combat sports with martial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• combat sports with martial

Some combat sports have attached martial versions .
    The advantage is obvious ,combat sports provide full contact training in a intense evviroment and are martial training in their own right . For those going into such things like law enforcement or military, further training can be no holds bared . So for instance there is sport and combat Sambo. There used to be combat Sumo. Many Martial artists cross train in wrestling,boxing, kickboxing and Judo.

Judo is particularly interesting .
    The "Olympic" version is a combat sport and has many rules designed to prevent injury.The Katas provide some martial guidence ,atemi waza the striking of weak ponts etc.
    Early in Judo's development Kano( the founder of Judo) caused to be formed a subgroup called Kosen ,they still exist and they compete in normal Judo tournaments, but also have their own tournaments with different rules. It was a Kosen who taught the early Gracie's, leading to the formation of BJJ. To this day many BJJ players crosstrain in Judo and for that matter some Judoka train in BJJ or MMA.
    There is also the little known and somewhat secretive martial art of Godo. Kano was also one of it's founders and it is usually entered from Judo. It is popular in Japan for Judoka going into law enforcement, it is not a sport and contains many technique that could be deadly. It is designed in such a way as a strong background in Judo can be made more martial ,also contain karate and jujitsu style techniques.

I wonder if anyone has designed a martial follow on for mma.?
    Pegasus
    Administrator
    PE Gym Editor
    PEGym Hero
    Admin of the Month Mar 2015
    Last edited by Pegasus; 05-28-2013, 02:49 AM.

It is popular in Japan for Judoka going into law enforcement, it is not a sport and contains many technique that could be deadly.

I get it, stuff like CKM and systema? Not to forget JKD which was a kind of primitive MMA.
    Cause I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite :boxing::aikido:

Got nine lives...used six already!! :angel:

Comment

Kano and the early Judoka had strong backgrounds in Ju jitsu . However many Ju jitsu techniques were not suitable for inclusion in Judo, At the same time they were mulling this over, the early Karateka arrived in mainland Japan. Thus Kano impressed by what he saw in Karate, incporated with the help of the early judoka and karateka a system to incorparate these techniques. As Judo may be simplisticly termed the soft way ,(many will laugh at this translation) Godo may be termed the hard way. Judo implies flowing with the universe ,Godo implies imposing ones will on it.

Comment

This is very interesting. When I was younger, I attended Northwest Yudanshakai, and at the time was run by Sensei Rice (real name). He was supposedly a Deishi in the lineage from Jigoro Kano.

For being called "the gentle way" and a "sport", the Judo these guys knew was no joke. I once got to spar with Sense Rice's Deishi. I made a half step, and he put me flat on my back in 2 seconds. I didn't even know what happened, still don't. The experienced guys have a ridiculous sense of balance, and manipulation thereof.
        Going an inch and 1/2 deeper than before

Comment

Yes .
          Yudanshakai would translate something like group of fighting black belts . Many clubs have such groups within them, it is an interesting name for a club.

Comment

I suppose that would make sense. There were two Judo Masters who were also very good at Jiu jitsu, an Aikido Master, and a high black belt in Kung Fu (not sure if he was a master).

A small group, including myself, was chosen to learn and perform the Nage-no-kata (a great honor). It was a very strict, "dance-like" display of technique.

Wow, those are some memories.

Comment

I had to do Nage no kata for gradings, never liked it though lol. So you were in a display team by the sounds? I have even seen kata competions but they are not as popular in Judo as they are Karate.

Comment

Yes, a display team. It wasn't for advancement, but a compliment in it's own right to be chosen. The sparring with the other Sensei was a "gift" for advancing, but I think there was a lesson of humbling there, lol.

Comment

Did you do a lot of competions?

Comment

We did a few in house, and I went to a few tournaments. The largest was Seiki Kan, that was a big one.

One of the coolest things though, was when we had visitors from overseas. I met a great Romanian kid that was excellent. And there was this other girl, a few years older than me, who demolished everyone she sparred with, but barely spoke English. I kind of had a crush on her, lol.

Comment

The east europeans often have a very different style much influnced by sambo.

Comment

Ahh, yes, I had to look that up. Her mat work was impressive, so that explains it. Of course, since I had the crush, it's not like I tried real hard when she pinned me (at least that's what I tell myself ).

Thanks for bringing up some great memories Pegasus!

Comment

Welcome.

Comment

For those that are unaware sambo was formed from a combination of Judo and russian wrestling styles. It has both combat and sport forms . Again many sambo players crosstrain in Judo and visa versa especially in eastern europe and the former soviet .

Comment

The rules of Judo were changed a few years ago as Sambo was having such influence .

Godo seems to have become more secretive and for a large martial art keeps a very low profile.

Anyone know what is happening with it these days?

Comment

Working...
                              X