Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Americans are always addicted to something ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Americans are always addicted to something ?

This is a topic I usually talk about with my friends or random people socially because I find it interesting to analyze. Why Americans, compared to the rest of the world, are ALWAYS addicted to something?? They always need some external influence in their bodies to function. I will start with the basic. I remember years ago, since I don't take caffeine, one day early in the morning we were having breakfast and I asked for a decaf. Everybody laugh at me and told me "a decaf is not gonna wake you up" to which I reply "and what waking up has to do with a coffee? since when?" Then I started to use philosophy and analyze the phenomenon.

Since I was a kid, seeing my grandparents and parents, a coffee is to enjoy the taste and the flavor. It can be drunk in the morning or evening, whenever you want. True, it contains caffeine, but the stimulant is not the purpose of drinking coffee. Or is it? It turns out, Americans are addicted to coffee. It seems like they cannot function, not even wake up if its not with the famous coffee. They need to brew coffee upon waking up, they need to carry a mug to work, they need to spend millions every year in stupid starbucks, where you pay 7 bucks for a COFFEE....yes, for a coffee....the only country in the world where you can turn a cafeteria into a multi billion dollar corporation feeding the addiction of millions.

Once Americans get home from work, they need to relax. But wait!! they cannot relax naturally due to a healthy body. No way!! They NEED the alcohol or the marihuana. Again, another addiction. The beer has to be there or in many cases hardcore alcohol. Or the stupid weed altering the reality of millions every day.

So many nurses and other Americans with tough schedules use cocaine to stay awake and function those tough shifts. So many addicted to heroin, crack, ecstasy, pain killers, you name it. Why?? Why Americans cannot be healthy and function normal like so many other countries around the world? Is it because here we push ourselves too much to achieve and succeed in what we want and have the material things we dream of? is the causing that mental imbalance in the population that triggers this behavior? Where is the balance?

I mean, ALL countries have access to the same stimulants and drugs. In fact, South American for example produce many of these drugs, yet their rate of addiction is way less. Thats why they bring the drugs over here because Americans buy and take every single shit on the street.

Id like to hear opinions. I myself can honestly declare myself free of absolutely any addiction. Yes, including the popular coffee. I do not depend on anything to function. I pay close attention to my diet and intake every single nutrient my body needs every day. I completely oppose the use of ANYTHING that can replace the natural function of the body. If you wanna use coffee to have more energy at the gym, that is something different. But if you need coffee for something as natural and basic as waking up, theres a problem in my opinion. And the same goes with everything. If you need alcohol to relax and slow down, something is not right in that brain. Same with weed, or anything!! If you're tired, sleep more and eat better.

Enough said.

Generalities, all packed onto the shoulders of "Americans"

C'mon, Jackxxx
    ​Li'l Uncle Reamus

Comment

I agree 100% even though I use herbs, I use them to better my health. I don't mean cannabis either, by the way did you know hops are also a cannabis. I know now days people use medical cannabis but the law is so vague that anyone with a broken fingernail can get a cannabis script for pain. but THC doesn't kill pain CBD does. CBD is not what gets you high in cannabis does however help for anorexia, insomnia, seizures and pain, CBD can be isolated and extracted. But of course know one wants that they just want a buzz.

Comment

Well, I don't live in another country so I don't know the reality of others. However, this is something noticed by several foreigners. Florida is a state with a high percentage of immigrants from all over the world and it happens they notice the same pattern.

Also this is not just criticizing ourselves, but recognizing that THERE is a real problem. It is a fact. And we need to hopefully meditate and prioritize. For us all this sounds perfectly normal. "thats how life is" but its not. It is an insane lifestyle. Chronic diseases in this country are on the rise. They are not going down, consequence of a devastating nutrition, astronomical levels of stress. Those may very well be the reason why Americans feel the need to approach these "resources" in order to find some level of balance in their mental health. But it has to start from we, the people. I mean, look at the movement to legalize marihuana. They have looked for 1 million excuses to legalize it, when in reality all they want is to legally be able to get high every day. We have a problem, and we need to confront it.

Comment

Originally posted by straight8 View Post
          I agree 100% even though I use herbs, I use them to better my health. I don't mean cannabis either, by the way did you know hops are also a cannabis. I know now days people use medical cannabis but the law is so vague that anyone with a broken fingernail can get a cannabis script for pain. but THC doesn't kill pain CBD does. CBD is not what gets you high in cannabis does however help for anorexia, insomnia, seizures and pain, CBD can be isolated and extracted. But of course know one wants that they just want a buzz.

