Job hunt, Credit report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job hunt, Credit report

Wow, where to begun. I have a Large amount of student loan debt.In 45 out of the 50 states most companies pull your credit report. While my credit score is good, my credit report shows the massive amount of student loans I have.
    My issues are
    1. The degree I have from the last college does nothing for me. The University Misrepresented themselves.
    2. Can't return back to any college because of loans being Maxed out.
    3. Retail & restaurants stores won't give me a chance.
    4. Each time i think I'm getting close I lose out to someone with a Criminal record (Note: I have NO criminal background)
    5. i have a nice part time job but its only a small amount of hours (Which cannot increase)

I'm at a lose of words, at this point in my life I never thought I would be here.

Any Advice??? Thanks!!!

Have you tried to get a student loan consolidation loan? Forbearance? Discover card has a great student loan department if your score is good they offer new loans and consolidation loans at a good rate.

Degree: Contact a few colleges. Present your transcripts and see what you would need to do to get another degree. Many times you can take just a few online classes to get a second degree at a different college. Then you can use that one to promote yourself rather than the defunct college.

PM me for more info or to bat some ideas around. Good luck!
    The Dick is the Best Toy Ever!

Comment

Well my loans aren't in default yet, they're due in April. I've looked into a few 2 year health care programs but, they do not give me credit for many key classes. I believe Discover is Private student loans which I'm have zero of. However most community colleges don't accept private student loans.

Comment

You do not need to be in default for consolidation. Forbearance is a request you make to all student loan companies requesting that you do not repay the debt until your budget allows it and/or you are within four years of having graduated with a degree.

What you don't know will hurt you. Best to actually call and find out.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks again. I guess my real problem is employment.

Comment

Right you and a few other million Americans. But you need to make yourself look as polished and slick as possible. You clearly have a problem with your debt so make it look better by consolidating it. Then maybe get one or two other cards. Charge $50 or less per month and pay it in full. This will keep your history going, credit score high and show those looking you have the ability to actually manage credit.

I have never heard of someone being in a college long enough to earn a full degree that is useless. Not sure how they duped you for two to four years (its okay no need to explain) but to you this is a real challenge. I guess if I was your potential employer and you told me that, the reason I would not hire you would not be that you were duped by a college but that you stayed long enough/wasted all that time. If you found out the last few semesters of your final degree year then I would not mention the dupe at all. Actually, I would not list the college name at all, just the degree or under education list the classes.

benefits.gov has great links.

Good luck

Comment

I haven' read this book, but a friend of mine was totally wrapped up about it! Look up "I will teach you to be reach". It gives you all kinds of advices on how to spend money, how to save money and how to increase the amount. It also teaches you how you can get a really high job with a few tricks. It costs about 10 bucks, but I believe if you have trouble with the economy this is well spend money.

Also I would advice you to go talk with your bank about the student loans, how you can pay them off easier and so on. At least in Finland banks are very helpful at this. I guess Finland is a good country on this aspect. All students get student financial aids and housing financial aid which covers up about 100% of your regular costs as food and renting costs.

Good luck mate!
              “I keep six honest serving men (they taught me all i knew); Theirs names are What and Why and When And How And Where and Who.” - Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Finland is known as having a very good education system , from memory it also has a higher standard of living than the U.S.
                Hmm what about state subsidised medical care? Hmm unemployment benifits ? Hmm gun control?

How old are you goal? So lots of jobs don't requirea degree are you applying for them too?
                Pegasus
                Administrator
                PE Gym Editor
                PEGym Hero
                Admin of the Month Mar 2015
                Last edited by Pegasus; 10-28-2013, 05:23 AM.

Comment

When I was desperate for work and was gonna lose my car, I left out my education and got a 'dumb' job.

I kept my car and later worked at a temp agency. The company that I work through bought out my temp contract and hired me.
                  PE is a lot like sex. First you have to find your technique, rotate your routine, and then plan on it taking a while. Then you will find satisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by DaddyDick View Post
                    When I was desperate for work and was gonna lose my car, I left out my education and got a 'dumb' job.

I kept my car and later worked at a temp agency. The company that I work through bought out my temp contract and hired me.
                    After targeting a "dumb" job and losing out to a felon, it's even more depressing.
                    I may have to give up what I have now to work at a temp agency.

Comment

Originally posted by goal_of_8inches View Post
                      After targeting a "dumb" job and losing out to a felon, it's even more depressing.
                      I may have to give up what I have now to work at a temp agency.
                      One of the best employees I ever had came from a temp agency. That is probably a very good move. I'd recomend that you make it very clear to your temporary employers that you are conscientious, hard working, honest and seeking permanent employment. Good luck and keep a positive attitude.
                      Some time let's talk about college degrees and their "usefulness." I also have one of those.

It is impossible to speak in such a way that you cannot be misunderstood.- K.Popper
                      Strength is the outcome of need, security sets a premium on feebleness.-Wells

Comment

LOL, Thanks!!! trying to keep a positive outlook.

Comment

Working...
                        X