• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression

10 Natural Depression Treatments

By R. Morgan Griffin
    WebMD Feature

Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

Being depressed can make you feel helpless. You're not. Along with therapy and sometimes medication, there's a lot you can do on your own to fight back. Changing your behavior -- your physical activity, lifestyle, and even your way of thinking -- are all natural depression treatments.
    Do you want to learn natural depression treatments that can help you feel better -- starting right now? Here are some tips.

1. Get in a routine. If you’re depressed, you need a routine, says Ian Cook, MD, a psychiatrist and director of the Depression Research and Clinic Program at UCLA. Depression can strip away the structure from your life. One day melts into the next. Setting a gentle daily schedule can help you get back on track.
    2. Set goals. When you're depressed, you may feel like you can't accomplish anything. That makes you feel worse about yourself. To push back, set daily goals for yourself. "Start very small," says Cook. "Make your goal something that you can succeed at, like doing the dishes every other day." As you start to feel better, you can add more challenging daily goals.
    3. Exercise. Exercise temporarily boosts feel-good chemicals called endorphins. It may also have long-term benefits for people with depression. Regular physical activity seems to encourage the brain to rewire itself in positive ways, Cook says. How much exercise do you need? You don’t need to run marathons to get a benefit. Just walking a few times a week can help.
    4. Eat healthy. There is no magic diet that fixes depression, but watching what you eat is a good idea. If depression tends to make you overeat, getting in control of your eating will help you feel better. Although nothing is definitive, Cook says there's evidence that foods with omega-3 fatty acids -- such as salmon and tuna -- and folic acid -- such as spinach and avocado -- could help ease depression.
    5. Get enough sleep. Depression can make it hard to get enough sleep, and not getting enough sleep can make depression worse. What can you do? Start by making some changes to your lifestyle. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Try not to nap. Take all the distractions out of your bedroom -- no computer and no TV. In time, you may find your sleep improves.
    6. Take on responsibilities. When you’re depressed, you may want to pull back from life and give up your responsibilities at home and at work. Don't. Staying involved and having daily responsibilities can work as a natural depression treatment. They ground you and give you a sense of accomplishment. If you're not up to full-time school or work, that’s fine. Think about part-time. If that seems like too much, consider volunteer work.
    7. Challenge negative thoughts. In your fight against depression, a lot of the work is mental -- changing how you think. When you're depressed, you leap to the worst possible conclusions. The next time you're feeling terrible about yourself, use logic as a natural depression treatment. You might feel like no one likes you, but is there real evidence for that? You might feel like the most worthless person on the planet, but is that really likely? It takes practice, but in time you can beat back those negative thoughts before they get out of control.
    8. Check with your doctor before using supplements. "There's promising evidence for certain supplements for depression," says Cook, such as fish oil, folic acid, and SAMe. However, more research needs to be done before we'll know for sure. Always check with your doctor before starting any supplement, especially if you’re already taking medications.
    9. Do something new. When you’re depressed, you’re in a rut. Push yourself to do something different. Go to a museum. Pick up a used book and read it on a park bench. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Take a language class. "When we challenge ourselves to do something different, there are chemical changes in the brain," says Cook. "Trying something new alters the levels of dopamine, which is associated with pleasure, enjoyment, and learning."
    10. Try to have fun. If you’re depressed, make time for things you enjoy. What if nothing seems fun anymore? "That's just a symptom of depression," says Cook. You have to keep trying anyway.

As strange as it might sound, you have to work at having fun. Plan things you used to enjoy, even if they feel like a chore. Keep going to the movies. Keep going out with friends for dinner.

When you're depressed, you can lose the knack for enjoying life, Cook tells WebMD. You have to relearn how to do it. In time, fun things really will feel fun again.