Yeah herbs don't count in all this addictive society problem because herbs are just part of a healthy diet with all the nutrients the body needs. All the addiction I talk about is more targeted to the constant impulse to alter mental reality. That is what I cannot understand and completely oppose. A lot of people for example live on OCD pills, ADD pills, anxiety pills, stress pills, panic pills, depression pills, etc. Did you all know that those pill don't cure you?? Your doctor successfully made you an addict to those pills. Only your body can cure your through nutrients., not a harmful chemical shit. There are sooooo many things we, and although I am not, but I include myself as an American, are addicted to. And I wish I had some level of influence to do something and change things.

Of course not everybody is, there is also a minority that is focus in holistic medicine and healthy lifestyle. The good thing, that trend is growing as we have access to more and new information. But still the average American falls in that average lifestyle of catastrophic nutrition with drugs, alcohol, pills, caffeine, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Jackxxx View Post
            I mean, look at the movement to legalize marihuana. They have looked for 1 million excuses to legalize it, when in reality all they want is to legally be able to get high every day. We have a problem, and we need to confront it.
            Don't disagree with all you are saying, but you are conflating issues.... wtf does legalizing maryjane have to do with the other things you have stated?
            ​Li'l Uncle Reamus

Comment

Originally posted by FossilHead View Post
              Don't disagree with all you are saying, but you are conflating issues.... wtf does legalizing maryjane have to do with the other things you have stated?

It is directly related because the root of the impulse is that willing or desire to alter the mental state or reality. Either through marihuana to "relax" or coffee to "wake up" or cocaine to "stay awake" it is all the same target: Alter the mental reality. A normal healthy individual should be able to perform every single daily activity without ANY of these external resources. Some people may argue "well, my job is extremely stressful" or "I'm going through too many problems in my life" Well, thats why I state that we should question our own reality. Where is the balance? between killing ourselves to acquire the material things we dream of and our health to live long and happy lives?

Comment

Before you rip with the "gateway drug" BS, please consider that alcohol is legal and is the most available and prevalent gateway "drug" that has ever been.....

Also that the DSM-V doesn't particularly differentiate between ETOH and THC
                ​Li'l Uncle Reamus

Comment

And where does caffeine and similar things enter into it?

You are taking your personal choices, and extrapolating them to "what should be" based upon your personal beliefs, I think.

So just wtf do you consider "natural" and acceptable for each individual to consume......?
                  ​Li'l Uncle Reamus

Comment

I know. And this topic is regardless of the legality of what's being used. Nor I intend to propose turning anything legal into illegal. I am just exposing this situation as a society which is real.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackxxx View Post
                      Yeah herbs don't count in all this addictive society problem because herbs are just part of a healthy diet
                      Pick and choose....?
                      ​Li'l Uncle Reamus

Comment

Originally posted by FossilHead View Post
                        Pick and choose....?
                        No, because herbs don't alter mental state. ALTHOUGH this could be a borderline issue, because yeah, if you start taking grams of extracts of a specific herb to fix your anxiety issues, then yes, THAT right there is a problem. A problem that is being approach from the wrong angle why? Because the mentality imposed by doctors. That mentality of treating symptoms instead of curing the cause. But herbs in normal levels do not alter the mental state. In fact, all supplements based on herbs are extracts or powder concentrations. Something that in a natural healthy lifestyle, doesn't exist. You would harvest a few leaves to make a tea, and while making you healthy in the long term as part of nutrition, it wont have the altering effects of a concentrated extract.

Comment

x
                          Last edited by Opia; 08-26-2016, 10:44 AM.
                          "If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

That is why native Americans chose to use Juniper berries , and similar herbs , to focus and enhance things, I suppose.

And to open their minds.

I don't begin to suppose that the correlation will click.

Best regards, Jackxxx
                            ​Li'l Uncle Reamus

Comment

Kinda in the same spirit of when I have liked to quote Agent Smith , from The Matrix:

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species, and I realised that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment; but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer on this planet, you are a plague..."

Kinda worse than the things you are proposing, Jackxxx
                              ​Li'l Uncle Reamus

Comment

Working...
                              X