Facebook Polics and Whatever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Polics and Whatever

Oh yes I was on Facebook, well I think it was for 22 minutes many years ago. Friends that I hadn't spoken to in years could now get in touch. Funny but if they were friends we'd still be talking to each other.

How could they do all this stuff and charge nothing? Well I didn't know the term data collecting back then but I figured it had to be something where my personal stuff was going somewhere. Didn't like the concept.

Yet some, not me, buy into the slogan; bringing the world and people together. No it doesn't. It separates. When was the last time you talked to your friend? Oh I spoke to them on Facebook. No you didn't speak to them; you typed to them. No human voice, no listening to tone or inflection, no personal connection.

But I can keep up with all the things going on in peoples lives that I care about. Bullshit; you don't care about all the people on your friends list. You're just being nosy. No one has time for a 176 friends.

As a kid we always went on vacation and there was always dad with the camera for slides and movies. When we got home we invited friends over to see all those stupid slides and movies and then we had to see their vacation stuff. You see were were all together and interacting in a human way. Now you know your friends went on vacation because you saw it on Facebook. Oh yes you made a comment; how human!

Yet Facebook is bringing us all together, except if you get bumped off whatever list you're on. Oh I got thrown off the friend zone list or whatever. Well I don't give a crap but many Facebook people really get upset and even start fights. Marriages, relationship, friendships all destroyed over what someone, anyone said on Facebook. Yes people have been killed over stuff on there.

Is this really human? Does this actually bring fulfillment to your lives? Is your life that barren that you need a Facebook to live? You don't even have to go outside anymore; you've seen the outside world on Facebook. No human voice; no touch just typed words.

Okay I know I'm wrong because millions love it. Tell me.
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Yes, I can understand your displeasure. Every generation has it's own challenges. Every achievement - is it technical, scientific, whatever brings new relief and challenges at the same time.

In general I'm with you - meet real friends, interact with the real word. But at bottom pegym forums is something similiar. So it's nice talking with you, really. And the internet social media gives us the possibility to share knowledge on a topic or simply talk with people all over the world.
    User4286
    Last edited by User4286; 05-08-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

You are right. Thank God we at least see the light. Too bad millions don't.

I'm just glad I wasn't born in the 90s or sooner. I feel good to be an 80s child! I'm proud that I fell off my bicycle and scraped my knees and fell out of trees when I was a kid! My childhood kicked ass!, building forts and rope swings and zip lines and shat. If only I could turn back time.

I never once thought the world would change the way that it has, but I guess that's what I get for doing my own thinking.

I actually feel bad for the younger generations, but what can I do? I'm just a banana.

Bahahahahahaha
      You never slow down, you never grow old!

Comment

^^ one of the major "piss off's" is people on there that are friends telling me "pics or it didn't happen" .. "didn't see it, don't believe it".. Or "I don't do anything or go anywhere" so they just assume I stay home.. No I don't document and post every single little thing going on in my life for strangers to see.. I'm too busy living/enjoying the experiences to give a crap about someone else thinking I'm awesome for doing whatever.. I am on there, but it is used as a quick communication platform for me, other then the "social bragging" that goes on..

I know it caused me one relationship I really wanted because of nosy people sticking their noses in and stirring the pot..
        Start: 11/2013: BPEL: 4.73" MEG: 4.5"
        Best: BPEL: 7" MEG: 5.625"
        Current:BPEL: 7" MEG: 5.5"

Comment

You're not wrong, Cusp. I think Facebook, and all electronic forms of communication, are great - in moderation. BUT, they shouldn't take the place of face-to-face conversations. They should be supplemental.

Personally, I love seeing pics of family and friends from around the globe. Having lived all over the country, I know that thanks to Facebook I've been able to keep in touch with people I probably would've lost touch with, had it not been for social media. Right now, I'm in South Dakota for the week - and had dinner with a friend last night I hadn't seen in over a year, who is definitely someone I'm happy is in my life, but we probably would've drifted apart if not for Facebook. Another friend is coming in from Minnesota, so we can have dinner tonight. I haven't seen her in 3 years! But, thanks to Facebook, I don't feel like it's been that long, because we PM each other all of the time.

I was in Myrtle over Easter, and a cousin on MrKimberly's side, who he had never met, is stationed up at Fort Bragg, so came down with his family. We'd connected over Facebook (despite his family not being close), and we had such a lovely weekend! They'll be coming up to Chicago this summer! I'm very excited. And, this is thanks to Facebook.

So, I think in these instances, social media is helpful. Where it helps solidify and make social connections that transcend the Internet. However, when you REPLACE real life interaction with solely electronic interaction - well, that's a problem.

And, like master-gauge, I HATE the social bragging. And, seriously, how many selfies does one person need to take? If you get a hair cut and want to show it off - great! But, otherwise no one needs 42 selfies of you in your car! LOL

But, when my father had cancer, I know the support, prayers, PMs, and yes - calls, texts and visits, that happened because of my social media post were invaluable!

This last week, my mother ended up in the hospital, with AFib. I asked for prayers and positive thoughts, and again, the support of my social media friends was overwhelming. Some, who have never physically met my mother, even sent her flowers! And, one friend of mine who lives 2 hours away, came down to her place to stay and take care of her dogs and cat. So, not only did their support help me in another scary time, but she was flabbergasted by the kindness.

