Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some Recommendations

(1) A good Whey Protein (brand maybe)

(2) On a scale of 1-10 (1 being pointless and 10 being absolutely vital) - Do I need to take Creatine?

(3) Should I do a total body workout or split?

I hate going to the college gyms because I'm small and tiny and so unimpressive. It's scary for me because UF has some of the biggest fucking athletes in existence in there training. I know they don't judge, but I have severe insecurity issues with my size and even though I would be able to train judgment free, I still would feel so threatened and pathetic, I probably wouldn't train well. I know I have SERIOUS work to do with my insecurities, but for now, it is safe to say they will remain as much a part of me as my left arm.

So, my plan: I have equipment. I have adjustable dumbbells (from Bowflex) that I bought over the summer. They still look pretty new, come to think of it. I wonder why? Hmm, maybe I'm lazy ? Anyway, they can crank up to 90 pounds. That's one heavy fucking dumbbell. I'm quite sure I can get a good workout using these. I have a bench as well. In fact, most of the athletes I have seen working in the gym bench press with dumbbells anyway. I guess it's harder? Squatting sucks with dumbbells and I love to do squats.

(4) Can I get a legitimate workout with these? I hate doing barbell exercises. They suck, sweaty ass (sorry, just my opinion). Additionally, I have to go back to the scary gym to use them since all I have is an EZ Curl bar. But with limited weights.

(5) I've been lifting heavy with them, doing 5-7 reps for 4-5 sets. I get my ass kicked pretty good. Is that sufficient?

Right now, I've been doing total body. I basically just do bench, squat, and deadlifts (MWF). I do my ab work on TTHSa. Sometimes I throw in some curls and skullcrushers. I keep getting told to keep it simple for awhile since my body isn't really used to it.

Goals: Right now, I'm a pretty lean bugger. I'm probably between 5'7" and 5'8". I only weigh roughly 130 pounds. I'd love to get to 140. See, I have simple goals. I love being thin and I don't want to bulk up to be a monster. It's just not me. I like my slim physique. I just want a little muscle on it. I eat clean and with a good amount of calories, protein, and carbs. Very little fat. I probably need to see a nutritionist.

Suggestions, please? THANKS!

Hey gator:

Dude, don't worry about your size, it'll come. You're what? 19, 20? Maybe a little older?? In any event, I remember the days when I was 19. I had a 28" waist line and I'm lucky if I weighed 140 on a good day. I was a bean pole.

In any event, I used to use this whey protein from Costco (I assume you have them in FL). I can't for the life of me think of the brand name but I used it religiously for years and bulked up nicely. I know bulking up if not what you want but it will none the less add some meat to you.

Since you're new to weight lifting, I would absolutely keep this simple until your body adjusts to weight training. Don't overdo as you're likely to get very sore.

Doing squats, chest, arms, etc... with dumb bells is just as effective as the barbell. Alot of that stuff just depends on personal preference. For me, I prefer to squat using the barbell but that's me. The dumb bell squats burn the shit out of my legs and I HATE that burning feel, even though I know it's good for you.

I would stay away from cardio for the time being if putting some meat on your bones is your ultimate goal. Depending on the weight you use, I wouldn't do any more than 4 sets of any one exercise. If getting good muscle definition is your main goal, doing lighter weights with more reps is ideal. If you want to bulk up a tad, more weight with less reps is the ideal. Splitting your workouts during the day is fine, or you can just do your workout at once. I wouldn't spend more than 45 min. to an hour weight training.

Let me know if I've missed anything. Good luck buddy.
    It's a tough job being good looking and hung :-)

Comment

Gator im a 46 year old fuck. For months all i did was work out with dumbells. Currently i weigh 195 lbs and i wea 34" jeans that fit rather loosely. Shoulders are 54", chest 46" thighs 23". I gained 10 pounds of muscle and yet my pants fit looser. Right now im using machines because i lazy as hell. but plan to return to the dumbells in Febrary. Im only 5' 9".

Stay with the natural whey proteins and weight gainers. Walmart sells a new natural whey free of soy and sucrolose. For 10$ for a two week supply. Infact im going to whhip me up a big one in a few minutes.

Yet im smaller than some of the dudes in the gym. I knew i had a bigger dick they all do so it was not issue with me. But shit those power lifters can be intimidating but if you befriend one o them they would perhaps be more than happy to take you under his wing. I learned a lot from some of these big guys.

Don't be afraid!

By the way i got a lot of good advice from Pegesus.

For I will restore health unto thee and I will heal thee of thine wounds, saith the Lord Jeremiah 30:17

Comment

Thanks guys. Rep points to you both!

Creatine guys? Necessary?

Comment

Creatine helps some people, but is not necessary.
          If you are gaining from what you are doing, then keep going, if not post again.

Comment

Depending on your goals...

I shot you a PM. Hit me back when you get a chance.

1. Whey Protein should only be used when you can't get sufficient protein (to maintain a positive nitrogen balance) in your diet. Some great brands that I trust (I used to work in the Supplement industry)... Optimum Nutrition, American Whey, Dymatize, Universal (expensive though), Gaspari, Xtreme Formulations (REALLY AWESOME FLAVORINGS!!!!.. I love the Ultra Peptide Whey 1.0 casein proteins)... to name a few. I used to work for Anabolic Innovations.. which at one point catered to the more advanced bodybuilder... and then Beast Sports Nutrition (good company, imo). Just don't have the time with pursuing my career/degrees to continue volunteering my efforts for free product and minimal pay. heh

2. Creatine Monohydrate + a glucose polymer drink (any juice is fine) = money shot! Supplementing creatine has been proven time and time again to increase your ability to recover from high intensity bouts of exercise thus allowing you to perform at a maximum or near max capacity "more times"...

