Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gardening... on a larger scale. help needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening... on a larger scale. help needed.

I'm working on a fairly large gardening project for this coming spring and summer. I need a consult from someone who does gardening on larger scale, maybe professionally, and could help me figure out a few of the details. i have some money to throw at this project and i'd like to go as green and organic as possible. the plot of land i'll be dealing with is somewhere between a quarter and a half an acre. the idea is high yeild produce, continual harvests from late may/early june to october, and something to show off a bit. i have a nice plot with pretty good soil and sun, but aside from that i'm starting from scratch.

i know its a bit of a stretch, but we have a pretty big community here. anyone able to help with my project?
    The force is strong with you young Skywalker. Obi Wan has trained you well.

before: 6X4.5
    now: 7X5
    next: 8X6

RPD, I dabble a little with gardening. First off, I'd get a soil sample done. I go to my local feed store with my sample and according to what I'm planting, they'll let me know what it needs. I'm thinking tomatoes, cucs, squash, some of those? I always read my almanac. Go to their website, and it'll show you frost dates, best days to plant, etc. Shoot me any questions, I'll help if I can
    Be a reflection of what you'd like to see in others.
    If you want love, give love.
    If you want honesty, give honesty.
    If you want respect, give respect.
    You get in return, what you give.

Comment

thanks for the help! i think our grounds guy does all those soil tests and stuff, i'll have to talk to him.

i'm looking into building raised beds, and if anyone has any ideas for really high yeild vegetables, i would appreciate it.

i'm trying to avoid the things that a restaurtant flies through (lettuce, carrots, onions, cucumbers) and looking to grow more of the expensive produce (heirloom veg, fresh herbs, nice berries).

thanks!

Comment

Also, think about this: do you plan to start from seeds or buy small plants from a nursery. Of course if you're going for corn, okra, peas, you'll just sow seeds. However, tomatoes, cucs., squash peppers, and many more can be started indoors(if you have space) from seeds, then transferred into the ground(roughly 6 wks) so you'd have to plan ahead a little, but it's more cost effective.

Having said all that, I still go to the nursery when I'm ready to plant and buy them as plants. I'll pay a little more not to have to do the whole seed starter thing. Plus, I generally plant around 200 tomato plants, and roughly 100 peppers. Those are the only plants I buy, the rest I sow right in.

I would say the next thing you need to do is sit down and decide what you want to grow. What do and and your family eat the most of?

Check online or visit a local nursery and ask about different varities, how big the fruit/veggie will be, yields, disease tolerance, etc. It's a lot of work, but it's my passion

I have no experience with raised beds. We use a tractor, harrows, that sort of thing. Maybe someone else has experience with the beds.

Comment

Berries will take 2 years to bear fruit, one year for the plant to establish.

Basil is a great herb to grow, buy several bunches, plant, and remember to pluck the blooms daily. Rosemary is also easy to grow.

Going organic, you'll need to build a compost pile. You can jump-start the nutrients in the soil by finding a local composter and tilling it in first thing this spring. I prepped my beds in the fall using mulched leaves and grass and turning it into the soil for the winter. That spring I grabbed a truck load of matured compost from a horse stable, turned it into the soil, then planted the next week. The soil was teaming with worms as I was planting.

Not sure about veggi selection. Good luck!

Comment

thanks again for all the help!

so i guess i should be a bit more specific. i'm an incrfedibly avid gardener at home. it is one of my biggest passions. i have two 25x10 plots in my backyard and my tomato garden would make most people jealous.... unless you plant 200 plants..... lol..

at the country club where i work, everyone knows how much i love gardening because i bring in gift baskets for all my chef buddies all summer and fall long. the country club has decided to turn an unused plot into a rather large garden, it needs to be very pretty, walkways, raised boxes, maybe some flowers and fruit trees, tables and benches, etc.

Comment

Hell, Rockstar, I thought you were a Newbie at this. You got this! You need a landscaper though. As far as vegetation, I would def. do a herb box, possibly some ornamental cabbage(they're pretty). Any berries would be nice. I'm of no help with the design aspect of it

Comment

Working...
              X