I don't get it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't get it.

Okay so I was having a bit of rum last night reading the paper. I am so glad I didn't give rum up for Lent. There was a lengthy article about the new bridge the state of NY is going to build over the Hudson River to replace the falling down TappanZee Bridge. Oh it's going to cost a couple of billion dollars to build ( gee where are they going to get that money huh?). They had quotes from all the politicians and the design firms touting that the bridge will last a hundred years before it needs to be replaced. Thank God I won't be around to have to pay for the next one.

Now rum does a funny thing to me;it makes me think. It was under the influence of rum years ago I realized that I was not of Italian descent; you see everybody beats up Italy. Now when Italians were Romans nobody meesed with us for hundreds of years did they? So I decided I am of Roman descent so everyone would be afraid of me. Besides being tough bastards Romans built a lot of stuff. They didn't have computers or modern materials but they were able to build things that have lasted thousands of years. To this day in Italy there are still Roman bridges in use that carry cars and trucks all day and they haven't been changed in 2000 thousand years. If a Roman architecht told his emperor that that bridge he was going to build for him would only last a hundred years he would have been thrown to the lions. How could they do it and us modern folk can't?
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Ya know it's funny, I have been thinking about this question on and off since I read it a couple of days ago, and I cannot come up with one logical explanation.
    youforme93
    Last edited by youforme93; 02-25-2013, 09:58 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

It creates jobs i guess. Very ineteresting to think about though.

This reminds me, i thinks it time for a glass of sailor jerrys.

Comment

Usually when I see something that doesn't make sense, I look at it in terms of money, and 99% of the time, it then makes sense.
        Ezek. 23:20 "with genitals as large as a donkey's and emissions like those of a horse."

BPEL 7.75
        EG 6.0
        BPFL 4.9
        FG 4.75
        BPFSL 7.75

"Speak softly and carry a big dick."

Comment

How many times in those 2000 years did those old Roman bridges have to be repaired? How many times were they destroyed during wartime for strategic purposes and then rebuilt? How many wars have there been in Europe from 400 BC until today?
          Starting (3/14/2011) = 5" x 4"
          Current (7/16/2013) = 5.75" x 4.125"

Short-Term Goal = BPEL 6"
          Long-Term Goal = 7.5" x 5.5"

Comment

It seem to me that people back then were on a whole other level with creating stone buildings
            look at the pyramid and the maya pyramid .
            those structures last for 100 and 100 of years.
            and our modern day building collapses with age.
            I Believe they are using cheap material .

I watch a documentary about hemp and the use it can do.
            they mention mixing Hemp to build house and they say it is way stronger and last for hundreds of year then the modern day concrete.
            Main Goal
            BPEL 7

EG 5

ultimate goal
            BPEL 8
            EG 6

guinness world record

BPEL 14.5
            EG 8 lol JK

Comment

The person who could replicate the concrete the Romans used would be wealthy beyond his imagination.

Engineers could build something that will last centuries but the cost would be astronomical and no-one would want to pay for it.

Lastly, one common thing the Roman, Greek, and Egyptian buildings share is slavery, immense brutality, and complete disregard for the life of slaves.

If you have the chemical know-how, the political will to spend, and the ability to replace any slaves who have the unfortunate luck to die instead of work, you can do a lot.

Comment

I have 3 word for you from good old Massachusetts: "The Big Dig" When the government builds something, it's crap.

If the politicians would get fired for F'ing up the project (it turns out to be junk and costs ten times more than originally stated).
                (Late 1999): 6" BPEL x 5.25" MSEG
                (Early 2001): 7" BPEL x 5.75"MSEG (mostly Hanging/Jelqing)
                Aug 16th 2015: 7.375" BPEL x 6" MSEG
                Goal: I have retired from PE - So my goal is just maintaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Revolved View Post
                  It creates jobs i guess. Very ineteresting to think about though.

This reminds me, i thinks it time for a glass of sailor jerrys.
                  That's exactly it. It creates jobs and stimulates our indecisive economy......the ancient Romans I don't think cared if they had a recession and millions of over spending people lost their homes and worldly possessions. They just built shit to last.

Take for instance the modern car............by all accounts and from a safety perspective, they're ALOT safer than they ever used to be...........they're also built like complete shit and not intended to last more than 5-7 years tops before needing replacing. It's ALL done to generate jobs and keep the economy floating. You put any older car with chrome bumpers against one of these modern era piles of crap and I know who I'm bettin' on.....and it isn't the modern one.......
                  It's a tough job being good looking and hung :-)

Comment

You can build things to last and still have an economy that grows.

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
                      You can build things to last and still have an economy that grows.
                      (Late 1999): 6" BPEL x 5.25" MSEG
                      (Early 2001): 7" BPEL x 5.75"MSEG (mostly Hanging/Jelqing)
                      Aug 16th 2015: 7.375" BPEL x 6" MSEG
                      Goal: I have retired from PE - So my goal is just maintaining.

Comment

Back in the day things were built to last, now they are built to make money. The money that is made is put into the pockets of the rich. It is a way to keep the poor poorer and the middle class on their way to poverty. The whole set up is not designed to help us grow.
                        Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

Alan Watt (cuttingthroughthematrix) has the painful answer & he communicates it very well... Google him!
                          02/10/12: NBPEL: 6,75" (17cm) MidEG: 4,75" (12cm)
                          04.04.13:
                          NBPEL: 7.25" (18,4cm) MidEG: 5" (12,7cm)

Comment

So I'm driving down the interstate in Washington and grooving to my Ipod. I go over a bridge and suddenly it's not there;I'm swimming. Not that I mind the water, although my car doesn't like it much, but my Ipod hates it. Bridges built by Romans 2000 years ago don't do that. If they did the emperor would have the guys head. I wonder if anyone will be held responsible. Nah, the bridge was old, almost 60. Man have we advanced!

Comment

Cusp for president of the world...
                              Cause I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite :boxing::aikido:

Got nine lives...used six already!! :angel:

Comment

Working...
                              X