US newscasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US newscasters

Has anyone in the US noticed that TV anchors all have a midwest accent? Ive been all over the Country. I was in New York and was expecting to hear news anchors with east coast accents. Nope. Sounded just like me. I was in Texas and expected a Southern accent. Nope. Even on all the morning talk shows. Its like there is a universal way to talk when on tv. Maybe its just me.
    Start 3.16.15 - 7bpel, 6bpel, 5meg

Current 1.19.16 - 7.85bpel, 6.6nbpel, 5.3meg

Goal 1.19.17 - 8.5bpel, 7.5nbpel, 5.75meg

It's you.
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Nope! Courses are taught in broadcast journalism to train anchors & reporters to have "NO ACCENT", so that regional influences in dialect don't impact their careers negatively as they move to larger cities that pay more. Schools target Nebraska, Iowa & to a lesser degree Kansas, where their's very little regional dialect in the population, to "copy" their speech patterns.

Comment

I live in Texas and all of the TV anchors have either a southern or Spanish accent. It's not noticeable unless you spend enough time in the region to recognize the accents.
        TheGreatDivider
        Member of the Month Dec 2015
        Last edited by TheGreatDivider; 08-23-2016, 08:56 AM.
        Sex is the great leveler, taste the great divider. - Pauline Kael

Comment

Originally posted by jockinthebox View Post
          Nope! Courses are taught in broadcast journalism to train anchors & reporters to have "NO ACCENT", so that regional influences in dialect don't impact their careers negatively as they move to larger cities that pay more. Schools target Nebraska, Iowa & to a lesser degree Kansas, where their's very little regional dialect in the population, to "copy" their speech patterns.
          That would make total sense. Its nothing personal, but I really don't want to listen to the Southern drawl when watching TV. Maybe in the smaller local regions they might have more accents, but the bigger cities like Dallas or Boston seem to have people with no accent. I'm from Illinois and we speak midwest, or in my opinion no accent. I guess what I mean is that I believe like Jock said, they seem to have developed a universal accent off us midwesterners. Also people in Cali, Colorado and other places really don't have accents. Just the South and North East mostly.

Hmmmm, must be a slow news day. Lol

Comment

Honestly, the primary 2 states targeted in broadcast journalism are #1 Nebraska & #2 Iowa..."YOUZ GUYZ" in Illinois gotta "accent" too, mizzle!...just sayin'....

Comment

Originally posted by jockinthebox View Post
              Honestly, the primary 2 states targeted in broadcast journalism are #1 Nebraska & #2 Iowa..."YOUZ GUYZ" in Illinois gotta "accent" too, mizzle!...just sayin'....
              Thats just the South Side Italian douche bags that have made up some accent to be like New York. No, we do not say Da Bears.

I don't know a single person in real life that speaks like that. Its just a myth perpetuated by the Left Wing media to make people from Chicago sound like idiots. Lol

And no offense to Italian people.

Comment

Working...
              X