Determinism or Free Will?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determinism or Free Will?

Are we truly in control of our choices and lives, or is everything we do ultimately the result of external factors? Thoughts?

Haha, I actually have a degree in philosophy and this is a heavily debatable subject. If we knew all the physical facts would we know the future facts? Well yes it seems so. But then there is spontaneity in the universe... but does this give us free will? well no, if im conditioned to go to place a but my brains spontaneously makes me go to be that's no my choice that's the result of some spontaneous event at a quantum level. When I studied buddhism at the end I seemed to disagree with determinism however, can't remember why though aha.

Comment

I am determined to excersizes my free will.
      ALL THE WAY WITH GOOD OLE JAY!

Comment

It is a little bit of a combination of both. It is the eternal nature versus nurture debate. Is there an inherent evil gene, would someone who grows up to be a terrorist or a murderer or a rapist have grown up to do these actions if they were raised differently or would some cognitive, genetic or inherent trait have made them do these things also. It is an area that is full of controversy and debate, because on the one hand new scientific evidence is coming out all of the time about genetic traits that cause murderers to be murderers, and there is a specific cognitive defect that is seen is psychopaths, and how come certain groupings of individuals with mental disorders have similar or same personality traits and characteristics. However, even those with similar characteristics and traits (determined), will largely differ depending on their environment also. However, individuals can get treatment, they can see counsellors, they can channel what they were born with or determined to be into something else out of their own choice and will to do so. Despite how the literature is often described in this area, it is not an either/or decision to a large extent.

Anyway, what has you asking this question? What are your thoughts on it?
        League of Legends ​/ Top Performers / Pull the Chute

My Log / KITJ / KITV / Phallosan Tips / 2014 Challenge Statistics

Comment

When we become aware of something, we gain a sense of mastery and control over it. The higher our level of consciousness, the greater our control. However, genetics- like environmental factors- are beyond the control of the individual. Therefore, it seems that we have no control over the scope of our awareness or level of our consciousness. While individuals can have a sense of personal control in the moment based on their level of of awareness or consciousness, how they arrived at that degree of awareness or consciousness seems to be the result of genetic or environmental factors beyond their control.

Basically, in the moment, there is a continuum of control based on one's level of consciousness, but random factors ultimately decide how conscious, how aware- and in control- an individual will be.

Comment

Originally posted by corky92 View Post
            Haha, I actually have a degree in philosophy and this is a heavily debatable subject. If we knew all the physical facts would we know the future facts? Well yes it seems so. But then there is spontaneity in the universe... but does this give us free will? well no, if im conditioned to go to place a but my brains spontaneously makes me go to be that's no my choice that's the result of some spontaneous event at a quantum level. When I studied buddhism at the end I seemed to disagree with determinism however, can't remember why though aha.
            I also studied philosophy,and have taught it.

My mind is ticking over,and I will return,as McArthur said about something -or -other.

Comment

Old debat indeed
              Personally, I don't really believe in Free will. I have trouble seeing how we can conceive life independantly of the succession of causes that lead us since we're born. At a larger scale, we are massively influenced by our environnement... There is even some evidence that our genes could have an effect over our behavior. There is a difference between thinking that we're free and being free.

Science could actually be really useful to deepen (does this word even exist ? ) this question, whether it is neurobiology or quantum mechanics.
              30/03/2015 => 6.3 inches Bpel
              4.7 inches girth at the base, and 4.9 at max

22/10/2015 =>
              NBPEL : 6.1 inches
              6,9 inches Bpel ( +0,6)
              4.9 inches at the base, 5.2 at max (+ 0,3)

First goal : 7.1 x 5.3

Comment

do you look both ways before crossing the street?

Comment

Aliens. They are everywhere.
                  Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
                  Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

Working...
                  X