Private Dick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Dick

He took long strides as he made his way down the alley. A cool, damp night was the gift of the season. Puddles formed at the base of the buildings on either side, collecting the leftover rain that fell from the eaves. A good daily rain was typical this time of year. Or several, as it were.

The only feature there was to draw the eye away from the dimly lit corridor was an old dumpster covered in graffiti. A steel trap for unwanted items and vermin. "Lovely", he thought to himself.

His eyes found his target. A drop ladder just out of reach, leading to the building above. A hard pull on the dangling rope let it loose with an ear piecing screech. He climbed up, his hands finding the steel rungs they had known for five years now. Cold, wet...familiar.

He made his way up the flights of stairs, passing the dark and empty windows of the people who lived below him. He didn't know them, and didn't care to. That's why he took the back way in. The front might mean running into them, and the painful, inevitable risk of greetings and small talk. No thanks, the slippery stairs are a much safer bet.

Six flights later, at the top, he opened his window and slid in. Flicking on the nearby light, his drab little apartment welcomed him. A room with not only a dusty old recliner, a rickety chair, but also a makeshift table of plywood and stacked up milk crates liberated from the corner store. It always made him laugh. The idea of "freeing" milk crates, to serve a better life as a coffee table.

He took off his long coat, and threw it over the chair, closely followed by the brimmed hat. It was his badge, the only required uniform item of a private investigator. He thought so, at least. He put his gun on the table, and made his way to the kitchen.

Now the kitchen, his favorite room, was loaded with the essentials. A coffee maker, some cups, and a half empty bottle of whiskey. He held it up to the light, as if to judge it's numbing ability.

He spoke to the bottle fondly, like it could return the warmth. "Hello old friend. How are we this evening? Feel like a little talk about nothin'?"

A couple ice cubes from the freezer clanked into the once empty glass, dancing around for a moment before settling at the bottom. He poured the warm, strong liquor over the ice, causing it to crackle and pop.

He felt the glass cool as he swished the drink around. Then slowly taking a small sip to test the temperature, before finishing off the glass in one gulp. Even chilled, the drink burned all the way down to his stomach. He poured another, and repeated the same motion. Only on his third cup did he allow the whiskey to become familiar with it's temporary captor.

The two of them, the whiskey and the weary investigator, both made their way to the recliner. As he slouched down into it, his eyes closed and he tried to let the day slip away from him. A deep breath helped, and he began to relax, feeling the alcohol start to have it's calming effect.

Just as he was about to lift his glass for another dose, the phone rang. He jumped, and the glass hit the floor. The ice and it's cold partner spilled across the hardwood. The glass was intact, but the disappointment on his face showed no sign of noticing.

The phone rang again. Almost louder it seemed. "DAMNIT!"

He snatched the phone off the cradle, and curtly let out a "Whaaat..."

"Hey baby, why so glum?" The feminine voice almost seemed to whisper the words, and in a moments time his whole mood shifted......
    Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Part II, part II, part II!!!!
    A real man never hurts a woman. The woman came out of a man’s rib, not from his feet to be walked on, and not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved. - Mrs. workin_4_it

Comment

You have fans Mr workin_4_it!
      "Those who know others have knowledge,
      those who know themselves have insight.
      Those who master others have force,
      those who master themselves have strength". - Lao Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by workin_4_it View Post
        He took long strides as he made his way down the alley. A cool, damp night was the gift of the season. Puddles formed at the base of the buildings on either side, collecting the leftover rain that fell from the eaves. A good daily rain was typical this time of year. Or several, as it were....
        ^^^^

Awesome! More of this please...
        "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

ATP's Routine
        ATP's Success Story

Comment

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Well, guess that answers if I should write more....

Comment

Nice Workin'.....umm, get to workin' on mooooorrrre
            Be a reflection of what you'd like to see in others.
            If you want love, give love.
            If you want honesty, give honesty.
            If you want respect, give respect.
            You get in return, what you give.

Comment

Waste of damn good whiskey, if you ask me.

You leave us hangin, cousin Vito be comin up those stairs to pay yous a visit.

I've got a Tiger by the tail.

Comment

Well, lets say I was motivated. LOL.

Part II

“Oh..uhh..hey Jen.” He chuckled sheepishly, feeling a bit like a fool. “Nothin' serious, just a rough day. Feeling a bit better now though.”

