body fat through weights and working the muscles.
                Current Stats

Comment

Agree on the starting strength suggestion.

Comment

I really like Jim Wendler's 5-3-1 program. I have been doing it for the last 6 months and have made tremendous gains. Look it up.
                    But if you have that membership at a PlanetFitness you will get tossed out if you do this routine. They do not allow one the best
                    exercises there is. Deadlifting.
                    Don't Grunt in Planet Fitness! - YouTube
                    8/17/2011 Beginning date
                    BPEL 6.5
                    EG 5.5
                    BPFSL 5.75
                    FL:4
                    FG:4

11/22/2011 Current
                    BPEL:6.5
                    EG: 6
                    FL:5
                    FG:5

My Progress Log

Goals: Improved EQ, penis health

Comment

Also what about chocolate milk. It is one of the best after workout drinks.
                      8/17/2011 Beginning date
                      BPEL 6.5
                      EG 5.5
                      BPFSL 5.75
                      FL:4
                      FG:4

11/22/2011 Current
                      BPEL:6.5
                      EG: 6
                      FL:5
                      FG:5

My Progress Log

Goals: Improved EQ, penis health

Comment

nah i'll just stick to protein whihch atm is chocolate flavour.
                        Current Stats

Comment

I did Tim Ferris' workout plan for two months with decent results about a year or 2 ago. His book the 4 hour body is an interesting read.
                          25/6/2011
                          NBPEL: 5.6in x 4.8in
                          NBPFL: 3.54in x 3.74in
                          BPEL: 5.9in

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; Genius will not; Education will not; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Comment

I'm in a similar situation to the OP. My stats:

Height: 6' (183cm)
                            Weight: 150lbs (68kg)
                            Body fat: ~14%

I have been doing P90X and I'm liking it so far. I have been keeping my diet balance and I have basically cut out sugar as much as possible. I have just bought myself some quality protien powder (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey), but the skim milk idea intrigues me. I may give that a try. It really depends what works out cheaper. I'm trying to bulk up before the Aussie summer

How much protein should I be getting a day? I will probably take 3-4 shakes a day with the power alone giving 24g per scoop and I take it with half milk half water, with the occasional egg white thrown in.
                            Tharros
                            Last edited by Tharros; 08-23-2011, 08:30 AM.
                            Current (20/02/2012) - BPEL: 7.3" (+0.8") MEG: 4.6" (+0.3")
                            Short Term Goal - BPEL: 7.5" MEG: 4.75"
                            Long Term Goal - BPEL: 8.5" MEG: 5.75"
                            My Log

Comment

Originally posted by ryansambas View Post
                              Things have changed. I'm doing conditioning for 4-6 weeks before I even do serious stuff to gain muscle.

Originally my gym trainer put this workout for me (employed by the gym so the person didn't know me at all)

Warm Up:
                              Cross Trainer (5 mins, level 3-10)

Workout:
                              Leg Press 3 x 15
                              Narrow Grip Rows 3 x 15
                              Leg Raises 3 x 15

After Workout:
                              Treadmill jog speed 20 mins or bike (Level 5-10) 20 mins at 70RPM+

stretches afterwards.

That was originally for a 60 minute session but I talked to one of my best mates who is studying sports science and psychology, is a personal trainer and at the moment is 200lbs at 11% body fat and he is only 5'6 so he is a living example and he modified it. He has known me for over 5.5 years so he knows more about my body in terms of gym and stuff than this woman does. He criticised what she gave me because some of my muscles were not being worked out in the conditioning phase.

New Workout:

Before workout:
                              The same as above

Workout:
                              Shoulder Press 3 x 15
                              Deadlift 3 x 15
                              Floor Crunches 3 x 15
                              Leg Press 3 x 15
                              Narrow Grip Row 3 x 15

(these aren't in order).

and I didn't put the weights im doing them at, bit embarassed about them but also because I still need to tweak them out so I can do 15 reps in a set but no more so this can work. My mate knows a lot about this stuff which is great, I'm actually proud of him for doing something he is so interested in because originally he was going to be an electrician. He knows all about protein shakes, what's good and what isn't etc.

So at the moment I am 5'11, 180lbs. But I have a big frame, lean weight is 149-155lbs (68-70kg) and that is what a lot of my mates weigh (average guys who don't do a lot of gym but are reasonably fit) with body fat. I think in terms of losing body fat if I did cardio and losing weight I wouldn't want to get below 169lbs because losing weight because I don't want to get to the point of starting to cut into muscle when i lose body fat this method. I'll probably not do too much cardio for the time being and concentrate on losing body fat through weights and working the muscles.
                              Check out the link i posted above man. Way better than that routine you've got. Thats way too high reps anyways.
                              Starting Stats: BPEL 5.75x4.45
                              Now: BPEL 6.25x4.6
                              Short Term Goal: 6.25 BPELx4.7 Girth
                              Journal:
                              https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...7-5x5-5-a.html

Comment

Working...
                              X