3. Don't do 'total body'... IMO. If you're more experienced, you can seperate muscle groups.. go into push-pulls... pull-pull.. push-push days... OR you can do Upper, Lower, Upper, Lower splits.

How extensive is your weight training background?
            Dante311
            Last edited by Dante311; 01-08-2010, 07:49 AM.
            A Bigger Beginning w/ Dante311 - Log
            NEW LOG!

May '15 - 6.9" BP
            GOAL - 7.5 BP

Comment

Originally posted by bananaboat11 View Post
              Depending on your goals...

I shot you a PM. Hit me back when you get a chance.

1. Whey Protein should only be used when you can't get sufficient protein (to maintain a positive nitrogen balance) in your diet. Some great brands that I trust (I used to work in the Supplement industry)... Optimum Nutrition, American Whey, Dymatize, Universal (expensive though), Gaspari, Xtreme Formulations (REALLY AWESOME FLAVORINGS!!!!.. I love the Ultra Peptide Whey 1.0 casein proteins)... to name a few. I used to work for Anabolic Innovations.. which at one point catered to the more advanced bodybuilder... and then Beast Sports Nutrition (good company, imo). Just don't have the time with pursuing my career/degrees to continue volunteering my efforts for free product and minimal pay. heh

2. Creatine Monohydrate + a glucose polymer drink (any juice is fine) = money shot! Supplementing creatine has been proven time and time again to increase your ability to recover from high intensity bouts of exercise thus allowing you to perform at a maximum or near max capacity "more times"...

3. Don't do 'total body'... IMO. If you're more experienced, you can seperate muscle groups.. go into push-pulls... pull-pull.. push-push days... OR you can do Upper, Lower, Upper, Lower splits.

How extensive is your weight training background?
              Thanks banana! My background is not extensive at all. I'm definitely a newb.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                If you are gaining from what you are doing, then keep going, if not post again.
                I'll let you know in a month or two if what I'm doing is working

Comment

Recommendations

Hi gator,Those dumbbells do wonders.I used them when training ,doing at most 45 lbs. Also did yoga for years .
                  I didn't get bulked, but got really strong. Like I could climb rope overhand , when I couldn't do it in school.
                  I'm like you ,I'd rather be limber and trim and not bulked out.
                  banana has good info on whey. I used it while training my body. It really helped.
                  maelsukr
                  Retired Moderator
                  PEGym Editor
                  PEGym Hero
                  Last edited by maelsukr; 01-08-2010, 11:43 AM.

Stretching my Friend in 3 dimensions.

Comment

I recommend ON Whey Protein but I do not recommend Cookies and Cream, as most whey brands this flavor is not well liked by most. For the most part most whey's are pretty similar in quality of protein. Check the amino acid profiles on the back label and compare.

Creatine helps, some people look at it as an end all supplement but it really is not going to be hugely significant in your training. If you don't mind shelling out the cash, then take it. After you workout and right when you wake up is when it should be taken. As this is where your cellular uptake peaks.

I would only reccomend doing a full body work out routine maybe the first few weeks if you need it to build a foundation of strength but starting off with a split will do fine. Make sure you get rest days in either way. Splits are generally better. Do yourself a favor and check out my thread in this sub-forum.

Don't worry about being small, everyone starts somewhere and no one, NO ONE will think badly of you or make fun of you in the gym. Just hit the weights hard, with the right attitude, dedication, knowledge and planning and you will grow.

Fuck the bowflex, hit the gym, do the big lifts deadlifts, squats, cleans, and bench press. Bowflex really won't do much for you. Using the dumbells is fine, but the gym will offer you much more equipment and benches. Are we talking about 90 lbs in each hand? But you need barbells for things like squats and deadlifts, but I highly recommend dumbell presess as it utilizes more stabalizer muscles and challenges you. Yes you can do different variations of squats and split squats with dumbells but don't kid yourself get out to a real gym with real racks and benches. Hit the free weights, machines are only good for some things like leg presses, calf raises on leg press machine, pulldowns, etc.

The bottomline of weightlifting is diet. Remember supplements are only SUPPLEMENTS to a great diet. Diet is most important, to get big you need to eat big, and to get the most nutritionally dense foods into your caloric intake to be as strong as you can, you need to EAT RIGHT.
                    O.G.
                    Last edited by O.G.; 01-09-2010, 09:34 AM.

Comment

hows things gator try these sites
                      www.discountsuppliments.com
                      www.superfit.com
                      in my opinion protien creatine gluteamine good diet and rest are most important
                      29/12/09 ....23/1/10......6/3/10......12/5/10

BPEL-6" .....BPEL-61/4"..BPEL-6.5"...BPEL-63/4"
                      EG-43/4".....EG-5"........EG-51/4"....EG-5.5"
                      NBPEL-53/4"

SHORT TERM GOAL

BPEL-7"
                      EG-5.25"

LONG TERM GOAL

BPEL-8"
                      EG-6"

Comment

I see og has presumed you want to get big, even though you specifically said you didn't.
                        This is an important point ifyou do go to a gym you may have to be very clear and repetitive about your goals.

Comment

I love how people are like "I don't want to get freakishly big or "bodybuilder" big." You're not going to get huge.

The goals you set align perfectly with what I said, and what I covered is going to get you there the fastest. If you work out and shove crap into your mouth and eat in the quantities and frequencies of a bitch you're not going to get stronger let alone bigger. OP stated he was a 'lean bugger' the main reason he posted this was because of his insecurities and his desire to do something about it. I'm glad he recognized something he wanted to change and is trying to put forth the effort to change it.
                          O.G.
                          Last edited by O.G.; 01-09-2010, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I appreciate all of the advice I'm getting guys - from ALL of you.

Comment

Working...
                            X