“Aww, you poor, poor thing.” She pouted, her pity almost believable. “You know Alex, sometimes rough isn't such a bad thing. Some people actually prefer it.”

A sly smile started to cross his lips. She was playing, and they both knew what game.

“Is that so Jen? Well, when I see people get rough, they usually end up in cuffs. Now, who would want that? Doesn't sound like much fun, does it?”

“Mmmm” Jen purred. “I'm not so sure. Guess they'd have to get caught to find out.”

Alex laughed. “Ms. Jen, I do believe you are questioning my ability. I always catch what I'm after.”

There it was. She had him, hook, line, and sinker. “Mmm-hmmm, promises, promises. ...prove it...” and the phone clicked in his ear as she hung up.

His grin was now ear to ear, and he shook his head as he returned the phone to it's cradle. A look of seriousness washed over his face, and his head slowly rose.

“I need to shower.” He said out loud, only half to himself.

He turned on his heel, and jumped towards the back of the apartment where the bathroom was. Completely forgetting about his spilled drink. It could have been the glass, or maybe the ice cubes, but something took his feet right out from under him. He landed squarely on his back, staring wide eyed with shock at the dingy ceiling.

It started as a slow chuckle, and turned into a howling laugh. He couldn't help it. Only a few moments ago,it was the very cause of his upset. And now, quick karma had exacted it's revenge, and taught him a lesson in humility. Or maybe humiliation.

He lifted himself off the floor, and placed the glass on the table. Ignoring the puddle of liquid, he continued on his task. No time for clean up, he thought. I have more pressing matters.

He quickly showered, putting on a fresh pair of black slacks and a blue button down shirt. No tie, it wasn't work. He never found them comfortable anyway. Shooting a quick glance in the mirror, he decided that he was a decent looking man. The scruffy shadow that was born from his shave this morning added to his already gruff looks. He combed his hair with his fingers, and threw on his coat. He thought about leaving his gun, but recent break-ins around the area made him place the holster on his hip, where it was most of the time anyway. The hat and the whiskey would have to fend for themselves.

He went out the front door, and passed through the narrow halls quickly as he could. Anyone who gave him a glance was met with a rather stern expression. It was his first and last defense against interaction. Most would see the scowl, and simply look away. Most anyway...not Jen though. A smile almost broke through, but he pushed it down.

He left the building, and made his way down the dark street. Most of the street lights were burned out, and the ones that did work flickered on and off. There were empty bottles and newspaper pages from days gone past rolling over the sidewalks like urban tumbleweeds.

He found his car on the next street, parked much too far from the curb, and fished his keys out from his coat pocket. The old town car wasn't much to look at, with it's faded black paint and worn tires. But inside is what counted. Not the cracked leather seats, of a color that no one should ever had made. Or the missing pieces and broken stereo. No, it was the reliable, stubborn heart of gold that gave the car it's soul. A determination to keep on going long after it should have given in. He liked this car, and it had never let him down.

He slid into the seat and pushed the keys into the ignition in one swift move, without looking. A habit formed over years of bonding. The engine fired without hesitation, the lights painted the road in an eerie yellow glow, and he pulled away from the curb, heading towards her office. He knew that's where she would be. Her favorite backdrop for their meetings.

Without the distraction of a radio, he let his mind wander to thoughts of the long day, eventually settling on Jen. What she saw in him, he didn't know, but he was sure glad she did. His affection for her was more than he would admit, even to himself, but he would say he liked her. But the smile that broke his tough exterior every time he thought of her gave him away to anyone that noticed. No one dared to say if they did.

He snaked through the city streets and stoplights. Neon signs and broken down buildings resting on uneven ground, slowly gave way to brass building numbers and new brick perched atop neatly formed concrete. Her office wasn't actually too far, but it was worlds apart. Both literally and figuratively, on the other side of the tracks. It was amazing he thought. Puddles didn't even exist over here, every bit of water drained swiftly away.

He parked in front of the white office building, with it's two ever watchful guardians. He never understood the appeal of the bronze lions pawing at the air, as if immortalized mid way in swiping at some unknown enemy. He grabbed the handcuffs from the glove box, always there just in case, but never needed, and put them in his coat pocket. Sliding out from his seat, he approached the doorman.

“Evening Sir.” The man spoke almost with an accent, eyes straight ahead as he opened the door.

Alex nodded his head, and returned the greeting as he passed through. “Evening Barry.”