So, like all technology, when misused, it can be detriment. But, when used properly, technology can have its value. The challenge to use it properly.
          Kimberly
          PEGym.com

Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/pegym

Comment

I feel the same way CUSP! Hell, I don't even have Facebook and yet it still gets me in trouble from time to time! I don't even allow my picture to be taken anymore because I know it will eventually end up there. I prefer being a ghost. You can't figure me out, drives the girls crazy because they can't snoop in on me. It actually encourages "real" conversations! In fact, this is the only "social media" account that I am actively involved with and to all you blokes and a few shilas out there, I'm just a burrito with a few exceptions. It's like giving the rest of the world....
            Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
            Recommended Routine
            2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
            BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

@ Kim, the lady I was looking to date had around 100 selfies or so maybe it was a sign, lol..
              Start: 11/2013: BPEL: 4.73" MEG: 4.5"
              Best: BPEL: 7" MEG: 5.625"
              Current:BPEL: 7" MEG: 5.5"

Comment

I have never done Facebook and never will. Anyone that I want to stay in contact with I call or go see them in person. Like Burrito, this is the only social media that I'm a part of.

When I was a kid we were always outside playing. All of us in the neighborhood would get together and start a ball game, snowball fights, build forts but mostly we did stupid things that should have gotten us killed. We managed to survive with only the occasional injury. It seems nowadays they more into gaming on the computer and socializing through the internet or their smartphone. Yeah I know I'm an outdated dinosaur but I miss the old days.
                Cavalier
                Retired Super Moderator
                Member of the Month Feb 2015
                PEGym Hero
                Last edited by Cavalier; 05-08-2018, 02:49 PM.
                To totally satisfy a woman sexually is not about having a large penis, it's about being a good lover.

Comment

I have a brother that is stationed in the Air Force at one of the most popular beaches in the gulf. You'd think he's spend every chance he got enjoying the beach and chasing tail. Hell, he's only 22 and single. What does he do instead? He spends virtually every waking moment of his time off playing video games like Fortnight and RPG's. It kills me on the inside seeing such opportunities being wasted. Hell, he might as well been stationed for Alaska or Siberia, it would make no difference to him as long as the internet speeds were good.

Furthermore, his roommate was playng games when I got back from the beach at 7pm, i went to bed at 1am, he was still playing, woke up at 8am, he was still playing and eating ramen noodles and spaghetti-os. He's white as sheets and lives at the beach!!! I feel for these guys IF they ever WAKE UP to reality and realize all the missed opportunities because they were more concerned about reaching level 10 dwarf slayer and upgrading to the best dork sword. Maybe this should have been in "A Place to Rant". Lol
                  Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
                  Recommended Routine
                  2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
                  BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

I am not very tech savvy. However, I remember when I was a kid talking to my friends into a tin can connected by a string to another can. At parties, we sent messages down a line of people speaking into each other’s ears and repeating the message to the next person until the message reached the end of the line. Strange how the message changed from the beginning to the end.

I was about ten when my parents bought my brother and me a battery powered Walkie talkie set which we could use to talk to each other between rooms. Are any of these similar to Facebook.
                    Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                    12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                    12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                    01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                    01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                    01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                    Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Everyone on my Facebook I would literally speak to if I saw them on the street.

However it does make you lazy as you don't actively stay in touch like you would without it.
                      Women were created from the rib of man to be beside him, not from his head to top him, nor from his feet to be trampled by him, but from under his arm to be protected by him, near to his heart to be loved by him.

Comment

Facebook is icky
                        Pirate Diplomacy:
                        The art of telling someone to go to hell and having them look forward to the trip.

Remember: If done right, there is no such thing as safe sex.

Comment

I have had three FB friends unfriend me because I do not like the New Orleans sAINTS. And one of those three because of political differences.

Everyday I think of deleting my account. It only wastes time that will never be regained.
                          I like to reminisce with people I don't know. Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate Burrito View Post
                            I feel the same way CUSP! Hell, I don't even have Facebook and yet it still gets me in trouble from time to time! I don't even allow my picture to be taken anymore because I know it will eventually end up there. I prefer being a ghost. You can't figure me out, drives the girls crazy because they can't snoop in on me. It actually encourages "real" conversations! In fact, this is the only "social media" account that I am actively involved with and to all you blokes and a few shilas out there, I'm just a burrito with a few exceptions. It's like giving the rest of the world....

I'm the same way about my picture being taken. I have an aunt and my sister who have taken a picture of me and tag me. Here is Rooster boiling a sack of crawfish or making sure the ribs are doing what they're supposed to do.

I report them every time. Don't know what good it does, but I do.
                            BigRooster
                            Member of the Month Apr 2018
                            PEGym Hero
                            Last edited by BigRooster; 05-11-2018, 01:06 PM.
                            I like to reminisce with people I don't know. Steven Wright

Comment

I used to have a Facebook and several other personal social media accounts. Then my family started spying on me using Facebook. They commented on everything I posted and brought it up at family gatherings in attempt to embarrass me. I wasn't been posting anything regretable they're just that controlling and judgemental. After I caught my ex wife openly cheating on me leaving love notes to the other guy, the new ex husband after me, I was done with social media. Now, I just have a professional and college account rarely post on for 2 good reasons. 1) I know employers research resume names on social media accounts and disqualify candidates based on comments and pictures. 2) People are more interested in getting to know me when they can't find anything about me online. Plus, my life is more interesting now that I can do whatever I want without trying to impress anyone or fearing that someone will look me up online to get me in trouble.
                              Sex is the great leveler, taste the great divider. - Pauline Kael

Comment

Working...
                              X