Books and Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books and Movies

So while many of us have had more time on our hands than normal these days. Has anyone read a great book or seen a great movie that they want to recommend. I am an Avid reader and lately I have been watching some amazing silent movies and really early Hitchcock movies made in England before he came to Hollywood. Book "A Natural History of the Senses" Movies "Nosferatu" and "Jamaica Inn"
    For evil to flourish, it only requires good men to do nothing.
    -Simon Wiesenthal

Been watching Schitts Creek on NetFlix. Very entertaining.
    Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
    12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
    12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
    01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
    01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
    01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
    Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Watched "The Water Diviner" starring Russell Crowe. Really excellent movie about historic time little known here in America much like the film "The Promise" We generally focus on Europe during WWI but the Ottoman empire was very much in play.
      -Simon Wiesenthal

Comment

We've been getting into movies with our kids. We are into the hunger games now.

My two all time favorite movies are:
        The Outlaw Joseph Wales
        Rob Roy

Books, I like history but most of the history available to us is made up of lies
        Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

Originally posted by BigO View Post
          We've been getting into movies with our kids. We are into the hunger games now.

My two all time favorite movies are:
          The Outlaw Joseph Wales
          Rob Roy

Books, I like history but most of the history available to us is made up of lies
          Both excellent. I really enjoy a good western from the John Wayne days through the Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns to Clint Eastwood. Once Upon A Time in the West. Brilliant.
          -Simon Wiesenthal

Comment

patton!
            The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
              patton!
              Patton was right about EVERYTHING
              Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

The Shining. Liked the book, but King takes too long to get from point A to B. The movie because it is a movie that you can watch over and over and see something new. Kubrick is a genius.
                I like to reminisce with people I don't know. Steven Wright

Comment

The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment

A book that every human should read.

Comment

With what is going on in the world right now, I have been wanting to read George Orwell's "1984". It is about the government gaining all power over the people it is supposed to serve. Apparently what was written in the book has become a prophecy of the present.
                    Starting Size :

BPEL : 5.5"
                    EG : 5"

Current Size :

BPEL : 6-1/2""
                    EG : 5-1/2"

Goal Size :

BPEL : 7-1/2"
                    EG : 6"

My progress log :
                    https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...m-project.html

Comment

I'm re-reading The Wheel of Time series. I started with the first book when it came out in 1992 or something. Then read the books as they came out up until 2013. Now I have the opportunity to go back and re-read. Good series.

As for TV, let me recommend "Staged". A show staring David Tenant and Michael Sheen. Filmed on zoom. During lockdown. Shot, each is 15 minutes or so. But laugh out load funny.
                      03/2015 Start <Able to last ~ 2 mins PIV>
                      Thread
                      12/2019 EL: +2.2 MEG: +1 <Able to last 60+ mins PIV>

Comment

Just finished Sinclair Lewis "It Can't Happen Here" written in 1935 about how a dictatorship could happen in America and is almost a perfect description of the last 4 years and our journey to living in "A Handmaids Tale (great movie) luckily we have a reprieve with the new administration focused on transparency and fighting mis- and disinformation starting with COVID and the Electoral system.
                        -Simon Wiesenthal

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzby2233 View Post
                          Just finished Sinclair Lewis "It Can't Happen Here" written in 1935 about how a dictatorship could happen in America and is almost a perfect description of the last 4 years and our journey to living in "A Handmaids Tale (great movie) luckily we have a reprieve with the new administration focused on transparency and fighting mis- and disinformation starting with COVID and the Electoral system.

You're kidding right? Dictatorship? Really? When was Congress disbanded?
                          Now you Cali guys got this governor who closes down everything. Some group ask via a FOIA request to show the data as to why things were closed. They were refused the information on the grounds that it " may confuse the public". So ya wanna tell me about transparency and dictatorships?
                          The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

The new administration's answer to any questions regarding disclosing any of their policies prior to inauguration was, "vote me in and you'll find out". Can't really call that transparent.

The prior administration didn't need the national guard deployed to "protect" itself from the people when it was being sworn in. The new administration did and had reservations of only 2,000 people. Seems a little dictatorship to me.
                            Starting Size :

BPEL : 5.5"
                            EG : 5"

Current Size :

BPEL : 6-1/2""
                            EG : 5-1/2"

Goal Size :

BPEL : 7-1/2"
                            EG : 6"

My progress log :
                            https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...m-project.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fizzby2233 View Post
                              I'll give you that. Beijiing Biden's administration is transparent, only to those who have clear vision. Not those whose eyes are full of the shit. Four days in and already destroying thousands of jobs. Lunch box Joe and the Demoncratic party is a disgrace. Biden says they're going to do a million people in 100 days. Trump did that but I guess you didn't see that on Communist News Network or MSDNC.
                              I like to reminisce with people I don't know. Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X