Got 'Alexa' ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got 'Alexa' ?

Alexa, sold by Amazon, is a home control type of setup. It can be set/configured to turn lights on/off, either/or by schedule or by your vocal commands.
    Lights could be one item to control, fans, Roomba vacuums, and many home items. Lights can be (purchased/used) which are dimmable, which may be color controlled, scheduled, or activated in a variety of ways.
    Some of these devices can be part of your homes Wi/Fi network, like individual clients, or (if so equipped) can be parts of a Zigbee network, integrated with the latest, Alexa 4th generation, equipment.

I've put two lights in my living room as dimmable, three as only on/off, (a 'behind the bigscreen accent light, a night light, and a brighter room light). The dimmable are programmed to (on a voice command to Alexa) to be set to be like a movie theater comfort level.

The master bedroom has dimmable lights at the right and left bed-bedtables, and a lamp at the far end has a color controlled bulb, for that 'special mood' brightness and hue. Just added a voice controlled/dimmable reading light, over the head of the bed. Nice.

The office has 3 lights, and a small fan, all controlled by Alexa (or voice control).

Lastly, Alexa and my Roomba vacuum can communicate. A simple voice(or pre scheduled event) and I can order the Roomba to vacuum the living room, hallway, dining area, office, or bedrooms. When the Roomba finishes, needs to recharge its battery, or needs to empty its 'bag', it returns to its 'home' to do what it needs to do.

Music can be played thru one, or all Alexa speakers, voice controlled, as could reading of Kindle books and publications

I just did a little bit at a time, growing here, improving there, adding, refining, learning. Anyone using Amazon's Alexa to control stuff ? Lots of possibilities, if you can free up your imagination and your thinking. Specialized skills not required. You control how much and how far you want to grow, kind of like PE.
    Dangler
    Senior Administrator
    ☼ Wizard ☼
    White Tiger Award 2015
    Last edited by Dangler; 01-09-2021, 02:57 PM.
    Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
    Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

For those technologically challenged, Alexa can also play your favorite music and answer questions
    Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
    12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
    12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
    01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
    01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
    01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
    Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Originally posted by not2big View Post
      For those technologically challenged, Alexa can also play your favorite music and answer questions
      And it's a great alarm clock. Hey is Amazon giving us money for saying stuff like is?
      The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

added in to increase the range of my dual band network, a Range extender.
        Quick, easy to add, works great.

RE450_us_V1_1018_normal_1_20150623194800.jpg

Comment

You can play Jeopardy on Alexa.
          Fat Pad = 1+/-

Comment

I have , on occasion, the need to reset my TVIsion cable tv box, by disconnecting and reconnecting its power. Being it is behind the tv, it is inconvenient.
            Today, I set up a Smart plug, with Alexa, to on vocal command , to disconnect power, count to 4, and reapply the power.

Tested ok, one less pain in the arse. What a major relief.

Comment

The ole reboot. I told a friend of mine if he see's me in the hospital hooked up to all kinds of machines about to die unplug them wait 30 seconds, and then plug in again. Hey it may work.

Comment

Fat Pad = 1+/-

Comment

Skynet...and so it begins
                  Start 7.2 x 4.8 Current 8.3 x 5.4

Comment

More parts/equipment ordered to continue development of my house into a SmartHome.

4 ea smart dimmer/switches, Gosund
                    3 ea smart on/off switches, Gosund
                    2 Antique Smart wifi bulbs

a few assorted switch plates

Comment

She also makes great animal sounds; drives my dogs nuts.

Comment

Found out today Alexa will provide weather predictions in the future. I know Seri will fart on command but can she provide future weather corcasts?
                        Fat Pad = 1+/-

Comment

Originally posted by not2big View Post
                          You can play Jeopardy on Alexa.
                          Without Alex Tribeck. What’s the point.
                          A prayer, is kinda the same as a "Like". If there are enough likes, God will take notice. So "Like" away please. My daughter needs your prayers. Thank You.

Comment

The majority of the parts and tools I ordered have arrived, to grow my Alexa 'smart home'.
                            1st task is to check all the outlets/sockets for proper wiring.
                            2nd task will be trace/label all the circuit breakers (110v) to what they control.
                            3rd task is to begin changing out outlets/switches/conventional dimmers, with 'smart switches'/'smart dimmers'.
                            4th task is to program in all the new stuff, and ascertain correct operation/labeling/scheduling, voice operation.

Swap out a few old style bulbs with nifty Edison era light bulbs,LED,dimmable
                            2200K-2400K Warm White (Amber Glass).
                            edisonbulb.jpg

Comment

Finished the install of bulbs, smart dimmers, switches, and all the necessary programming and testing. Success.

Next to do when goods arrive, is install and program AduroSmart ERIA Zigbee Home Hub/Gateway, ZigBee Motion Sensor,Wireless Dual Infrared Detector,PIR Motion Sensor, and experiment with a Shelly WiFi-operated motion sensor.

One Motion sensor will be used to detect when I enter an area and turn on/off illumination.

The other ones' future is undetermined as of yet. It might be used to:
                              1. indicate some one has approached the front door/monitor package delivery.
                              2. indicate a side access gateway, to the back yard has been opened/left unsecured.
                              3. indicate if the garage door has been left open.
                              4. indicate a vehicle has arrived in the drive way.
                              5. ??

Still looking at surveillance cameras, however they might be overkill. Kind of a curiosity item of sorts.

Comment

Working...
                              X