I would like to learn acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like to learn acoustic guitar

I have always wanted to learn how to play an acoustic guitar. Does anybody have any helpfull hints or tips when I go looking for a guitar? There's a pawn shop that has a Fender DG-11 I was thinking about getting. This guitar has some scratches on it, and I don't know if it's worth the $150.00 they want for it.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Stats:

6-11-2011: nbpel 6.25, mseg 4.25
    7-7-2011: nbpel 6.5, mseg 4.5
    8-11-2011: BPEL 7, mseg 4.5
    9-11-2011: bpel 7 1/8, mseg 4 5/8

Newblood

I wouldn't mind some advice either. I was pretty good musically in school. I played the euphonium and I was in the orchestra, jazz band, brass band and the choir but I haven't really done anything since leaving school (4 years ago). I'm looking to pick music back up by learning guitar - mainly for myself, but also because this girl I like is really good at guitar and she said I should. I am prepared to spend up to a couple of hundred because I want something decent.
    Current (20/02/2012) - BPEL: 7.3" (+0.8") MEG: 4.6" (+0.3")
    Short Term Goal - BPEL: 7.5" MEG: 4.75"
    Long Term Goal - BPEL: 8.5" MEG: 5.75"
    My Log

Comment

Join this group guys

https://www.pegym.com/forums/groups/guitar-playing-pe-ers.html

I'm not an expert at acoustic but we could all help each other.
      Start : 5.5 BP/4.5 NBP x 5 MEG
      Now : 5.5 BP/4.5 NBP x 4.75ish MEG

Comment

Thanks
        Stats:

Newblood

Comment

Buy a really cheap one. If it sucks or you don't feel like playing guitar anymore, you can smash it like that dude from the Who used to do.

Comment

Go to guitar center and try some different ones before you decided a good acoustic guitar is cheap this days

Comment

Your better off going for an electro acoustic guitar, that way if you get good and want to join a bands all you gotta do is buy an amp and some effects pedals
              Start date ~ 3/8/11 as of 3/9/11

6.29Bpfsl 6.49
              5.07Bpfl 4.96
              4.5Fg 4.52
              6.29Bpel 6.49
              4.72Eg 4.92

Current goal

Anything over 7" bpel and 5" eg

Comment

Ok, don't go and buy a cheap garbage guitar or you will end up disillusioned because the strings will be too difficult to chord and the thing will always be out of tune. Now do not go and spend a shitload on a quality guitar either, in case it ends up just sitting in the corner waiting to go to a pawn shop.

The Fender for $150.00 sounds pretty good.

Start by learning how to tune the guitar and your basic chords in the most common keys and practice, practice and more practice. Go on youtube, there are a million covers and lessons which will make learning fun. Learn from others, you will enjoy the guitar more and develop much quicker.

Comment

I've been playing guitar for 35 years now and I'd recommend any decent mid-priced guitar that has a nice smooth action. This means that the distance from the strings to the frets is very small. The gap should be even all the way down the neck and the strings should be easily fretted. You'd be very well served with a Martin. As "Slow deep and hard" recommended go to guitar center and try some different things out. If you decide you like it take some lessons and one day you may have thousands of $ invested like me. Good luck with this it could be the beginning of a lifelong love affair--sort of like PE.

It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood.- K.Popper
                  Strength is the outcome of need, security sets a premium on feebleness.-Wells

Comment

I have a Fender acoustic (£70 which is what $130 or something). Middle action, not too hard to make a chord and not too low, great tone. Start with E minor and A minor then do your jelqing after.
                    6th Jan 11: NBPEL: 7" BPEL: 7 7/8" EG: 4 7/8"

29th Mar 11: NBPEL: 7" BPEL: 7 7/8" EG: 5"

24th May 12: NBPEL: 7" BPEL: 7 7/8" EG: 5.1"
                    My Progress Log

Comment

Thanks for all your information guys. I went ahead and bought the Fender. I am going to set aside 15 minutes or more everyday to practice. Thanks again for all your helpfull information. https://www.pegym.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
                      Stats:

Newblood

Comment

I have been playing since age of 5 (now 40) in classical, jazz, rock, r&b... I love playing music more than listening to the radio or CDs. Learn classical first because you will learn good playing techniques and correct fingering and hand positioning on the guitar which many not classical trained players do not do.
                        Begin 7/25/2011:
                        NBPEL 7, BPEL 7.2, MEG 5.6, BEG 6

Current 12/05/2014:
                        FL 5.25, FG 5.2
                        NBPEL 7.8, BPEL 8.1, UEG 5.75, MEG 6.25, BEG 6.7

Long:
                        UEG:MEG 6.5

https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...henewuser.html

Comment

Thanks newdude.
                          Stats: