Would you hold hands with a stranger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you hold hands with a stranger?

What would you do if a total stranger came up to you in public and tried to hold your hand? A couple of pranksters decided to find out, and posted the results on YouTube. Call it an in-depth study of PDA -- Public Displays of Awkwardness.

"Today we're going to walk close to people and hold their hand -- or try to hold their hand," says host and hand-holder Andrew Hales of the Utah-based group. They upload new videos every Monday. He looks like a totally normal guy -- blond hair cut close, khaki shorts, dark blue striped polo shirt, black-rimmed glasses. When people notice that he's the one slipping his hand into theirs, they look like they don't quite know what to think. More than 1.4 million have watched the weird, funny, sweet clip on YouTube - and counting.

Most people pulled their hands away, startled. A few guys looked repulsed. Some girls seem annoyed. But still, others smile and greet him warmly. No one smacks him -- at least, if someone did, the slap didn't make it into the edited video -- which makes this silly social experiment a cringeworthy success.

Holding People's Hand - YouTube

I'm sort of curious to try this myself at the neighboring college campus, a few people have said it would be different if this were a black person doing this. Thoughts?
    Restart [4/17/16] 7.5 BPSFL • 7.25 BPEL • 5.125 USEG • 5.75 MSEG • 6.25 BSEG (not valid)
    Goal 1 [7/17/16] 7.75 BPSFL • 7.5 BPEL • 5.25 USEG •
    6 MSEG • 6.25 BSEG

I don't think you should do it. People could get angry. I hate people I'm not familiar with coming anywhere close to me, or putting their arm on my shoulder. I don't care if they're friendly or not. If it's a male who approaches me and tries to hold my hand, I definitely won't like it. If it's a female I wouldn't have a problem with it, but even then it could be a set up, so I just wouldn't accept it from anyone.

Comment

That makes sense, I'd rather not get in trouble with the law. Some of his other videos just make me laugh though, the level of fake awkwardness, it's great
      Restart [4/17/16] 7.5 BPSFL • 7.25 BPEL • 5.125 USEG • 5.75 MSEG • 6.25 BSEG (not valid)
      6 MSEG • 6.25 BSEG

Comment

I don't really like physical contact, but I can handle handshakes and anything below a wrist.... I'd be confused as hell and go somewhere else.
        Start: BPEL: 17,5 cm | EG: ~15 cm
        Current: BPEL: 19 cm | EG: ~15 cm
        Goal: BPEL: 22-23 cm | EG: 17-18cm with big glans.

Goal is more of a look issue than a number issue. I prefer girth over length. And hopefully girls will to...

Comment

Thanks Koh, this guy is great! subscribed to him
          Lvl1 : BPEL 6,70" | EG 4,85"| EQ: 6-7 (current)
          Lvl16:BPEL 7,50" | EG 5,25"| EQ:8-9 (mid term)
          Lvl36:BPEL 8,00" | EG 5,75"| EQ:9-10 (long term)

Comment

Interesting video. Reminds me of a Jack Vale prank, in which he would play the role of a salesman and then hold his customers' hands for the entire duration of the sale. (Had to stop watching those prank vids - too addicting!)
            I am no longer an active member on the PEGym.
            Nice Guy blog posts

"It's either 6:15 or Mickey has a hard-on" - George Carlin

Comment

Yeah, I enjoy watching this guy's videos. I think I'll do some of these pranks myself. Of course that ones that don't invade personal space like the unwarranted hand holding.

His other's don't seem to do that much, I could get away with those.
              6 MSEG • 6.25 BSEG

Comment

I had a guy hold my hand and not let go, I regert not savegly attacking him for his assult. This sort of assult is prevalent because people get away with it .
                Pegasus
                Administrator
                PE Gym Editor
                PEGym Hero
                Admin of the Month Mar 2015
                Last edited by Pegasus; 06-15-2012, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Making fools of people trying to go about there lives unmolested is not at all funny btw.

Comment

We all have a sort of "bubble" around us that we consider our personal space. For some that bubble is larger for others smaller, but we all have it. Just having a stranger invade that space by being there, never mind physical contact, will make most of us uncomfortable. Heck, most of us only accept it when it's a friend or family member that invades that space. Acquaintances and co-workers, not so much.

Expect negative reactions to be the norm. The range of negative reactions could be huge, from just pulling away to possible violence. I wouldn't try it at all. You have nothing to gain by pissing people off by invading their space and messing with them.
                    Starting stats
                    April 3, 2012
                    BPEL - 6"
                    EG - 6"

Comment

I think it's really cute, but if you do end up doing it, make sure you have a good reason to. The problem I see with holding random people's hands is how it is pointless. unless you have a good sentiment attached to it, i wouldn't do it.

I like the idea though. I think it's adorable. There was this one girl at 0.44 where holding her hand just totally made her day. If someone came up to me and held my hand, I would be confused enough to just let it happen and see where it went. I'm not afraid of being molested though, so it wouldn't be a big deal to me.
                      Other people have been hurt, abused or molested and coming up and touching them, or grabbing them, even if it's something as innocent as holding their hand, can bring up those memories and associated fears. While no one may be hitting you, you may certainly inspire negative feelings in others, and that's not something I would ever encourage you to do. Just look at Pegasus' post.

Check out free hugs on youtube.
                      "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
                      Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
                      Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
                      As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

He should make one in harlem or the deep south.. where he would probably be killed.

Comment

Yeah, I thought the idea was innocently adorable. I mean, people would react differently if it was a cute girl or little kid doing this same act.

I just didn't realize that this many people were so closed off in relation to personal space. Then again, I guess I'm just more open in general, at least with strangers and friends. I'm the complete opposite with family, so I'm just a weird case in general.

But yes, simple things like these could bring back bad memories for certain people, so I could see where this would be a bad idea.
                          6 MSEG • 6.25 BSEG

Comment

Maybe if they hugged me first?

Comment

The idea of holding hands with strangers isn't the bad idea. The bad part comes in when you invite yourself into their personal space. It's intrusive.

Maybe if you stood in a public space and held a sign, "free walk with hand holding." If you invite people to hold your hand, you will get a different response from people.
                              Just like the free hugs. If you were to walk up to a stranger and hug them, you will probably be met with hostility and general negativity. But if you invite people to a hug, you will get a much more positive reaction.

I think it's a good idea if you approach it from the right angle.
                              "Know the rules well, so that you may properly break them" - The Dalai Lama
                              Do not criticize the seed for not yet being a tree.
                              Character is destiny - Sigmund Freud
                              As long as I have breath in my lungs, I will make this happen

Comment

Working...
                              X