Big Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Oil

Everyone hates the big oil companies now and I really don't understand why. Maybe some of you can enlighten me. They're hated becasue they made a billion in profit.Okay what's so bad about that; they earned it! Let's say they make a profit of 10 cents per gallon of gas they sell although I think the figure is lower. They made billions because they sold a lot of gas. Maybe if we didn't use so much they would make less money and we wouldn't be mad at them. If I sold ice cream cones at a 10 cent mark up and sold enough of them to make a billion dollar profit would everyone be mad at me?
    Gas in my area is 4 bucks a gallon. Well no it's really only $2.75 but then there are all these taxes; federal tax, state tax, local tax, and sales tax. If there were no taxes I'd be paying $2.75 a gallon. Not bad huh? Let's see; an oil company has to use very expensive machines to find the oil, then they have to did a big hole with all those pipes and things which can't be cheap; they have to get it out of the ground, send it somewhere, clean it, refine it, and then ship it back to my gas station. They do all this work and they only charge me $2.75 a gallon. I can't buy a tuna fish sandwhich for that. Maybe the oil companies are getting a bad rap.
    Oh about those taxes? Well we know that taxes are just pure profit for the government. Where does all that money go?
    ( wasn't this better than writing about dead chickens?)
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
    They do all this work and they only charge me $2.75 a gallon. I can't buy a tuna fish sandwhich for that. Maybe the oil companies are getting a bad rap.
    Oh about those taxes? Well we know that taxes are just pure profit for the government. Where does all that money go?
    Obviously, not to subsidize the tuna fish industry.
    Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
    12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
    12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
    01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
    01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
    01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
    Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

If you want to give someone a bad rap it should be the government. I work in this field, when fuel his land it is less than half of what it cost the consumers. You have land tax, highway tax and several other taxes on top of them plus what each state taxes us. A gas station is lucky to make .01 to .02 cents per gallon that they sell.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Sept 2010 BPEL 5.25 x EG 4.25
      Feb 2011 BPEL 6.5 x EG 4.65
      Oct 2011 1yr posting BPEL 7 x EG 4.8 (now time to work on girth)

Comment

Ever compared the price of a gallon of gas to a gallon of bottled water?
        Pirate Diplomacy:
        The art of telling someone to go to hell and having them look forward to the trip.

Remember: If done right, there is no such thing as safe sex.

Comment

exxon just spill loads of oil into the yellowstone river. the gulf is screwed. using this kind of fuel is unnatural.

we should not be bolstering oil, we should be investing in wind and solar power.

natural gas is even worse than oil. they are killing the world that feeds us. its happening all over near me chemical spills, rivers contaminated, drinking water that can be ignited coming out of faucets. we need to protect our world from those that would exploit it through their greed.

anyone that drills for oil could just as easily learn to build windmills.
          The force is strong with you young Skywalker. Obi Wan has trained you well.

before: 6X4.5
          now: 7X5
          next: 8X6

Comment

Originally posted by RockstarParkingDude View Post
            exxon just spill loads of oil into the yellowstone river. the gulf is screwed. using this kind of fuel is unnatural.

we should not be bolstering oil, we should be investing in wind and solar power.

natural gas is even worse than oil. they are killing the world that feeds us. its happening all over near me chemical spills, rivers contaminated, drinking water that can be ignited coming out of faucets. we need to protect our world from those that would exploit it through their greed.

anyone that drills for oil could just as easily learn to build windmills.
            couldn't agree more
            Old Gym Log - Tracking progress with the iLogPE App
            "Wherever you go, there you are. Stay sexy, my friends."

Comment

Well the only problem with wind and solar is that it's not economically feasible yet. They've been playing around with those two sources of power for over 50 years and they still can't get it so that it's affordable. Until they do we're stuck with what we have.
              As for spills, yes they happen. No company want to spill; that's money floating out there that's wasted, and it cost money to clean it up. Accidents happen but because of them we're better able to clean things up. Although not well known but every once in a while mother earth burps up a chuck of oil that needs to be cleaned all on her own. It's not always man's fault.

Comment

Wind and solar are more affordable than you think. The issue is with OPEC. It directly controls so much of the global economy that any advances that would diminsh oil production would bring about economic strain on a large number of countries that rely on that export to survive.

Comment

Well where are those companies that can make me power from wind, sun, or even cookies that's cheap enough for me to buy. I don't see them. We have an off shore wind farm being put up in my area and the power generated there will be more expensive than oil or gas for a minimum of 20 years until the equipment is paid for. It's still more expensive than gas or oil and if I'm on a fixed income I can't afford it.
                  By they way do you really think we're using oil to help protect the opec economies? Do we all hate those guys?

Comment

I don't think we all hate them - it's just the way things are.

And as with anything, whenever someone (government) decides to subsidize the equipment, it'll be affordable.

Comment

Profits are nice, but record profits every quarter even when it's reported that the amount of fuel purchased is down, is what is pissing people off. The oil speculators are worse than the oil companies though. Those guys really need to be taken out back and shot.

Though I'm more pissed at the farmers and lobbyists who keep fighting to have Ethanol put in our fuel. I'm glad their Ethanol tax bonus was taken away.

Comment

Well do you think that the profits come from overcharging? I look at the price and figure that all the work that goes into getting a gallon of gas that at $2.75 I'm getting a bargin.

Comment

Well aren't we mad at the governmement susidizing big oil and they make profits. We're mad at the farmers over the susidies that they recieve. So won't we get mad if govenment bankrolls solar or wind?

Comment

Looks like you just want to be mad at someone, huh? LOL

Comment

No not at all. I'm not too smart in some of the buisness stuff so I was hoping that some of you guys would give me a reason as to why we're mad at big oil all the time. This was me trying to get smarter.

Comment

Working...
                              X