Thoughts on Existence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Existence

I posted this as a note on facebook, thought I'd share it with everyone here, too. It's an atheist's perspective on existence and the sense of "self."

Before posting the note, I posted this status, which sparked some deep contemplation that resulted in the note.

-----------------------------------------

Here is the status: "Emptiness is not nothingness. Inherent existence is an illusion, and is the cause of afflictive emotions. Each of our existences is fully dependent on everything around us. In this way, it is impossible for anyone to exist in isolation, and we are never alone."

-----------------------------------------

Here is the note:
    What am I?

When I look at my arm, my hand, my foot, it is "out there." I am not my arm. I am not my hand. I am not my foot. I am centered somewhere inside my body, but the essense of "I" cannot be separated and identified.

Am I made up of this body? The parts of my body? The matter that makes up my arms, legs, head, torso? Blood, guts, brain, bones? You can put all these things together, but still have no life. This would be a dead body; form but no function. So there is something more to me than just my physical matter.

What am I?

So if my body is not me, and none of my parts are me, then what am I? I am a conglomeration of microorganisms, working in concert. But any one of these can be separated, perhaps even a few million or billion of them at a time, and I would still exist. Remove an arm, a leg, most of my intestines, and there would still be an entity that I can call "me."

But remove certain structures, and the entity that I call "me" would sputter and die: heart, liver, brain. Sometimes we have two of a certain kind, and removal of both is needed to cease my existence: lungs, kidneys. These structures perform special functions that maintain a balance in the body.

And that balance, why do we need it? I am not the body, I am not the matter that makes up my body. I am electrochemical in nature.

I am a chemical chain reaction, part of a much larger chain reaction first set in motion at the very beginning of the universe. My memories, personality, behavior, are all energy patterns stored in the molecular spaces between the matter that makes up myself. Remove certain structures, and the chemical equation is offset. The reaction stops. I die.

The matter that makes up my body has been in existence since the beginning of time. The energy that makes up my thoughts has been in existence since the beginning of time. I am not new. I am not 34 years old. I am as old as the universe itself. And so is everyone (and everything) else.

My form is temporal and temporary. My energy pattern came into existence and is reacting with everything around it. Eventually, as I interact with other forms of energy, the essence of my pattern will decay until it ceases to be. And this is the way it should be; my matter and energy freely flows from one form to another, ad infinitum.

When "I" am destroyed, my energy and matter will become part of another pattern and chain reaction. My self-awareness will cease to exist, but everything that made up "me" is certainly still around, and always will be, forever.
    Starting (3/14/2011) = 5" x 4"
    Current (7/16/2013) = 5.75" x 4.125"

Short-Term Goal = BPEL 6"
    Long-Term Goal = 7.5" x 5.5"

Are you trying to say my gains aren't real Qarzan?
    Vulcan
    7.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>8.125"BPEL (current)
    5.25 (start July 2009)>>>>>>5.75"EG (current)

Comment

Your gains are real. You are real. Remove your gains, and you're still you. Remove yourself, and your gains are no longer relevant.

Comment

If you remove my dick, I am no longer me, but I will continue to exist as somebody else who can no longer enjoy all the pleasures of life, yet I will still be able to pleasure somebody else in other ways.
        not2big
        Senior Super Moderator
        PEGym Hero
        Last edited by not2big; 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM.
        Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
        12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
        12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
        01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
        01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
        01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
        Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Interesting mix of buddhaist and taoist thought.

Comment

This train of thought was sparked by reading the book, "How to See Yourself as You Really Are" by the Dalai Lama. So his thoughts are based on Buddhism, I inserted the ideas of the chemical chain reaction. As I was reading the book, I couldn't help but notice, like you did, the similarity to Taoist frame of mind.

Comment

Pass da joint man........this is deeeeep....did you ever consider that there may be a whole universe like our own living in one grain of sand .....yes indeed just one grain of sand ....and then consider how many grains of sand there are everywhere.....now remember those unseen universes next time you are at the beach ....and you clean the sand from your scrotum.

Comment

Wow, pretty blown away by that.

I have a simple belief: The "I" is the soul and the universe itself, the "me" is "I" looking at "I". Me no longer exists. I got rid of me on one beautiful, blissful day... Me and I are one, I and I has always been one, but I needed to see it for myself. I have long since seen it, and have never been happier.

"Don't knock masturbation, it's sex with someone I love."

2nd April 2012:
                BPEL: 175mm -- BEG:5.8 inches
                NBPEL: 153mm -- MEG: 5.5 inches

Comment

I like a lot of what you said OP. However, I believe that in the semi near future man will merge with machine, to an extent and death will become a thing of the past.

Comment

Originally posted by miolner View Post
                    Pass da joint man........this is deeeeep....did you ever consider that there may be a whole universe like our own living in one grain of sand .....yes indeed just one grain of sand ....and then consider how many grains of sand there are everywhere.....now remember those unseen universes next time you are at the beach ....and you clean the sand from your scrotum.
                    Or, perhaps, we are living on a grain of sand on someone else's beach and will shortly be brushed from his scrotum.
                    Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                    12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                    12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                    01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                    01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                    01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                    Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

malehanger, if man merged with machine we would be further confined in this physical world. Wouldnt you rather flying around in the astral realm across beautiful vistas with not a care in the world? would you want a bleak dystopian future of biologically engineered humans? or would you want to experience bliss within the eternal universe? i would prefer the latter but thats just me. Existence is more than physically being.

Comment

Originally posted by Martyparty View Post
                        malehanger, if man merged with machine we would be further confined in this physical world. Wouldnt you rather flying around in the astral realm across beautiful vistas with not a care in the world? would you want a bleak dystopian future of biologically engineered humans? or would you want to experience bliss within the eternal universe? i would prefer the latter but thats just me. Existence is more than physically being.
                        Or perhaps merging man with technology could boost our overall intelligence and understanding of our being and mind to the point where we could learn to "ascend" to a higher state of being? Anything is possible. Having an intelligence that is not restricted by the human limitations would get us there.

Comment

ahhh i like what you did there malehanger hah thats a definite possibility, and when you put it that way it loses its negative feeling to me. However, dont you think we already have the intelligence? we just havent been able to harness all of its potential? unless by human limitations you mean things such as the ego, sub conscious hard wiring ect ..

Comment

So for expample by merging man with technology your suggesting that this could aid in reprogramming our minds so to speak? like CTRL ALT DLT our sub-conscious barries and preconceived notions of what we think we are haha welcome to your rebirth type of thing?please elaborate man..i want to hear your beliefs.

Comment

I feel that a human consciousness can be copied into computer media, but cannot be transferred into computer media. By this, I mean there will still be the original, and then another copy inside the computer. The original is still susceptible to biological death, whereas the copy would take on its own existence from the moment of creation; in essence, this is like cloning.

I also feel that death is a natural part of life, and it should be accepted and embraced. I definitely don't want to live forever. I want to some day vanish in order to make way for other living things to flourish.

EDIT: What happens when you transfer a file from one computer to another, is that the file is first copied and then the original file deleted. In this way, transferrence of human consciousness would operate the same; in transferring the consciousness, the original is actually destroyed/killed, and the copy is allowed to survive.
                              Qarzan
                              Last edited by Qarzan; 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X