Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever had mental health illness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever had mental health illness?

I'm creating this thread because I've suffered from SEVERE CRIPPLING anxiety ever since I started my teen years, suicidal depression, and terrible panic attacks. It was so bad I felt like my heart would explode randomly when I would walk around any crowded areas alone. I started to develop a speech impediment and was stuttering a lot when I've always had a very clear and concise way of speaking. I even saw a therapist who pretty much didn't do shit for me other than recommend me to see a psychiatrist and give me pity rather than help me become stronger.

Ever since the New Year started I noticed that my anxiety has decreased by upwards of 80% and I'm not sure what is the reason or why or how. I moved away from my family last year and during this winter break I went back to see them all and I was extremely stressed out to the maximum, but once I got there everything felt so natural and I felt so happy and alive. I came back with this positive energy that I can slowly feel day by day wearing off a bit.

Have any of you struggled with mental health illnesses? Have any of you actually beat them without the use of pills or other substance? I wanted to make this thread because I always have been boxed in my head my whole life and I know how terrible it feels so feel free to write your story and struggle. I feel as if those of us who have struggled with these things can definitely benefit from learning from each other, and those that don't struggle with them can gain knowledge to help out someone they might know who experiences this.

Originally posted by bigplayre View Post
    Ever since the New Year started I noticed that my anxiety has decreased by upwards of 80% and I'm not sure what is the reason or why or how. I moved away from my family last year and during this winter break I went back to see them all and I was extremely stressed out to the maximum, but once I got there everything felt so natural and I felt so happy and alive. I came back with this positive energy that I can slowly feel day by day wearing off a bit.
    This is fantastic news bigplayre

I am very fortunate that I have not suffered with mental health issues so far in my life so can't add anything much to the topic however I am fully supportive of your desire to open up a discussion with a view to providing support to other forum members. Good on you for trying to help others who might be struggling as you clearly have.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxEQ9x6 View Post
      This is fantastic news bigplayre

I am very fortunate that I have not suffered with mental health issues so far in my life so can't add anything much to the topic however I am fully supportive of your desire to open up a discussion with a view to providing support to other forum members. Good on you for trying to help others who might be struggling as you clearly have.
      Thanks man, unfortunately I can feel how it would creep up on me again if I don't focus. I will do everything I can to stay healthy and negate it. You're very lucky! I remember being very young the last time I didn't have anxiety. The most wonderful feeling in the world to not be trapped in your own head.

Comment

That's why I think it might be helpful if you are able to share on the forum and avoid retreating into you own head. Some times another viewpoint or a few kind words can be quite helpful (at least in my experience).

Comment

Originally posted by MaxEQ9x6 View Post
          That's why I think it might be helpful if you are able to share on the forum and avoid retreating into you own head. Some times another viewpoint or a few kind words can be quite helpful (at least in my experience).
          Definitely, I am eager for someone to talk about their experience with anxiety and how they beat it. Specifically social anxiety, since that's what I seem to have the worst of.

Comment

Hi Not had anxiety myself but I do know that meditation is very good for controlling it, just google anxiety and meditation and your find lots to read about it, but in doing answering on peoples problems I always say find a local group, who are into meditation and join and from them learn the art of meditation, this should be really a big help to you, its a way of clearing your mind when ever you feel it coming on, and with luck you should be able to keep yourself under control.

NOWHARD

Comment

I've dealt with depression/anxiety/suicidal thoughts/etc for the majority of my life, and still do on pretty much a daily basis. For me, I think it stemmed from growing up always thinking I just didn't fit in or nobody liked me or whatever. That led to low self esteem/confidence, which led to being an easy target for getting picked on daily until about the 11th grade. Then add in a not-so-great home life. Suicide became an "option" in dealing with difficult things while I was growing up and seems to be ingrained into my thought processes. I'm in my late 30s now. I recognized this long ago but it takes a while to rewire your brain. My daughter's not going to grow up without me around and I'm not putting my family through the mess of me offing myself... unfortunately, I've seen it firsthand a few times. So if someone reading this has those same thoughts, find something to hold on to until you can get past the things pushing you in that direction. Those things are only temporary. If you can't find something... look harder. There's always a bigger reason to keep going and there are so many tools to facilitate a happier life.

