Help me design a simple exercise regimen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me design a simple exercise regimen

Good afternoon guys, I'm looking for some expertise in designing a simple exercise regimen that I can do at home in 10 or 15 minutes max. As you may or may not know, I do not have much time for anything in my life with a family and a very time consuming/stressful job, certainly not hour at a gym. Plus, honestly, I do not have the money to maintain any gym membership. Here's what I'm looking for - something that can be done in my home with minimal or no equipment. I'm preferably looking for something focused on strength building rather than aerobic/calorie burning because I already walk nearly 10 miles a day.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance
    Just a regular dick on a forum all about guys.

I do a little working out at home, for the same reasons, and will be curious of the answers given myself. I'm glad you asked this Steneo.

Right now I do some calisthenics (push-ups, planks/side planks, chair dips, cross crunches) and use some dumbbells, which are cheap and easily stored away (curls, rows, flies, presses).
    Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

Originally posted by workin_4_it View Post
      I do a little working out at home, for the same reasons, and will be curious of the answers given myself. I'm glad you asked this Steneo.

Right now I do some calisthenics (push-ups, planks/side planks, chair dips, cross crunches) and use some dumbbells, which are cheap and easily stored away (curls, rows, flies, presses).
      This is definitly on the right track for a quick home workout. Maybe try adding in some squats, lunges, and stiff leg dead lifts to target the posterior chain of the back, glutes and hamstring. If you have a place to do pull ups too.

Look into a TRX Trainer. A simple piece of equipment that will work you hard!

Comment

And try to change up the reps and weight about every three to four weeks.

Example: Each in 3 week blocks
        1-3 10 reps
        4-6 6 reps
        7-9 8 reps
        10-12 4 reps

Can go higher reps if you're wanting more of a cardio or endurance training. But this will help keep you from hitting a point and just not progressing anymore.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ErRoLfWKTU
          A real man never hurts a woman. The woman came out of a man’s rib, not from his feet to be walked on, and not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved. - Mrs. workin_4_it

Comment

Originally posted by Cptchewy View Post
            And try to change up the reps and weight about every three to four weeks.

Example: Each in 3 week blocks
            1-3 10 reps
            4-6 6 reps
            7-9 8 reps
            10-12 4 reps

Can go higher reps if you're wanting more of a cardio or endurance training. But this will help keep you from hitting a point and just not progressing anymore.
            Thanks, can I assume you are meaning upping weight simultaneously while decreasing reps?

Comment

Seems like a little simple equipment is desirable then? I looked up the TRX...do you guys think then that tension devices are better than a few dumbbells? Any exercises that any think are "must do" for a simple routine like what I'm trying to craft? I used to go to the gym and did lift weights for years so I'm not a total newb, but it's been a while...

Comment

+1!

In addition to these things I would include squats, squat and press, dumbbell rows, all with your dumbbells. In my opinion, the BEST single exercise you could do would be pull-ups! If you have any (sturdy) bars or something you can do them on, get going! If you only want to do 15 minutes a day, I would do an alternating upper body day and lower body day, and I would also do "super sets". These are exercise sets back-to-back, i.e. do your pull-ups and straight after you do your set, go into doing a set of push-ups. Do pull-ups and push-ups to failure, i.e. until you cannot do anymore in your set. This will get you in serious shape, even with only 15 minutes a day because you are doing it so explosively in the super-sets and because your routine never stagnates (remember you are doing your sets to failure so you should always be increasing the amount of reps you are able to do).

That is the upper body day, so you could do that every second day if you wanted to. And for the lower body, you can do calistethics, like what workin_4_it mentioned, so one of your core work exercises you like back-to-back with a leg exercise (the squat is BY FAR the best leg exercise there is) of your choice. Oh, you don't actually need dumbbells at all for your squats, just start with your own body weight and when you are comfortable with that, just get something heavy and hold it and do them.

So, Monday (push-up and pull-ups), Tuesday (squats and crunches), and so on All without having to spend a penny on machines or equipment.

If you only want to do 15 minutes, then you NEED to do a super-set type workout where you are exerting yourself or else you are pissing in the wind haha.

Originally posted by workin_4_it View Post

kickinthemebs
                Member of the Month Feb 2014
                Last edited by kickinthemebs; 01-03-2014, 02:34 PM.
                League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by Steneo View Post
                  Thanks, can I assume you are meaning upping weight simultaneously while decreasing reps?
                  Yep. Obviously if you don't have heavier weight then it would be tougher to go down as low as 4 but you can slide the scale up from say 6-12 or 8-14 reps instead of 4-10.

Comment

Originally posted by Steneo View Post
                    Seems like a little simple equipment is desirable then? I looked up the TRX...do you guys think then that tension devices are better than a few dumbbells? Any exercises that any think are "must do" for a simple routine like what I'm trying to craft? I used to go to the gym and did lift weights for years so I'm not a total newb, but it's been a while...

I think with some dumb bells and a trx you would have everything you need to do work in all direction of movement at home.

Another great exercise is dead lifts. Pick up and put down weights.

Comment

Steneo, you can do what I do. All you'd need is a horizontal bar for chin ups and *maybe* a basketball. You can use something else if you don't have a basketball, it's not a requirement.

I do 6 movements:
                      pushups
                      handstands
                      squats
                      chin ups
                      bridges
                      leg raises
                      With varying degrees of difficulty. You can choose 1 or 2 and give it your maximum effort.

OR

Go out and purchase an olympic weight lifting set with a barbell and do just 2 movements

dead lift
                      presses

Minus your calves, your whole body will be worked. You can do 2 sets of 5 reps and see great results. I'm not sure how much the weight set would cost, but you can look it up.
                      "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
                      Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
                      Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
                      As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Thanks Toad!

Comment

Steneo, truth be told - I'm not totally sure that 15 minutes is a reasonable enough time to give to your exercise.
                          Is it at all possible for you to reorganize some things and get an additional 15 minutes? Having 30 minutes of dedicated exercise will be much more effective for the results you'd like to gain.

I also want to extend an offer: I don't mind designing something for you to work for the next few weeks.
                          And feel free to join our calisthenics group, if you haven't already.
                          "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
                          Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
                          Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
                          As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Ye olde professor -

1. Take time to analyze where you are in terms of overall health.Do you have any issues/injuries that you carry? How is your joint health? How is your diet? How is your recovery ability? How much pain are you willing to tolerate when you are recovering?

2. What are your goals?
                            Cause I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite :boxing::aikido:

Got nine lives...used six already!! :angel:

Comment

Toad, I can do 30 minutes...I was mainly interested in keeping it at home and not excessivly long or expensive (because time really is a premium). Also, I think I'd have to be a fool to turn down that offer for a place to start. I can get some dumbbells and possibly a bar for chin ups if needed. I think there are bars you can install for home use...

Thanks so much for the offer, off to join that group

Comment

Working...
                              X