Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The BIG investing thread

Anyone into investing?

I'd love to learn since I have extra cash every month not being put to good use. Any tips?
    Started seriously on 4/8/13
    5.75" NBPEL X 4.4" EG
    6.5" BPEL x 4.4" EG

6/1/13
    6.75" BPEL x 4.5" EG
    6/27/13
    6.87" BPEL x 4.45" EG
    7/3/13
    7" BPEL x 4.45" EG
    6.125" NBPEL x 4.45" EG

Long Term Goal: 7" NBPEL X 5.5" EG

Comment

» 2012 S&P Dividend Aristocrats - Bargaineering

dividend aristocrats keeps a list of companies which have both increased in value and paid a dividend each year for the last 30 yrs. This is a pretty solid stable of investments.

I'm invested in a couple other companies who are well established in their particular niche and are taking steps to address future demands. (SANW, YUM!)

I'm also tracking the companies which create 3D printers, but they are really volatile. (DDD, SSYS, XONE)

The best tip is to not try to game the market. Find solid companies, set your regular investment amount, and keep investing. If you worry about timing the market, odds are you will lose big. If you invest on a regular schedule, you'll buy more when the stock is at a discount and buy less when it is over priced. (paraphrased from my thesis)

If you do not have a retirement account, start a ROTH IRA before you start an investment account on your own. If you're over 50 then you'll want to take a close look at the impact a traditional IRA will have on your taxes.

Comment

I buy houses and rent them out. 15-20% annual ROI on rents alone, if you buy all cash. These are conservative strategy numbers. Can easily make 100-200% ROI if you take greater risks.

Sure beats the hell out of stocks, where a really good year yields 10-12%.
        Starting (3/14/2011) = 5" x 4"
        Current (7/16/2013) = 5.75" x 4.125"

Short-Term Goal = BPEL 6"
        Long-Term Goal = 7.5" x 5.5"

Comment

PLUS: real estate is inflation proof: as the dollar devalues, the value of the property increases to reflect this. Also cost-of-living proof for the same reason. And there are insane tax incentives for real estate companies.

There is also no need to save for retirement if you invest in real estate: the rental income will never stop, unless the house is destroyed (that's why I have insurance, so I can rebuild it) or the region becomes abandoned (that's why I research the industry in the area).
          Starting (3/14/2011) = 5" x 4"
          Current (7/16/2013) = 5.75" x 4.125"

Short-Term Goal = BPEL 6"
          Long-Term Goal = 7.5" x 5.5"

Comment

I bought a house in Phoenix for my son and paid $157,000 in 2007. When I tried to refinance it in 2010, it was appraised for $95,000. Thankfully, my son pays enough rent to cover the mortgage. According to Zillo, it is now worth about $125,000.

I like the S&P Aristocrat list. If the company offers a divided reinvest plan, you can buy one share of the stock and buy future shares at little or no fee and have the dividend automatically reinvested into shares of the stock.

I bought 100 shares of a utility about 25 years ago and signed up for the divend reinvestment program. I now own about 1000 shares but never laid out any more money.
            not2big
            Senior Super Moderator
            PEGym Hero
            Last edited by not2big; 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM.
            Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
            12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
            12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
            01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
            01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
            01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
            Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

I bought in california in dec '06...didn't go well.

buying real-estate and renting is like having another job or paying someone else to do that job. There are some benefits, but if you don't have the capital to purchase rental properties, then dividend aristocrats will be a good place to start.

Just to review the order:
              1. Employer matched 401K up to the maximum matched amount (if it is available)
              2. ROTH IRA (unless you really, really need the tax breaks from a traditional IRA
              3. ROTH 401K (if it is available and the tax breaks are not essential)
              4. Direct investment into companies from the Dividend Aristocrats (build up a diversified folder then maintain investment ratios)
              5. Brokerage investment into companies from the dividend aristocrats
              6. Diversify, this could include precious metals, real-estate, bonds, T-bills.

Comment

I can't stress enough for the younger crowd on this forum to set aside as much as you can, as early ( read young ) as you can. Put it away and don't even think about touching it! When you're young, most of us find it hard to think about 20 or 30 years down the road, but the more you put away when you're in your early years the earlier you just might be able to retire and enjoy life. Retiring at 55 or 60 beats the hell out of working until you croak.

Comment

The following is an example of two individuals who decide to invest $3000 a year in an IRA earning an average of 8% a year; however, one waits eight years before beginning the program:

Age......Investor 1 ........ Investor 2
                  21..........$3,000................0
                  25.........$17,600...............0
                  28.........$31,910...........$3,000
                  30.........$42,460...........$9,737
                  40........$132,286.........$64 496
                  50........$339,870........$182,680
                  60........$722,170........$437,832
                  65.....$1,566,517........$657,955

As you can see, it makes a big difference if you delay8 years before starting an investment program. Remember investor 1 only invested $21,000 more than investor 2 over the same time frame.
                  Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                  12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                  12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                  01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                  01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                  01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                  Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

I applaud your wisdom.I have been thinking along similar lines.Mutual funds for me.
                    Cause I'm TNT, I'm Dynamite :boxing::aikido:

Got nine lives...used six already!! :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by not2big View Post
                      The following is an example of two individuals who decide to invest $3000 a year in an IRA earning an average of 8% a year; however, one waits eight years before beginning the program:

Age......Investor 1 ........ Investor 2
                      21..........$3,000................0
                      25.........$17,600...............0
                      28.........$31,910...........$3,000
                      30.........$42,460...........$9,737
                      40........$132,286.........$64 496
                      50........$339,870........$182,680
                      60........$722,170........$437,832
                      65.....$1,566,517........$657,955

As you can see, it makes a big difference if you delay8 years before starting an investment program. Remember investor 1 only invested $21,000 more than investor 2 over the same time frame.

Ahh...the magic of compounding returns. Guys in their twenties (yes, that's right) should take careful note of this illustration.
                      Just a regular dick on a forum all about guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Steneo View Post
                        Ahh...the magic of compounding returns. Guys in their twenties (yes, that's right) should take careful note of this illustration.
                        I think it was Einstein who said it is the eight world wonder.

Comment

This thread is so relevant to what is going on my head for some time. Have some money but I have no idea what to do with it.
                          Start(11.24.11) BPEL 6 7/8 EG 4 7/8
                          Current stats

Comment

Originally posted by arkham View Post
                            This thread is so relevant to what is going on my head for some time. Have some money but I have no idea what to do with it.
                            Give it to me I'll 'look after it' hehe

Comment

Originally posted by OneEyedWilly View Post
                              I can't stress enough for the younger crowd on this forum to set aside as much as you can, as early ( read young ) as you can. Put it away and don't even think about touching it! When you're young, most of us find it hard to think about 20 or 30 years down the road, but the more you put away when you're in your early years the earlier you just might be able to retire and enjoy life. Retiring at 55 or 60 beats the hell out of working until you croak.
                              I so WISH I had done this.................I'm still aiming to retire when I'm 55-60 but I will have to watch my pennies after that point......sucks but it is what it is.....
                              It's a tough job being good looking and hung :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X