Have you taken a comprehensive personality test? Plenty of free ones online. Obviously, there are many reasons for depression/anxiety like hormonal imbalances, traumatic experiences, and others. I do think for, a good number of people, understanding who you are and how your brain is wired to interact with the world can help overcome a lot of issues. For me, finding these things out helped. I basically stopped giving a shit about what other people thought and was able to somewhat recognize their personalities. That made it easier to have less social anxiety because I was able to adjust how I interacted with them, or just avoid it altogether if I felt there was no point to.

Comment

Originally posted by NOWHARD View Post
                Hi Not had anxiety myself but I do know that meditation is very good for controlling it, just google anxiety and meditation and your find lots to read about it, but in doing answering on peoples problems I always say find a local group, who are into meditation and join and from them learn the art of meditation, this should be really a big help to you, its a way of clearing your mind when ever you feel it coming on, and with luck you should be able to keep yourself under control.

NOWHARD
                I tried meditation and it definitely helped by a large amount! I'm going to incorporate it into my daily routine for atleast 10 minutes from now on. Thanks bro!

Comment

Originally posted by tank0909 View Post
                  I've dealt with depression/anxiety/suicidal thoughts/etc for the majority of my life, and still do on pretty much a daily basis. For me, I think it stemmed from growing up always thinking I just didn't fit in or nobody liked me or whatever. That led to low self esteem/confidence, which led to being an easy target for getting picked on daily until about the 11th grade. Then add in a not-so-great home life. Suicide became an "option" in dealing with difficult things while I was growing up and seems to be ingrained into my thought processes. I'm in my late 30s now. I recognized this long ago but it takes a while to rewire your brain. My daughter's not going to grow up without me around and I'm not putting my family through the mess of me offing myself... unfortunately, I've seen it firsthand a few times. So if someone reading this has those same thoughts, find something to hold on to until you can get past the things pushing you in that direction. Those things are only temporary. If you can't find something... look harder. There's always a bigger reason to keep going and there are so many tools to facilitate a happier life.

Have you taken a comprehensive personality test? Plenty of free ones online. Obviously, there are many reasons for depression/anxiety like hormonal imbalances, traumatic experiences, and others. I do think for, a good number of people, understanding who you are and how your brain is wired to interact with the world can help overcome a lot of issues. For me, finding these things out helped. I basically stopped giving a shit about what other people thought and was able to somewhat recognize their personalities. That made it easier to have less social anxiety because I was able to adjust how I interacted with them, or just avoid it altogether if I felt there was no point to.
                  I appreciate the wisdom and well-thought out response. I notice with my social anxiety it typically works in a domino effect type of manner. From the moment I wake up, I have two voices in my head one that tells me to socialize and one that's telling me that I'm shouldn't socialize and that I'm worthless. Something as small as a good morning or hello how are you automatically puts me in the positive domino chain and I notice throughout the rest of my day my social anxiety is much better and I don't feel NEARLY as bad as I did. The problem happens when I have a day where I spiral down negatively. When I wake up and don't talk to anyone then it gets progressively worse and I lose breath and feel more anxious throughout the day and my heart beats ridiculously fast. When that happens it tends to happen over and over and over again until the voice in my head telling me to socialize just disappears. Then I fall into a loop of depression with it, I'm happy I've recognized it a bit more now so I know how to combat it a bit.

Comment

Definitely understand and I know what you're describing. Are you an introvert? I am. Those negative days wake me up in a sense and let me know I've overspent my social energy. That's when I know I need to take some time for myself. Humans are social creatures, in general. So even if I just want to be alone, I find that drive to socialize in some form or fashion creeping in. This is where your self-awareness comes into play. Social interaction takes quite a toll on me and causes anxiety during and well after it takes place. Continued interaction after my social energy is gone puts me into that downward spiral. But like you said, those positive days are great and I don't get as anxious or get much of those after effects. That energy just needs to get managed. Introverts recharge our batteries by being alone and get drained when we're exposed to a lot of stimulation. Extroverts typically get their batteries recharged by social interaction and need that stimulation. Everyone has some of everything as far as those traits, but some are more prevalent. I hate categorizing myself, but I think it's important to know where we fall in the spectrum.

Comment

Very good thread; keep talking.
                      The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Originally posted by bigplayre View Post
                        I'm creating this thread because I've suffered from SEVERE CRIPPLING anxiety ever since I started my teen years, suicidal depression, and terrible panic attacks. It was so bad I felt like my heart would explode randomly when I would walk around any crowded areas alone. I started to develop a speech impediment and was stuttering a lot when I've always had a very clear and concise way of speaking. I even saw a therapist who pretty much didn't do shit for me other than recommend me to see a psychiatrist and give me pity rather than help me become stronger.