He liked the doorman, though he had never really got to know him. Simple, straight forward, and concise. Not much talk, but that's exactly what Alex liked about him. Without ever acknowledging it, Barry understood.

He made his way to the elevator, passing a man in a hat and black coat much like his own, staring intently at the floor as he walked, hands in his pockets. He readied his scowl, but the man never looked up. I must be getting better at this, he thought to himself. He pushed the smooth button, waiting for the shiny steel doors resembling two mirrors to open. How did they keep it so clean, he wondered. With a faint ding, the doors opened silently, and he entered apprehensively.

It was like a fun house room, full of mirrors. He didn't even want to touch the button, but there was no other way to get to her floor. Carefully, with just a fingertip, he tapped the button that he wanted, and stood motionless as the doors closed and the sterile operating room of an elevator started to rise. He felt the anticipation in his stomach start to rise with it.

When the doors opened again, he entered the bright hallway, and moved across the light gray tile. He passed several dark windows, their lights dim and unneeded with the departure of their residents. A couple doors down, the faint, soft glow of a desk lamp shown through one of the heavily frosted door windows. Good, she was here. He tapped on the glass with his knuckles before turning the handle, and slowing pushing the door open.

And there she was. Half sitting on her mahogany desk, leaning back. The light from the lamp behind her cast a glow about her like she was angelic. Just slightly shorter than him, even with the mid high heels on. The black dress she wore, with a slit up the side of the leg, hugged her hourglass figure, accenting every curve and valley of her beautiful body. Her dark chocolate colored hair fell over her shoulders, with a few waves caressing her face.

He stopped cold in his tracks. God she was sexy. He hadn't even noticed his jaw had fallen wide open, stunned from her beauty, unable to stay in it's proper place.

“Oh my” she said playfully, holding her hand up to cover her mouth in feigned worry. “Looks like I've been caught. Whatever will I do.” Her hand lowered to reveal a smirk, and her eyebrows cocked in that little devilish way.

Her words brought him back to earth, and he closed the door behind him, eyes never leaving hers. “Well, I can tell you what you're not going to be doing.” He said firmly, almost serious, playing the part. “And that's getting away. No Ms. Jen, you are a flight risk. And we must take precautions so that doesn't happen.”

He pulled the handcuffs out from his pocket, and threw his coat over the nearby chair, which was usually used to holding clientele. He approached her, and she stood up, facing him squarely. He leaned in as to kiss her, and watched for her eyes to close. When they did, he grabbed her and spun her around, pressing her forward over the desk and spreading her hands. She gasped a little, but a smile began on her lips.

He grabbed her wrists, and pulled them behind her gently, clicking the cuffs on her one at a time. She leaned her head back, laying on his shoulder, and nuzzled his neck. His hands found her shoulders, and slowly slid down the sides of her body, tracing it with his fingertips. Their lips met in a fiery kiss, and his hands continued to map her body.

As their embrace grew closer, bodies pressing against each other, his hand came to the part in her dress over her thigh. He slid his hand inside, and found the little satin strip of her garter. It was holding the lacy tops of her thigh highs, and his skilled hand released it with a snap of his fingers.

It took a moment for his brain to register that it shouldn't have been that loud. Garters don't make that sound when released. It was almost like someone entering a door abruptly. All of a sudden, it hit him. His foggy mind, awash in passion, cleared in an instant. In one motion, he pushed Jen forward and wheeled around, just in time to hear the loud bang, and everything went black......
                Last edited by BigO; 08-28-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Bravo!

Very well written, almost feels like living it, kudos!!!
                  A real man never hurts a woman. The woman came out of a man’s rib, not from his feet to be walked on, and not from his head to be superior, but from his side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved. - Mrs. workin_4_it

Comment

I had to check it wasn't my car he was driving, nope it's still there!

Do we have to wait for tomorrow for part 3 ?
                    "Those who know others have knowledge,
                    those who know themselves have insight.
                    Those who master others have force,
                    those who master themselves have strength". - Lao Tzu

Comment

Thanks MrB8 .

LOL. Well Burty, seems how I literally finished it and put it up, I would have to say yes, a day or two. My fingers are cramping.

But I'm flattered by the interest, so thanks everyone again.

Comment

Originally posted by MrB8 View Post

Bravo!

Very well written, almost feels like living it, kudos!!!
                        +1 I think you may have a new calling W4I!

