Docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Docs

So I had an op recently and I didn't get on with the Anaesthetist .

Besides being a general borish a hole he said something specific re medical info . I get regular liver enzyme tests and he said it didn't matter it wasn't very predective /

So i looked it up
    Enzyme levels in the blood routinely monitored by physicians as liver function indicators are also the best predictor of liver cancer risk in the general population, a team of scientists in Taiwan and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center reports today in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
    "These two enzymes alone predicted 91 percent of liver cancer cases in our prospective study," said senior author Xifeng Wu, M.D., Ph.D., professor and chair of MD Anderson's Department of Epidemiology. "If our research is confirmed in other studies, we'd have a measure for liver cancer risk that's easy to apply via a simple blood test that's already in widespread clinical use."
    Unquote

Look i know Dr Google yadayada .

But here is the thing. I have caught docs lying before . They seem to want to tell you what they want you to believe regardless of the facts . Problem is this does not only lower their personal cred but the cred of docs generally .
    thes
    Another question why would an an anaesthestist launch into full on lifestyle counseling right before an op ?? Particularly if he has no talent for it ! I can't think of a worse time leaving me upset and agro before an op .

What Does an Anesthetist Do? (Anesthesiologist)

What Does an Anesthetist Do?

Overall, anesthetists, also known as anesthesiologists, are responsible for administering one of three different types of anesthesia to patients undergoing specific procedures that require numbing. It is critical to note that an anesthesiologist doesn’t merely assess the safety of anesthesia before, during, and after surgery, but also assesses the combined risk of anesthesia and the planned operation.
    Types of anesthesia

• [*=1]Regional anesthetic – Regional anesthetic numbs a specific portion of the body. Cesarean sections are done with a regional anesthetic.
      [*=1]Local anesthetic – A local anesthetic blocks sensations in small areas. Dentists use local anesthesia when numbing a jaw or gums.
      [*=1]General anesthetic – A general anesthetic renders the patient unconscious.

An anesthesiologist in an operating room administers the anesthetic and is responsible for the ongoing, and overall well being of the patient throughout the operation. For example, after putting a patient to sleep, the anesthetist correctly positions the patient for the operation. Proper positioning provides the best visualization of, and access to, the surgical site while minimizing any physiological challenges to the patient. Positioning must also protect the patient’s skin and joints. During training, an anesthesiologist learns standard positioning practices that effectively reduce the chances of patient complications related to positioning.
    An anesthesiologist must also monitor the patient throughout a surgical procedure. Monitoring tasks require the continual evaluation of the patient’s oxygenation, ventilation, circulation, and temperature throughout the procedure. If any of these falls outside acceptable ranges, an anesthesiologist must notify members of the surgical team immediately so appropriate intervention can be taken.
    Basic principles of anesthesia

An anesthetic plan, also known as a perioperative plan, encompasses the following three phases:
    • [*=1]Preoperative – before the surgery
      [*=1]Intraoperative – during the surgery
      [*=1]Postoperative – after the surgery

Patient needs, the experience of the anesthesiologist and the constraints of the proposed surgical procedure are addressed in a perioperative plan. In particular, a trauma anesthetic needs to be dynamic and responsive to rapid changes in patient condition.
    Preoperative prior to an initial assessment

During a preoperative assessment, the overall fitness of the patient for the intended anesthetic and upcoming surgery is determined. Occasionally the urgency of the operation reduces the how long an anesthesiologist can spend with a patient. However, when surgery is scheduled, and the anesthetist can spend an appropriate amount of time with the patient, specific guidelines are followed that determine the patient’s readiness for the procedure. This includes uncovering any medical conditions which might impact the management of the selected anesthetic.
    Some of the more common goals of a preoperative exam are [1]:
    1. [*=1]Assessment of the patient’s overall health status.
      [*=1]Development of an appropriate perioperative care plan.
      [*=1]Discovery of any conditions putting the patient at potential risk for complications during and after surgery.
      [*=1]Discussion of postoperative care, including pain treatments in the hope of reducing anxiety and promoting recovery.
      [*=1]Confirmation of the need for the surgery.
      [*=1]Education of the patient about the surgery, anesthesia, intraoperative care.

Preoperative after an initial assessment

With an initial assessment in hand, the anesthesiologist will review the plan for a patient’s upcoming surgery. The plan may include one, or more of the following items [2].
    • [*=1]Anesthesia options (general, regional or local).
      [*=1]Pain management options after the surgery.
      [*=1]Risk of anesthesia for the patient given the type of surgery and any other medical conditions the patient may have (such as heart or lung disease).
      [*=1]Special circumstances that may require additional care or equipment (i., extra monitors, need for intensive care after surgery, etc.).
      [*=1]Length of time to fast (no eating or drinking) before surgery.
      [*=1]Review of patient’s medications, and nutrients, and if they can be taken prior to surgery.

