Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought billy bookcases (IKEA)

Hi there!

So I recently purchased 2 billy bookcases with a glass door so dust can't attack my books .. I already assembled the bookcases without the glass doors. I still have to attach the glass doors to the bookcases but I was so stupid to think the bookcases could stand on its own in the bedroom .. I can read in the manual that it's best to attach the bookcases to a wall so it won't fall over when attaching the glass doors and inserting books.

I didn't think about this and I don't have room to place the bookcases against a wall (already other closets etc there). Is there a way for me to secure the bookcases so they won't tillt over when assembling the glass doors and placing books inside the bookcase? I am far from a handyman if you haven't noticed this already

Thanks!
    Sperminator

Maybe shim the front side so they tilt backwards, just a tad ?
    Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
    Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

Many, many ways to do it. Without seeing the room and setup it's hard to offer effective suggestions.

Do you have the option to place them back to back so they, when loaded, counter act each other?

Placing "L" brackets on the back and fastening to the floor might be another option...
      Started: BPEL•••6.0"••• MEG 5.3"
      Current: BPEL•••6.6±"•••MEG 5½"•••BEG 5¾"
      Goal: BPEL•••7.0"•••MEG 5.8"

Comment

I thought most of these came with anti-tipping mounts and wires. Every one I have bought comes with a piece you mount to both the wall and the cabinet, and a wire to go between them.
        Original/Current Stats:
        2014-09-01: BPEL 6.8"/NBPEL 6" MEG 5.0", BPFL 5"/NBPFL 4" FG 4.4"
        2019-03-16: BPEL 8"/NBPEL 6.75" MEG 5.2", BPFL 6.75"/NBPFL 5.5" FG 4.5"

Goals:
        Realistic: BPEL 8.5"/NBPEL 7.5" MEG 5.5"
        Optimistic: BPEL 9"/NBPEL 8" MEG 5.75"
        Dream: BPEL 10"/NBPEL 9" MEG 6.5"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightforce View Post
          Many, many ways to do it. Without seeing the room and setup it's hard to offer effective suggestions.

Do you have the option to place them back to back so they, when loaded, counter act each other?

Placing "L" brackets on the back and fastening to the floor might be another option...
          I could place them with their backs against each other but I have no idea how to not let the bookcases fall forward .. I can't put a rope or something between them because then I can't open the glass doors anymore .. I'm not sure what you mean with the L's?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix7672 View Post
            I thought most of these came with anti-tipping mounts and wires. Every one I have bought comes with a piece you mount to both the wall and the cabinet, and a wire to go between them.
            It came with some stuff to attach the bookcase to a wall by drilling a hole into the wall .. Not sure what you mean with the wires ..

Comment

Get a good handyman in and let him sort out your problem for you, but having then standing back to back sounds good if you have the room? but they would still need to be fixed to each other, so it makes them solid.

NOWHARD

Comment

Originally posted by NOWHARD View Post
                Get a good handyman in and let him sort out your problem for you, but having then standing back to back sounds good if you have the room? but they would still need to be fixed to each other, so it makes them solid.

NOWHARD
                Hi NOWHARD!

Yes, I have the room to let them stand back to back against each other. Only problem is that I don't know how to attach them against each other .. I don't want them to fall forward that's my main concern since the doors are from glass. Still need to attach the glass doors to the bookcase frame.

Comment

I'd get some flat connectors, generally about 3/4" x 4" long and allows 4 screws, 2 in each side, and screw them together on the top.
                  Started: BPEL•••6.0"••• MEG 5.3"
                  Current: BPEL•••6.6±"•••MEG 5½"•••BEG 5¾"
                  Goal: BPEL•••7.0"•••MEG 5.8"

Comment

For something like this I would just butterfly bolt it to the wall. That's going to be your cheapest solution.
                    Sex is the great leveler, taste the great divider. - Pauline Kael

Comment

In the future, don’t buy from IKEA. Nothing but crap. Spent 5 hours putting together a TV stand my daughter bought there. A couple of boards painted black on milk crates would have been more stable, easier, and cheaper.
                      A prayer, is kinda the same as a "Like". If there are enough likes, God will take notice. So "Like" away please. My daughter needs your prayers. Thank You.

Comment

You can fasten a board with a good size from different kind of materials with screws underneath. So that it function as a foot.
                        Start 5.8 (14.9 cm) BPEL 5.2 MEG

Now: 7 .9 (20 cm ) BPEL 5.3 MEG

Comment

Originally posted by Nightforce View Post
                          I'd get some flat connectors, generally about 3/4" x 4" long and allows 4 screws, 2 in each side, and screw them together on the top.
                          Do I need to drill them through the wood? I think this is the best idea so far .. The screws will probably stick out of the wooden roof tho no?

You mean something like this right?

http://www.bpcfixings.com/images/pro...Plates-web.jpg

Comment

There is a gismo you can buy that will drill holes at the right angle and to screw them together with out the need for plates if your going for the double free standing back to back bookcase.

NOWHARD

Comment

Originally posted by TheSperminator View Post
                              Hi NOWHARD!

Yes, I have the room to let them stand back to back against each other. Only problem is that I don't know how to attach them against each other .. I don't want them to fall forward that's my main concern since the doors are from glass. Still need to attach the glass doors to the bookcase frame.
                              I will look up the name of mine in the morning and post it as its all very simple to use you would only need 3 fixing each side, job done and all very neat.

NOWHARD

Comment

Working...
                              X