Comment

Part I
                          Part II

Part III

He was weightless. Floating. Adrift in a sea of darkness, with nothing around him to center himself. Just...nothing. And yet, it was everywhere.

Small things would come to him in flashes. Not anything tangible. Just thoughts, feelings. Creations of the mind, and memories of the senses unique to themselves.

He remembered the smell of the fresh baked bread that would waft through the air.

The rush of the cold river water on his skin.

He could taste the sweet bite of real lemonade.

He could smell perfume...so familiar.

Beep.....

He could feel the sun from a hot summer day.

The smell of fresh cut grass.

The way her hair felt in his hands.

Beep...beep...beep....

The softness of her skin against his.

The look in her eyes.

Her smile....

Beep...beep...beep.....beep...

Slowly, the blackness pulled away. It was fighting, digging it's claws in and trying to remain. But he had found a beacon. And with it came a focus. A reason. And that washed away the empty like a tidal wave, breaking it's grip and weakening it's hold.

He opened his eyes, blinking against the bright lights overhead. It took a few moments for his eyes to adjust, and he peered around. A hospital room. Why was he in a hospital room? He looked down at himself, laying there. Tubes and wires were attached everywhere, and connected him to various boxes with flashing lights and beeping sounds. “What the hell?” he thought. “Did I have a car accident? Maybe on my way home from work? Or maybe it was at work. Wait...did I get hurt at work?”

As he sorted through the fragments of his memory, and it came to solid formation, the heart monitor beeped faster. And as that last moment played back in his head, the pain in his shoulder became real, and he jerked upright in his bed. “JEN!!”

All at once several nurses came rushing in, bursting through the door. They surrounded the gurney he was laying on and started proficiently tending to various things. An injection in his IV, blood pressure checked, a flashlight in his eyes, and pressing buttons on the odd boxes. He tried to sit up further, but the nurses wouldn't let him, pushing him back down in to the laying position. He struggled, but between his weakened state, and the hand on his searing shoulder, he gave in and relaxed. They let go, and quickly went about their tasks, telling him to just take it easy, that everything would be alright. “Yeah, feels alright.” he said roughly and smirked.

The nurses finished and left, and he laid there motionless for what seemed like an eternity. The constant clicking of the clock, and the beeping nearly drove him insane. His mind replayed those last few moments before the blackness came, over and over. Once the memory came back to life, there was no quieting it. It was very vivid in his mind, playing out in slow motion behind his eyes, and on a loop.

His hand on Jen's leg. The transition from the fabric of her dress, to the soft skin of her thigh. Then to the smooth strap and the firm tab that held the thigh highs.

The clicking of the handle, and the immediate thud from the door being flung open. His heart racing, half from Jen, and half from the surprise intruder.

The shadow in the doorway, only an outline. Then the loud crack through the air, piercing his ears, and apparently his left shoulder. And then...nothing.

He looked down at his wound, hidden by bandages and tape. Still, he could see it was only inches from his heart. Maybe luck. Or maybe not.

A bit of movement outside his room's window caught his eye. One of the nurses who had just exited the room was conversing with a bearded man in a white coat. The doctor, he guessed. The nurse looked concerned, and her talking was animated, with hands and arms moving around. Her head cocked side to side.

Alex wasn't sure if she was trying to make the point, or understand it. But the doc was motionless, gaze fixed and steady, and spoke few words. She dropped her hands in surrender, and turned her gaze to him. In an instant, he became uneasy, and his heart sank. “What is this all about?” he spoke under his breath.

She looked back at the Doctor, he nodded, turned and walked away. She lowered her gaze to the floor, and slowly made her way back into the room. Alex's eyes and their practiced cold hard stare never left her, waiting for the reveal. She noticed the glare, and picked up the clipboard with his info to give herself a moment.

By the time she spoke, you could hear a pin drop. “Listen Mr. McCra....”

“Alex is fine.” He interrupted coldly.

“Ahem” She cleared her throat before speaking again. “Okay, Alex, there's something I need to talk to you about.” She paused, and looked at him with sympathetic eyes.

“Well, we've started then, haven't we. What next?” His stern reply caught her off guard, and took her back a bit. He was getting impatient, and hated small talk. Damn it, out with it already.

