Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get yourself sorted out!

Hi there,

following on from the life tips, cookery threads and other sources on the forum, I thought it would be good to create a new topic for some of our younger members who may be starting out on life's long road - A place for sharing some of the wealth of experience our members have, which could help you out, get yourself squared away.

I'm not trying to say that I'm the font of all knowledge but I have picked up a thing or two since leaving home at 17 (am 45 now) and am more than happy, as I'm sure others will be too, to pass on some wisdom to those seeking a bit of advice.

I'll update this as it goes along and hopefully through time, it will be something our members to learn and share from.

I'll divide this post up into sections (no particular order) Just so updating it or putting up links can be easier to find.

----

Money:

No matter what your finances, knowing a few basic things can save you long-term 'hits' on your funds/budget.

Learn how to do basic home maintenance. (wiring a plug, fixing a tap etc etc) Some may be covered by landlord perhaps not. Knowing how to do basic home maintenance will save using a contractor for the basic stuff.

Basic car maintenance (if you have one) Just knowing a few things here can save you so much cash, plus keep you mobile. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Knowing how to check/change oil, water, lights etc, is so basic but will be next to no cost, when compared to a hefty garage bill.

Manage your wages - Set a portion of them aside for savings, then work out the rest of your budget (after rent/utilities/food etc) That's the money you can play with. Lets say you get paid weekly - I used to make mine last 8 days. Don't touch the next paycheck till after the 8th day, through time, you'll have 2 paychecks to play with (use this for luxuries/gifts/GF/ clothes etc) That way you'll still have your paycheck to live on.

Always check for coupons and discounts - online or in local papers. It can make a difference.

----

Grooming:

Learn to take care of your appearance. I'm not talking about walking around like James Bond or like the cover of GQ magazine, just be the best representative of yourself that you can be. People say first impressions count and it's pretty true. You don't want the first impression people have of you to be 'slob'

At least once or twice a week, wash your face, exfoliate, close your pores with cool/cold water and apply moisturizer (over and above normal showers/bathing etc)

If you're growing a beard, groom it, wax it - no need to look like a wild bird is nesting in it (unless that's your thing). If you prefer 'clean shaven' learn how to wet shave and apply cologne without the smell being overbearing. Rule of thumb, less is more - people struggle to chat for any length of time if they are standing in a dense cloud of aftershave. Smell fresh and clean - not like you fell in a vat of aftershave.

If money is an issue, there's loads of 'wardrobe essentials' sites where, with a few tops, trousers and shoes you can easily up your style game without breaking the bank. Being well dressed can make the difference whether doors open for you or not. (well dressed does not necessarily mean designer labels) For example - practically every woman has the 'little black dress' option (or a variation of it) Men have classic styles that don't have to be current fashion yet are still stylish.

If you do want to spend a few $$'s more on clothes, remember to spend it on the quality, not the label - a well made pair of shoes/boots could last years. Although spending more initially, you'll save in the long run as they will still be in good condition, as opposed to cheap shoes you buy again and again as they perish/degrade faster.

Basically - No matter what your 'look' is, take pride in your appearance - people notice.

-----

Lifestyle:

It's good to chill out at home every now and again but it's unhealthy to stay in all the time. Try to enroll in a class that interests you or go for a walk, something, anything that will get out out and about and talking to people. Whatever it is, go do it. If your single, the girl/guy of your dreams is not going to land on your lap if you never leave the room!

Try and eat as healthily/fresh as you can - your body will thank you

If you're going to start a new fitness regime, plan it out, make the time. At times especially at the start, it'll feel like a super-chore but decide why you are doing it and commit. It'll take a good few weeks for your brain/body to accept the new routine but keep telling yourself it'll be worth it and push through.

"Learn to drive stick-shift and eventually, speed shift too. You'll discover the coordination of a clutch and the naturally smooth tricks of a 5-speed... you'll never know when it'll come in handy too! " - Jockinthebox

----

Home:

At some point you'll be buying furniture of some type. If your place is cramped for storage, try to get stuff that has integrated storage. A spacious/open place feels a lot more welcoming and comfortable than a place with clutter everywhere. Here's a link with some storage space inspiration to give you an idea of some options available.

Clean your place at least once a month - I mean dust and polish etc. Tidy up daily obviously - you never know when someone will visit. Nobody is gong to impressed if your place looks and smells like a garbage dump.

Learn to cook a few different things - like Roast chicken, cooking a steak, scrambled eggs, just the basic stuff but learn. You never know when it'll come in handy and through time, you'll have a few 'go-to' recipes that'll be impressive, tasty and in some cases, romantic.

So far laundry has, to date, never washed itself. Don't wait till the laundry basket develops it's own life-forms, stay on top of it and you'll have fresh clothing options all the time. Learning how to use an iron would probably come in handy if you like uncrushed clothes too.

Keep a candle in the bathroom/toilet - If you happen to have the ass of Beelzebub, light the candle to help with the smell. Related: air-freshener is good to have in the cupboard in case of emergencies.

Keep your toilet clean - you never know who'll be puking down it! lol.

At least once every 2 weeks, wash your duvet/sheets/pillowcases etc. Sleeping in a clean fresh bed is a lot more enjoyable than a sour, stale one, covered in crumbs or whatever. Plus it keeps bacteria/fungus etc from developing (I read an article recently that it should be every 2-3 days but that seems too much to me)

When starting out

----

Misc:

Wrap your stump, before you hump! - You don't want a one-night stand to end up being half a lifetime of child payments. Start a family when you are ready, not by accident.

If you're getting your pic taken, you could do worse than remembering a few points from this guy. After all, this topic is all about making the best of yourself. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe3oJnFtA_k

Teach yourself to smile 'slightly' - It'll put a twinkle in your eye, give yourself an air of confidence and you'll seem more approachable than if you are walking around with a scowl/frown.

----

That's it for now. Hope this helps someone. Will add to this if/when others reply
    LJMatey
    Last edited by LJMatey; 01-29-2017, 08:51 AM. Reason: stuff added
    Start: Jan '17. Current: BPEL: +0.9" EG: +0.47"

updated
    Start: Jan '17. Current: BPEL: +0.9" EG: +0.47"

Comment

Working...
    X