Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a safety razor?

Heya!

So I have been using those Gilette blades for shaving my face. It works fine but those blades are freaking expensive four blades for like 30 euros that do not last for long.

Learned to shave by myself since dad was not around so that is not here and there do not know why mention it but anyways.

I have heard about these safety razors that have been around for long time. Thinking of getting one.

Any of you guys have switched from using cartridge razors like Gilette to safety razor? Or just prefer using safety razor.

What difference has it made into your shaving? Did you get a better shave?

What I have read is that safety razors handle is heavier so less pressure is needed, also it cuts closer while is more hygienic , blades are also cheaper. Cons are there is some learning curve to using it , nicks in the beginning.
    Start: 8/2013: BPEL: 6.3" EG: 5.1"
    Current: 9/2020 BPEL: (8.3 inches BPFSL: 8.9 "* MEG: 5.9
    The Goal: BPEL: 9 inches EG: 6.5"

My journal: PurpleOnes Journal

I thought the cartridge razors were safety razors?! So called because they're safer than the old 'cut-throat' razors. Or am I missing something?
    The Newt's Progress

Comment

You have straight razors (also called 'cut throats'), safety/DE razors and cartridge razors. And electric...

I've quit using cartridge razors a while back. Shaving was just mundane and boring, and I always thought the old ways of shaving were badass so I went looking for that. Used a safety razor for a short while but I didn't really like it. It just feels alot like using a cartridge shaver although you have to still make sure there's no lateral movement.

I've started using a straight razor about a month ago, and I love it. There's so much more precision required, but the shave is ten times better. Even when I do a once-over along the grain, I'm baby-skin smooth.

It can be cheaper, but shaving has become something I do with pleasure now so naturally I'm looking into buying cool stuff. A good blade, brush, creams and accessories all together can run you an easy 250-300 dollars for quality gear.
      Started
      01-02-2015 BPEL : 7.25", EG : 5"
      19-08-2015 BPEL : 7.75", EG : 5.2"
      Goal : BPEL 7.75", EG 5.75"

Comment

Originally posted by AlpineNewt View Post
        I thought the cartridge razors were safety razors?! So called because they're safer than the old 'cut-throat' razors. Or am I missing something?
        I'm not sure not too good with those shaving terms or names.

Went based on this article: http://www.razorsbarbershop.com/shave-like-a-grownup/

Comment

Originally posted by TheAnimal220 View Post
          You have straight razors (also called 'cut throats'), safety/DE razors and cartridge razors. And electric...

I've quit using cartridge razors a while back. Shaving was just mundane and boring, and I always thought the old ways of shaving were badass so I went looking for that. Used a safety razor for a short while but I didn't really like it. It just feels alot like using a cartridge shaver although you have to still make sure there's no lateral movement.

I've started using a straight razor about a month ago, and I love it. There's so much more precision required, but the shave is ten times better. Even when I do a once-over along the grain, I'm baby-skin smooth.

It can be cheaper, but shaving has become something I do with pleasure now so naturally I'm looking into buying cool stuff. A good blade, brush, creams and accessories all together can run you an easy 250-300 dollars for quality gear.
          Basicly safety razor is better than those Gilette ones?

Yeah not ready for straight razor yet maybe in future when I get more courage and get used to using safety razor.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleOnes View Post
            Basicly safety razor is better than those Gilette ones?

Yeah not ready for straight razor yet maybe in future when I get more courage and get used to using safety razor.
            Well in my experience, I still got a great shave with my safety razor. Much better than with cartridge ones (gilette, wilkinson etc). After you get the hang of making straight strokes and working around the curves of your face and neck, shaving will be done in a jiffy. If I were you I would invest in some decent shaving cream/soap and a badger brush too. It just feels way more awesome to brush on some thick lather rather than squirting some foam into your hand and wiping it on your face.
            TheAnimal220
            Last edited by TheAnimal220; 05-21-2016, 09:23 AM.
            Started

Comment

If it's more about money, then yeah a safety razor is the best choice. I paid 30 bucks for a very basic safety razor, and 16 bucks for a 100-pack of blade inserts. Even if you have a dense, thick beard and require a new blade with every shave, you can see how that's still dirt cheap.

Best thing is that alot of the safety razor blades are the same blades you put in shavettes (a straight razor with disposable blade inserts just like a safety razor) but double-edged. So you snap 'em in half, put it in a shavette and now you're a badass straight-razor shavin' sumamabitch.
              Started

Comment

If it's more about money, then yeah a safety razor is the best choice. I paid 30 bucks for a very basic safety razor, and 16 bucks for a 100-pack of blade inserts. Even if you have a dense, thick beard and require a new blade with every shave, you can see how that's still dirt cheap.

Best thing is that alot of the safety razor blades are the same blades you put in shavettes (a straight razor with disposable blade inserts just like a safety razor) but double-edged. So you snap 'em in half, put it in a shavette and now you're a badass straight-razor shavin' sumamabitch.
                Well yeah it is a bit about the money but also just finding out other methods to shave or do it better. Have closer shave and better experience.

The straight razor might be option thanks for that but I will leave it for later. I think the safety razor is next step from me upgrading from Gilette blades.

By badger brush you mean something like this?

Partasuti Liscio Wood -

So what is the difference it is just a better experience or you do it to tickle yourself?

Also how does shaving soap differ from cream?

Comment

By badger brush you mean something like this?

Partasuti Liscio Wood -

So what is the difference it is just a better experience or you do it to tickle yourself?

Also how does shaving soap differ from cream?
                  Yeah a brush like that. The difference is that the brush soaked in hot water will create a much warmer, thicker coating for your face and the bristles lift the hairs up so that they become more exposed. This allows the lather to get under every hair and it makes for a much more enjoyable shave.

Shaving soap is usually a hard block in a cup/container. Cream can be in a tube or a container. The difference in actual lather isn't significant in my experience, but shaving cream is much much easier to work with.

That brush looks good but if you wanna know if lathering up with a brush is your thing, I'd just go and get a synthetic one for 5 bucks. The difference in quality is huge, but if you don't know wether or not you'll like it then there's no sense in shelling out 50-60 bucks for something that might end up in the trash can after 3 uses.
                  Started

Comment

Yeah a brush like that. The difference is that the brush soaked in hot water will create a much warmer, thicker coating for your face and the bristles lift the hairs up so that they become more exposed. This allows the lather to get under every hair and it makes for a much more enjoyable shave.

Shaving soap is usually a hard block in a cup/container. Cream can be in a tube or a container. The difference in actual lather isn't significant in my experience, but shaving cream is much much easier to work with.

That brush looks good but if you wanna know if lathering up with a brush is your thing, I'd just go and get a synthetic one for 5 bucks. The difference in quality is huge, but if you don't know wether or not you'll like it then there's no sense in shelling out 50-60 bucks for something that might end up in the trash can after 3 uses.
                    Agreed on the brush.

Will also try some more expensive after shave product just to see difference between it and the Nivea one I use.

I found a cheaper one at the same place so I think I will go with it. Also going to get some shaving soap and a wooden cup for it.

All in all going to be getting something like this in total:

Safety razor:Partahöylä Herr Von eden -

After shave: Aftershave Sandalwood -

Brush: partasuti-doubloon -

Shaving soap: Partasaippua Peppermint -

Soap cup: Saippuakulho -

Basicly going to ball out since want to get a better shaving experience. If I like the whole brush experience will get a more expensive one in future.

You were right about those straight razors they are a bit expensive at that place cheaperst one is like 100 and most expensive one almost 200.

My thing is that my neck gets a bit bumpy after shaving also do not feel like the Gilette blades are making the shave that close at all.

I have small goatee and around it current blades do not give close enough cut I pretty much shave the rest of my face since my overall beard growth is not that big yet.

Can you use that brush for the shaving soap if it is in a cup or is the brush only for creams?
                    PurpleOnes
                    Member of the Month June 2014
                    PEGym Hero
                    Last edited by PurpleOnes; 05-21-2016, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I switched to a safety razor a couple years ago and would never go back to cartridges. The double-edge razor blades are so much cheaper, you don't feel bad about using a fresh blade every few shaves.

All off Amazon: Merkur handle, Astra blades, Taylor of Old Bond Street brush and creams. Sometimes I use a shaving oil first which helps the blade glide smoother across the skin.
                      06: 7.5 x 5.5
                      09: 7.8 x 5.5
                      12: 8.0 x 5.6
                      08: 8.4 x 5.6
                      12: 8.5 x 5.6

Log

Comment

Agreed on the brush.

Will also try some more expensive after shave product just to see difference between it and the Nivea one I use.

I found a cheaper one at the same place so I think I will go with it. Also going to get some shaving soap and a wooden cup for it.

All in all going to be getting something like this in total:

Safety razor:Partahöylä Herr Von eden -

After shave: Aftershave Sandalwood -

Brush: partasuti-doubloon -

Shaving soap: Partasaippua Peppermint -

Soap cup: Saippuakulho -

Basicly going to ball out since want to get a better shaving experience. If I like the whole brush experience will get a more expensive one in future.

You were right about those straight razors they are a bit expensive at that place cheaperst one is like 100 and most expensive one almost 200.

My thing is that my neck are gets a bit bumpy after shaving also do not feel like the Gilette blades are making the shave that close.

Can you use that brush for the shaving soap if it is in a cup or is the brush only for creams?
                        Well, brushes were originally made for soap blocks since creams weren't around back in the old days but a cream just saves you time. Which one you decide on doesn't matter, a brush is good for both. Cream has my preference. If you do opt to get a more expensive brush in the future, make sure that the one you purchase has its hairs braided (I don't know if that's the right word, just make sure they aren't glued). A braided badger hair brush can last a decade without losing any hairs, but if the hairs are glued on a few of them will let loose -especially in the first few uses- and that just makes you go :"awww dammnit...".

If your neck gets bumpy or razor burn, I'd suggest letting your beard grow for a few days in order to see and feel which ways the hair grows. I had the same problem until I found out that on the left side of my neck, the hairs grew sideways and up instead of just down. Since I've started shaving with the grain there, no more problems.

Also, may wanna recheck after shave. I use an unscented one, because after shave is used for just that. After shaving care. If I go out the door I wanna smell good so I'll use a cologne that's specific to an outfit/feeling/weather. Aftershave just makes you smell like a maroccan whorehouse, in my opinion
                        Started

Comment

Well, brushes were originally made for soap blocks since creams weren't around back in the old days but a cream just saves you time. Which one you decide on doesn't matter, a brush is good for both. Cream has my preference. If you do opt to get a more expensive brush in the future, make sure that the one you purchase has its hairs braided (I don't know if that's the right word, just make sure they aren't glued). A braided badger hair brush can last a decade without losing any hairs, but if the hairs are glued on a few of them will let loose -especially in the first few uses- and that just makes you go :"awww dammnit...".

If your neck gets bumpy or razor burn, I'd suggest letting your beard grow for a few days in order to see and feel which ways the hair grows. I had the same problem until I found out that on the left side of my neck, the hairs grew sideways and up instead of just down. Since I've started shaving with the grain there, no more problems.

Also, may wanna recheck after shave. I use an unscented one, because after shave is used for just that. After shaving care. If I go out the door I wanna smell good so I'll use a cologne that's specific to an outfit/feeling/weather. Aftershave just makes you smell like a maroccan whorehouse, in my opinion
                          Weirdly this stuff excites me a bit since want to take my shaving game to next level or make it more interesting or a better experience. Now I just quickly get it done.

So basicly going to get a safety razor+ blades , better quality shaving cream to go with the brush , less scented after shave.

Thanks for the brush advice too I think I will like it. Is there a particular technique with applying the cream with a brush? I mean do you use a circular motion or?

Comment

A straight razor will give you an extremely close shave, but there's no room for error with one!
                            Want a FREE Month of Coaching? PM or email me for details- or CLICK HERE

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

Weirdly this stuff excites me a bit since want to take my shaving game to next level or make it more interesting or a better experience. Now I just quickly get it done.

So basicly going to get a safety razor+ blades , better quality shaving cream to go with the brush , less scented after shave.

Thanks for the brush advice too I think I will like it. Is there a particular technique with applying the cream with a brush? I mean do you use a circular motion or?
                              Not really. I just brush around straight, then a few circles, then straight, some circles etc. The lather gets thicker the longer you brush and I like a thick layer. It doesn't really matter in my opinion, but there's plenty of purists out there who will argue about what they find best.

I was the same at first too, just wanted a better shave and something a little more exciting. Now I'm thinking: "man... that 6/8" with olive wood scales sure looks good, might buy that one. But I already have two razors... but this one just looks so good!"
                              Started

Comment

Working...
                              X