Have any of you struggled with mental health illnesses? Have any of you actually beat them without the use of pills or other substance? I wanted to make this thread because I always have been boxed in my head my whole life and I know how terrible it feels so feel free to write your story and struggle. I feel as if those of us who have struggled with these things can definitely benefit from learning from each other, and those that don't struggle with them can gain knowledge to help out someone they might know who experiences this.
                        I love that you created this thread! While i do not have huge social anxiety i do have depressive bipolar and some PTSD. Ive personally found being non medicated is possible but its a LOT of possitive hard work. I tracked my bipolar cycles for 2 yrs off meds before i was able to know what and how my body was handleing. Along with daily self annalysis. My PTSD was in regards to an attack in college. With that i see things(ish) sometimes. Mostly dreams now a days. I scare easy too. my anxiety takes over fast i go into fight or flight almost immediately or i used to. I practiced a lot of square breathing to were it became areaction to my anxiety instead of a response to. Along witb that come to fight vers the flight response. I do color counting for that. It take more focis and 5 yeara later im still not perfect at it. Mental illness is a long ass road in your life BUT it does not have to define your life. As much as we feel like it does it. Allow it to show you the best and worst of you. You may end up even suprising yourself once you understand your inner most thoughts better.
                        People may not remember what you did or what you said but they'll always remeber how you made them feel. 😉

Comment

Things that help me kill depression when it creeps in for me is to.

1 - keep myself busy so I don’t think about all the dark stuff.
                          2 - meditate it clear the mind and helps you find that inner peace and calm when your mind is going crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by tank0909 View Post
                            Definitely understand and I know what you're describing. Are you an introvert? I am. Those negative days wake me up in a sense and let me know I've overspent my social energy. That's when I know I need to take some time for myself. Humans are social creatures, in general. So even if I just want to be alone, I find that drive to socialize in some form or fashion creeping in. This is where your self-awareness comes into play. Social interaction takes quite a toll on me and causes anxiety during and well after it takes place. Continued interaction after my social energy is gone puts me into that downward spiral. But like you said, those positive days are great and I don't get as anxious or get much of those after effects. That energy just needs to get managed. Introverts recharge our batteries by being alone and get drained when we're exposed to a lot of stimulation. Extroverts typically get their batteries recharged by social interaction and need that stimulation. Everyone has some of everything as far as those traits, but some are more prevalent. I hate categorizing myself, but I think it's important to know where we fall in the spectrum.
                            Haha, you know what's really weird. I'm the most extroverted person you could possibly meet. I absolutely NEED to socialize and talk to people and be around them to feel like I completed my day. My case is extremely weird, I have social anxiety and I'm extroverted. My social anxiety gets worse when I don't get to socialize for an extended period of time that's what snowballs into a terribly overwhelming feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildflower View Post
                              I love that you created this thread! While i do not have huge social anxiety i do have depressive bipolar and some PTSD. Ive personally found being non medicated is possible but its a LOT of possitive hard work. I tracked my bipolar cycles for 2 yrs off meds before i was able to know what and how my body was handleing. Along with daily self annalysis. My PTSD was in regards to an attack in college. With that i see things(ish) sometimes. Mostly dreams now a days. I scare easy too. my anxiety takes over fast i go into fight or flight almost immediately or i used to. I practiced a lot of square breathing to were it became areaction to my anxiety instead of a response to. Along witb that come to fight vers the flight response. I do color counting for that. It take more focis and 5 yeara later im still not perfect at it. Mental illness is a long ass road in your life BUT it does not have to define your life. As much as we feel like it does it. Allow it to show you the best and worst of you. You may end up even suprising yourself once you understand your inner most thoughts better.
                              Yea, I noticed it's been a lifelong struggle since my early teens. I'm just extremely happy and excited to hear all your responses and how everyone has dealt with theirs. It's been almost a decade that I've dealt with these mental health issues and I'm FINALLY noticing how I can mindfully negate them from overtaking me. For me it's more of me having to really PUSH myself out of the comfort zone a few times then I feel completely fine. But, when I don't break through the barrier the barrier gets stronger and stronger and I start feeling trapped, like I'm in a cage.

Comment

Working...
                              X