If you’re wondering why a patient must fast before surgery, it’s because the anesthetic causes a patient’s muscles to relax, including the valves between the esophagus and the stomach, allowing stomach content to flow via the esophagus into the airways lungs. Stomach content is very acidic and contains enzymes that will digest the delicate lung tissue which then becomes a life threatening-situation.
    Likewise, certain medications and nutritional supplements need to be avoided prior to surgery since they can affect bleeding and swelling during surgery. Some may also create blood clots, cause bruising or even prevent healing after surgery. So it’s important that the anesthesiologist receive a complete list of anything the patient is taking in order to minimize risk.
    Intraoperative

The responsibilities of an anesthesiologist during the intraoperative phase are extensive. It is during this time that a patient under general anesthesia is unable to communicate, so the role of an anesthetist is vital if the safety, well-being, and health of the patient are to be safeguarded.
    Although the following list is not all-inclusive, it does represent the duties of anesthesiologists during almost all surgeries.
    • [*=1]Administer the appropriate anesthetic.
      [*=1]Continuously monitor vital signs including pulse, blood pressure, temperature, and respiration.
      [*=1]Control IV for intravenous fluids which control dehydration and allows the administration of medications through the drip.
      [*=1]Ensure the safety of the patient and take appropriate steps to avoid any injuries to the patient’s body during the anesthetic period.
      [*=1]Manage any anesthetic complications.
      [*=1]Monitor the level and depth of anesthesia; make adjustments as needed.
      [*=1]Perform blood transfusions when necessary.
      [*=1]Recognize potentially life-threatening emergencies and perform timely interventions.

Postoperative [3]

Ideally, the anesthesiologist visits the patient between 12-24 hours after surgery. By then the effect of the anesthesia has passed or nearly passed. If the postoperative visit was discussed with the patient during the preoperative assessment, the patient would be expecting this visit.
    During postoperative care, the anesthesiologist watches for any signs of developing postoperative complications, as well as recovery from the anesthetic.
    When conversing with a patient, an anesthesiologist may cover some of the following points:
    • [*=1]Discovery of any side effects, including pain, the patient may be experiencing so that treatment can be delivered.
      [*=1]Inquiry about any awareness the patient may have undergone during the surgery.
      [*=1]Review of any complications related to the anesthesia that may have occurred.

Sometimes these conversations include questions about the overall satisfaction of the patient. Although these can be managed through impersonal questionnaires, a patient may be more candid if he or she speaks face-to-face with the anesthetist.

Comment

Nothing in there about becomeing a lifestyle jihadist .

Docs wonder how they lost the respect they used to have .

Comment

My wife recently went in for an MRI on her left shoulder to check for a torn rotator cuff. When she was being prepared for the MRI, the attendant set her up for a right shoulder MRI. When my wife advised that the problem was with her left shoulder, she was advised that the doctor had written the prescription for a right shoulder MRI. My wife had to wait around for another 30 minutes to get the doc to fax over a corrected prescription.
        Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
        12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
        12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
        01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
        01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
        01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
        Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Oh yes there are good and bad in every profession. That's just the way it is. I guess it's part on being human. Funny we want all our doctors to be the best, you know like the Michael Jordan of doctors yet there is only one Micheal Jordan.
          As for lies, of yes some guys just don't know; they're not Micheal Jordan but it doesn't mean they still aren't good at what they do. Sometimes those lies are called "therapeutic lies"; sometimes you have to lie to a patient to get them off what they are focused on and get them to focus on what is really important.
          The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Ive never had any problem with my docs or the advice given regarding my health.

Tho i did have a male doctor make me take my top off completely to listen to my lungs when i was in my mid twenties. He was about 187 years old so i didnt feel threatened.

And with my second pregnancy, a female doctor did put her fingers in without gloves but again i wasnt worried.
            Women were created from the rib of man to be beside him, not from his head to top him, nor from his feet to be trampled by him, but from under his arm to be protected by him, near to his heart to be loved by him.

Comment

So just wondering how are those lungs?
              The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Unfortunately, Docs are concerned with excessive malpractice law suits and need to cover their asses with excessive testing. It’s the “ambulance chasing” lawyers that are one of the major causes making medical expenses to increase.
                Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

When a doc lies it destroys their cred and damages that of all docs . It means you can not trust them . Aside from plain error they might not be telling the truth for whatever reason.
                  It seems to me a major way docs fall into error is plain arrogence

Comment

A common theme when I tell this story is to be asked how could you be such a half wit as to tell a doc the truth,

Comment

Working...
                    X