El Gringo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• El Gringo

It's a word that many white Americans find derogatory. It's usually not though. It just means foreigner.

The word "gringo" has been in use before the U.S. existed as a country. It was officially documented in a Spanish (Spain) dictionary in the year 1787. It comes from the Spanish word "griego" or Greek. In English we have a similar term "It's Greek to me." It means someone is speaking unintelligibly. Eventually it was used to refer to foreigners.

In Brazil, for example, everyone who isn't Brazilian is a gringo. In Mexico it's generally a white American. Other countries it can be anyone who is a foreigner and is not Latin American.

So, if you are called a gringo (or gringa), my advice is.."tranquilo" Relax, it's not a big deal.

Then again if you are walking down a street and pass some sketchy guys huddled and hear whispers of "Gringo," then yeah, keep your head on a swivel.

Anyone have a story when they were called a gringo? Or a different origin for the term?

You must realize that today people want to be offended.
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

<this post has been moderated>
      Ultimate Burrito
      Member of the Month Oct 2017
      PEGym Hero
      Last edited by Ultimate Burrito; 03-05-2021, 02:28 PM. Reason: Posts should be respectful to all members

Comment

My advice:

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.

- Theodore Roosevelt
        Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
        Recommended Routine
        2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
        BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny D View Post
          Does it really matter <moderated> find offensive? White Americans - <moderated>. How dare you!
          Like I said people just want to be offended. No one said anything about color in the opening post did they?
          Ultimate Burrito
          Member of the Month Oct 2017
          PEGym Hero
          Last edited by Ultimate Burrito; 03-05-2021, 02:32 PM. Reason: Quoted post was in violation of respect policy and required moderation.

Comment

Theres a mexican restaurant in houston called Gringos and its amaze balls. Mad gringos be in there with a big ol smile eating to their hearts content.
            03/05/2021
            6.0 NBPEL
            4.25 MEG

Goal: 7.5 NBPEL x 5.5 EG (Will settle for 7 NBPEL x 5.25 EG)

https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...gress-log.html

Comment

I worked in a Chinese owned company for a number of years. There were only four non ethnic Chinese employees in the company and we were often referred to as guilos. The term was,I assumed, used in a humorous way; however, the term can be considered pejorative. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.
              Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
              12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
              12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
              01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
              01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
              01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
              Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Try not to offend and try harder not to be offended.

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
                  You must realize that today people want to be offended.
                  I'm offended.
                  You never slow down, you never grow old!

Comment

Originally posted by not2big View Post
                    I worked in a Chinese owned company for a number of years. There were only four non ethnic Chinese employees in the company and we were often referred to as guilos. The term was,I assumed, used in a humorous way; however, the term can be considered pejorative. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.
                    Anyone remotely Asian is called "Chino" here. It's not meant in an offensive way but because the few Asian immigrants here were Chinese. Costa Rica had a good amount of Asian immigration through the 80's and 90's. There's even a small but legit chinatown there. It was interesting seeing this mix of Latin, Asian, and American culture. People speaking English, Chinese and Spanish. It was also a trip hearing Spanish spoken with a Chinese accent.

I've heard a few different stores on the word gringo. That it means "Green Go home," referring to the U.S. military during some conflict. That it came from the Irish soldiers who are invloved in South American conflicts who sung a song "Green Grow the Rushes."

I think the first time I heard it was from movies or some TV show where it usually sets up a conflict, "Hey gringo, you're in the wrong part of town, ese". lol.

Comment

Personally I'd rather be called a gingo than an asshole. See being called an asshole is personal; being called name because of skin color or origin well there's not much I can do about that and I don't find that offensive.

Comment

Why did “Oriental” become pejorative? It literally means from the east as opposed to “occidental”meaning from the west?
                        Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                        12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                        12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                        01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                        01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                        01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                        Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Most people don't know that nor do they care. Oklahoma is an Indian word meaning red skinned people. If most folks knew that we'd lose a state.

Comment

El Estupido was here...
                            Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
                            Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Dangler View Post
                              El Estupido was here...
                              Honestly, this just made me LOL
                              Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

Working...
                              X