Source.
    A real man never hurts a woman. The woman came out of a man’s rib, not from his feet to be walked on, and not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved. - Mrs. workin_4_it

I can't believe "avoid/minimise alcohol and drugs" is not on the list.
    League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

When I am depressed I come to the PE Gym. Here I can talk to people that make me laugh, teach me things, and sometimes hit on me, or is it hit me. Well it's one of those. Sometimes when you're depressed all you may need is a friend!
      The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Originally posted by kickinthemebs View Post
        It is, in another article that I will post soon.
        A real man never hurts a woman. The woman came out of a man’s rib, not from his feet to be walked on, and not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved. - Mrs. workin_4_it

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
          When I am depressed I come to the PE Gym. Here I can talk to people that make me laugh, teach me things, and sometimes hit on me, or is it hit me. Well it's one of those. Sometimes when you're depressed all you may need is a friend!
          Agreed!

Very well said!

Comment

I like the point that you have to keep doing things you used to enjoy, even if doing it is a hard time. Just keep going someday you will look back on it.
            "I will lick my dick"

Comment

Originally posted by watersnake View Post
              I like the point that you have to keep doing things you used to enjoy, even if doing it is a hard time. Just keep going someday you will look back on it.
              One sign/symptom/result of depression is that the person affected is unable to enjoy activities that are otherwise enjoyable.

Also this may be train the person to use their time and try to find joy in life so they wont spend their days digging deeper into the depression hole.

Comment

I used to just retreat into my cave until I felt like facing the world again, then I discovered Aikido, which made me immune to depression, but I stopped going when they tore down the building they taught in (no one was there at the time). Since then discovered boxing, while stress relieving and great for fitness, it doesn't have the same spiritual dimensions as Aikido, got to find another school (get off your butt burty and go find!!!).

Or like Cusp says come here, this place is definitely a well of positivity, helps me turn my frowns upside down anyway.

Come here often Mr Cusp??? Nearly 18,000 posts, I think so! But I expect lightening fingers to have caught up by the end of the month
                "Those who know others have knowledge,
                those who know themselves have insight.
                Those who master others have force,
                those who master themselves have strength". - Lao Tzu

Comment

Can't say that I agree with the suggestion that the article puts out there, but that is from my experiences in trying them.

Comment

I suffer from severe depression, but I live in a situation that will not allow the treatment to be effective
                    There is no knowledge that is not power

Quote from UMK3 on SNES

here's a couple funny videos enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuJ0ZW060s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU9-TKRkaUw

Comment

Originally posted by kickinthemebs View Post
                      Not sure about drugs cause I haven't tried anything harder than marijuana, but alcohol can be a "deppresant" otherwsie it is a good outlet for people to get out have a good time and socialize

In other words don't drink alone

Quote from UMK3 on SNES

Comment

Originally posted by fordzilla View Post
                        I suffer from severe depression, but I live in a situation that will not allow the treatment to be effective
                        Frequent us here more often Ford.

Comment

I would strongly disagree with you here. As someone who was/is a drug-addict and alcoholic, and also someone who suffers from depression, alcohol always amplifies depression. While it "may" allow you to feel more social and confident for the brief time that you are intoxicated, the long-lasting "crash" afterwards really exacerbates depression.

I have known many many people, both people with and without depression, that have awful effects from alcohol days and weeks after a heavy session. Fear, paranoia, sadness, guilt, embarrassment, blackouts, getting in trouble with the law, getting in trouble with your family and friends, making you worry about your financial situations. I could go on about this topic all day, but I have to get back to work

Originally posted by fordzilla View Post
                          Not sure about drugs cause I haven't tried anything harder than marijuana, but alcohol can be a "deppresant" otherwsie it is a good outlet for people to get out have a good time and socialize

In other words don't drink alone
                          kickinthemebs
                          Member of the Month Feb 2014
                          Last edited by kickinthemebs; 05-07-2014, 07:13 AM.
                          League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

Originally posted by MrB8 View Post
                            Frequent us here more often Ford.
                            will do

Quote from UMK3 on SNES

Comment

Working...
                            X