Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a grip on obsessive thoughts and body image..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a grip on obsessive thoughts and body image..

I think that as PE'ers we sometimes obsess over things. Especially our bodies. A friend on here was asking me about obsessive thoughts and how I have learned to deal with them. It's kind of like a bad back. You are never free of it so you just work to manage it as best as you can. This is what I wrote and wanted to share it with you guys in case it might help someone some day. Most of what I know about this I have learned from "The Power of Now" by Tolle and also "consciousness" by OSHO. Both books changed my understanding of who I am and who I am not. I also recommend "The Mastery of Love" which is along the same lines and an easier read... Anyways, Here it is..

You are not your mind nor are you your body.. You are a spiritual being having a human experience trapped inside a temporary animated body. You are a beautiful extension of the great cosmic energy. Your body is just your body. One day it will die and you will travel on. Buddha said "All things are temporary"..

The first step to enlightenment, freedom and fulfillment is realizing that "YOU ARE NOT THE THINKER"..

The voices in your head are only senseless chatter. Chatter is not real and the voice(s) is not the true you. Chatter is a function or flaw of the mind. OUR GOAL IS TO FREE THE MIND OF SENSELESS REPETITIVE CHATTER AND ALLOW SPACE FOR PRESENCE AND AWARENESS, IN THE MOMENT. The true you is inspired by art, music, love, sports, family, food, puppies, kittens, gardening, cooking, volunteering etc.. whatever links you to the great divine. WHEN YOU ARE DOING THE THINGS YOU LOVE YOU ARE THE TRUE YOU. JOYOUS HAPPY AND FREE AND CONNECTED TO GOD AS YOU KNOW IT.

The first thing we need to do is work on your awareness and presence. When a person is truly present (free of chatter) their energy fills a room like a burst of sunshine. They are happy and joyous. Everyone notices when they blast into the room. A present person is able to laugh love and give freely of himself. When a person is not present they are consumed by thought. They are not really there. They are somewhere else. Many places at once. Not here, not there only somewhere in between. Their presence is clouded and muted by chatter.

For example. Whenever I surf and catch a great ripping wave I ride it and work it for all of the juice and excitement and glory it can provide. When I jump off I have an uncontrollable grin from ear to ear and I scream YEAAAAAHHHH!!!! or THANK YOU GODDD! and laugh out loud. The funny thing is that I can rarely recall the experience of riding the wave. I just know it was an incredible ride. The reason I can't remember is that I was completely present to the moment. My mind shuts down and the experience takes over and I feel unadulterated joy all because for a moment I was connected to God. ( I say God for lack of a better word. To me God is all that is good and true in the entire universe)

The whole goal of meditation is to be in the moment. Present in the moment. Fully aware of your world and environment. It's in this space (Sometimes called "The Gap" a space between chatter and more chatter) that we are our true selves and connected to the entire great universe. "Walking meditation" is the easiest way to become aware and present and in the moment.

Step 1) WALKING MEDITATION

Go for a walk in a beautiful place such as a park. Walking and breathing fully, With a light smile on your face, take note of sights, smells and sounds around you. Do not judge the items as nice or bad or beautiful or red or big or small. Just take note of objects, become aware of them, focus on them for a few seconds. Really see and experience the object then point out another object and continue on. For instance.. "There is a pigeon.." Experience the pigeon.. "There is a stop sign, thanks you stop sign" . there is a tree....Thank you tree.. There is the smell of flowers, thank you smell of flowers.. Try this for 10 minutes.. just experiencing objects as you walk and then letting them go. While you are pointing your attention on the different objects you are increasing your awareness of the world around you that is often clouded by your attention to your garbage. This will give you a big boost in presence. By the end of your walk you may be able to open all of your senses to take in all of the sounds, sights, smells and feelings. Take in the ENTIRE scense all at once and hold onto it for a moment. In this moment you are fully present and fully aware and connected to all things.

When we are observing our world our mind will be quiet. If your mind inserts random thoughts just observe the thought."There is a thought.. thank you thought".. then bring your awareness back to another physical object. Do not analyze or dwell on the thought. Let it go just as you did the pigeon or the stop sign.

You may feel a sense of alertness and being alive. This awareness will carry itself into your day. While it's only for a short time you can, in time, extend your presence for longer periods. JUST REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU ARE AWARE AND PRESENT THERE IS NO ROOM FOR CHATTER AND SENSELESS THOUGHT. Notice that chatter only remembers the past and imagines the future. Chatter cannot be present.

Note:When you jog don't listen to music, practice your awareness. Music only supresses thoughts.

You will never be able to control your thoughts. To try to do so is feeble. You cannot. You can however practice awareness and in the state of aware there is no room for chatter. This is how we control our thoughts.
    Learn from my 3+ years of experience. Tips and tricks.

Good post. I need to remember to do this, the whole world does.
    Vulcan
    7.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>8.125"BPEL (current)
    5.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>5.75"EG (current)

Comment

Originally posted by vulcan View Post
      Good post. I need to remember to do this, the whole world does.
      Thank you..

Comment

You also have to look at the cause of the thoughts. Obsessive thoughts are caused by attachment to certain things. You should never be attached to anything for it will cause you a lot of stress and you will also forget about the good in you and around you.
        Current
        Length
        15/11/14
        BPFSL - 8 3/16 inch

15/11/14
        BPEL - 7 10/ 16 inch

Girth
        28/11/14
        MEG 5.5 inch

Goals
        NPEL 8.50 girth 6.00

EQ 10/10

Edging - 30 mins

Only doing Manual PE for devices are not an option at the moment.

Comment

TOTALLY! Great point. Tolle talks a lot about this in "A New Earth".

It's funny.. What most people call love is actually just attachment. When true love exists there is no attachment. The person that is loved is free to do as they please. In "attachment" the relationship is ruled by fear of loss and control..

The Mastery of Love taught me a lot about this and how to analyze my relationships. Is it love or attachment. I was in "attachment" and it was wrecking my life.

We can get attached to anything though. Our job, our homes, our cars etc.. I think it creates dependency and dependency can create anger..

Comment

Sometimes when I am stressed I just observe my Dog. There is no past, no future. He is fine with it if we live in a mansion or under a bridge. He doesn't care if he looks fat today or if he is going grey. He doesn't even care if it' rainy or sunny. He just "be's". we can learn a lot from our pets.

Comment

Like me I went from 180 - 160 pounds and I became obsessed about losing more and I became stressed about it. Today i looked at my calves and realize that I am seeing definition.I was too focused on my stomach and not even realizing that I have become more defined.I am taking it step by step and enjoying the changes happening in my body. Never get to attached to something even progress. For you will wreck yourself we you become attached to something no matter how good it is.

Also the thing about relationships is that you do not own the person. You are just in an agreement in which both of you live together with some other rules you have agreed upon. You are just helping each other in the journey called life.
              Current
              Length
              15/11/14
              BPFSL - 8 3/16 inch

15/11/14
              BPEL - 7 10/ 16 inch

Girth
              28/11/14
              MEG 5.5 inch

Goals
              NPEL 8.50 girth 6.00

EQ 10/10

Edging - 30 mins

Only doing Manual PE for devices are not an option at the moment.

Comment

Working...
              X