She figured she would just be direct, and get this over with. “Alex, you were shot. Once, and in the shoulder.” She nodded to his bandages. “It was a while before the medics reached you, and you lost a lot of blood. You've been here recovering for almost two weeks. A miracle you survived, really.” She gave a faint smile. His eyebrow rose, ushering her on. “But the police didn't catch the shooter. They don't know who it was. And when you're feeling a bit better, they will want to talk to you. If you have any information that may help...”

“I don't.” Another short reply.

“Okay. But...there's something else.”

Here it is, he thought. What, a permanent arm injury? A piece of the bullet still in there? Arthritis...migraines...constipation. What!?!

“The lady you were with the evening you were shot....” His face became tensely serious. “She...didn't make it Alex. I'm sorry.” She stopped and waited for his face to change. Some indication he heard her. It didn't. “The bullet went right through your shoulder Alex, and...well, she was right behind you...” She paused, but again, no change, his eyes hard as steel. She placed a hand on his arm. “I'm sorry Alex.” She removed her hand slowly, got up, and walked out. Her footsteps seemed to echo, the room suddenly empty. She turned to him once more with sorrowful eyes before finally passing through the door, and closing it softly behind her.

His face never changed, not one bit. It was all he could do to hide the devastation washing over him inside. The hard exterior masked the crumbling inside, the knot in his stomach that made him feel like vomiting. The tearing, and ripping that reached into his very soul. The pain in his shoulder was forgotten, and nothing compared to the ache in his chest.

Another week passed slowly. The cold, sterile hospital matched his mood. He didn't even eat the first day, but habit set in, and he went through the motions. He shoveled tasteless food into his mouth robotically, even when the officers stopped by to gather their information. He knew nothing they didn't already. And if they knew more, they kept it to themselves. He understood. PI's like himself were seen as competition. Second rate at that, and drunks. They had half of it right anyway.

It was time wasted. A couple hours spent repeatedly going over the same thing. Shiny polished shoes and belts, pressed shirts, matching gray coats and banded hats. All for what. Just a fancy clown suit, as far as he was concerned. They closed their notepads, and gave a look to each other like they were more interested in finding the bottom of a coffee cup.

But the talk did do something unexpected. Their lackluster approach ignited a spark in Alex. He didn't care that he was shot. Hell, it could be any number of angry old clients, spouses, bosses, or God knows who, and for any multitude of reasons. His time in this business hadn't made him very many friends.

Even if they weren't motivated to find the killer, he was. He wanted to know. Who held the gun...squeezed that trigger...and sent that bullet flying towards Jen. Who took her from him.

Slowly, as his day of release drew close, his experience kicked in and took over, and his new found obsession gave him purpose. A focal point. To find and bring to justice the person responsible. He would, even if it takes everything he has. His mind was working constantly. Searching, planning, figuring it out. Taking the most subtle clues, and turning them into valuable leads. But he was limited in here, and couldn't wait to get out. To get moving, and make real progress.

The day of his release, he almost ran out. Throwing on his old clothes, bullet hole, bloody and all, and barely stopping to sign the release papers. His holster was empty, his gun gone. The officers has failed to mention that part. Probably confiscated as evidence. He would need to replace that...and soon.

More rain and a dark sky greeted him, though he didn't even think much of it. In this city, he was used to it. A waiting taxi took him to his humble dwelling, and he made his way up through the dreaded hallways. The shoulder was still too sore to allow for his usual entry. Didn't matter. The other people might as well be invisible. He didn't see them, even if they were there.

Opening the door to his apartment, the usual sight greeted him, and gave him a sigh of relief. He set down his coat, and noticed the glass on the table. He smirked, and made his way to the kitchen for his ritualistic drink. He eyed the amber liquid intently.

“Any words of wisdom today?” He asked the bottle. As if he had received an answer, he nodded. Instead of grabbing a glass like usual, he uncapped the bottle, and drank deeply. After gulping down what was left, he reached into the cupboard, and grabbed another bottle of whiskey. He always had another waiting. It too was uncapped, and he took several gulps from it.

He slumped down in his chair, and stared out the window, sipping on the bottle of pain relief. His eyes caught the phone, and the last call with Jen came back to him. His brow dropped, and he tried to wash away the memory with several more gulps.

Whether it was the finality brought to light by being home, or the whiskey weakening his defense, the pain hit him. Hard. And every time he felt a twinge of breaking down, he would counter it with a few more drinks. Eventually, he either won, or lost the battle, and passed out in his chair. The bottle, now half empty, fell to the floor.....
                          Last edited by BigO; 10-09-2014, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X