Knee replacement???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee replacement???

Need advise. Anyone ever had their knee replaced, how long did it last, how long was recovery and therapy. How bad did it hurt. How did it effect your PE???? I kneed both of mine done. I'm in ALOT of pain despite every three month cortizone injections. Never thought I'd look forward to them. I can't afford the time off for rehap but will end up in a wheel chair soon. But the worse part is I feel like I'm not a man in front of my wife anymore, I'm the butt of her jokes, which I make light of but hurt me deeply. Can't say I blaming her. I guess I'm just a woos and should suck it up.
    A prayer, is kinda the same as a "Like". If there are enough likes, God will take notice. So "Like" away please. My daughter needs your prayers. Thank You.

I have a friend who is currently geting his knees done. Is that any hep?

Comment

Plan for a day of surgery, perhaps 2-3 weeks of recovery, 2-4 months of PT (shorter if you are a good patient). I have not had it but I believe this is the timeline my wife worked as a PT assistant.

Is your wife making fun of your knee pain? That is not cool.

Comment

If you are having both knees they usually do them seperately . How old are you?

Comment

My mother had both her knees done a few years ago. Her knees were so bad that she was in wheelchair, she had absolutely no cartilage left and the knee joint was bone-on-bone so extremely painful. They did her knees a week apart because spacing the surgeries further than that would have hindered recovery of the operated leg. Things that I learned from that:
          - They'll have you up walking the day after surgery
          - It will hurt, but according to my mother the pain of the recovery was far less than her pre-op knee pain
          - DO THE EXERCISES THEY GIVE YOU! They should give you not only some post-op physio but also some exercises to do at home. DO THEM. Religiously. Many people complain about the exercises and don't want to do them because it hurts. What then ends up happening is that scar tissue forms under the incision and adheres to the muscle underneath, thereby reducing the range of motion and also causing people some discomfort. Doing the exercises will not only help the muscles to regain the strength they'll need but also help prevent the scar tissue from adhering to them.
          - Vitamin E oil is fantastic. If you can get the bottled stuff, Costco here has it. This was recommended by the nurse in the hospital for 2 reasons - one is to help the appearance of the scar tissue and another is that gently but firmly rubbing the oil over the incision forces the skin the move which also keeps the scar tissue from adhering to the muscle underneath.
          -You won't be able to kneel after your operation. If your knees are that bad right now then chances are you can't at the moment anyway. In theory you CAN kneel with prosthetic knees but it's very painful. The prosthetics are put in place by drilling holes into your leg bones that posts on the knees then fit into, so when you kneel on them the pressure goes right up into the bone. I understand it's a very not pleasant sensation.

I actually went to my mother's house and did her exercises with her 3x a day for a few months, it was so effective that she never did need to go for actual physiotherapy. Her knees are 100% now and she's so thankful she had the operations.

I should add that her doctor said that while the majority of the recovery time is over within a few months the actual internal healing of it can take 18 months or more. Which isn't meant to be discouraging, in fact it's just the opposite - if you find after 6 months or so that you're not really feeling 100% with them yet then keep in mind that there's still healing going on and the process isn't finished yet.
          Qandisa
          Member of the Month March 2016
          Last edited by Qandisa; 09-30-2014, 09:21 AM.

Comment

My wife had two knee replacements one year apart from each other. I totally agree with Quandisa. She was up the next day to start her exercises despite the pain. However, she walked out of the hospital three days later while the lazy patients were still in wheelchairs.
            Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
            12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
            12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
            01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
            01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
            01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
            Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Thanks guys. Sorry it took me awhile to respond. Have had a crazy couple of days. Yes I'm bone on bone with arthritis to boot. I'm 52 and having the best sex with my wife ever, especially after the inch gain I've had over the last 8 months. Last part of my problem, don't want to give her up for so long or stop gaining. But yes the pain is bad, very bad today. On top of that just got a hot tub I won't get to use much, even after the stitches heal. Damn
              A prayer, is kinda the same as a "Like". If there are enough likes, God will take notice. So "Like" away please. My daughter needs your prayers. Thank You.

Comment

Working...
              X