Good Carbs vs. Bad Carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Carbs vs. Bad Carbs

As I've mentioned, I've been studying nutrition for awhile. I even started writing a book, with all of the research I had found.

One chapter's title was - It's Not Rocket Science, But It Is Math.

The premise of the chapter is the function of calories in vs calories out when it comes to weight loss or gain.

I pretty much need to throw that entire chapter out.

A 1,500-calorie diet of jelly beans is not the same as a 1,500-calorie diet of lean protein, veggies and low-glycemic fruit.

I think this is where a lot of people fail in their nutritional understanding. And, I honestly think it's the government's fault in the promotion of this idea. Nutritional labeling, with their promotion of a "2,000-calorie diet" gives the general consumer the notion that that's the only number they need to worry about.

Now, couple this with the Low Fat/Heart Healthy craze since the 1980s, and you begin to see the issue here. The Food Pyramid, thanks to serious backing by the agricultural industry, was heavily-laden with carbs, in particular grains. For generations, we were told, "Eat a big heaping plate of mashed potatoes, just don't put butter on it, and you'll be healthy."

In 1972, the average wheat consumption, per person, in the US, was under 110 pounds annually. By 2000, it had increased 40%!

Low-fat and no-fat products flooded grocery stores and became a multi-billion dollar industry.

Americans were still becoming increasingly obese. We were counting calories and doing Jazzercise and step aerobics and exercising along at home with Richard Simmons and "sweatin' to his oldies"... and our society was becoming fatter and fatter.

The point is... Not all calories are the same.

And, not all carbs are the same.

Check out the article below.

Is There Such a Thing as Good Carbs?

Kimberly
    PEGym.com

Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/pegym

Now I just feel plain bad for being a burrito... I'm full of bad carbs!
    Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
    Recommended Routine
    2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
    BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

keyword = balanced
      Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
      Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimate Burrito View Post
        Now I just feel plain bad for being a burrito... I'm full of bad carbs!
        We can just open you up and eat all the yummy filling in a bowl - no worries! :-D
        Kimberly
        PEGym.com

Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/pegym

Comment

Originally posted by KMWylie View Post
          We can just open you up and eat all the yummy filling in a bowl - no worries! :-D
          Want a FREE Month of Coaching? PM or email me for details- or CLICK HERE

The MeCoach Male Enhancement Coaching Service- For All of Your Male Enhancement Needs

Comment

curious visual of that.
            Valued Member of 11 years at the TheBiohacker
            Looks are deceiving, mirrors don't lie.

Comment

When I initially read this I was laughing my off!!!

MAN that can be taken a lot of ways! Some good, some really, really bad and morbid... I'm scared. LOL
              Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
              Recommended Routine
              2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
              BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

At the end of the day, the biggest thing driving your body weight is calories in, calories out.

If you're a man and you eat 1200 calories a day of Big Macs, you will absolutely lose a ton of weight.

But if we're talking about overall health and body composition, then yeah... the type of food is going to have a big impact. And I suppose there are also some cascading hormonal effects from crappy food that will effect you in the long run.

Don't think you need to throw out the chapter, but it might need some footnotes
                Start (Jan 1st 2017): 7.0" BPEL x 5.1" MEG (17.8cm x 13cm) w/ 1" fat pad
                Now (Oct 9th 2017): 7.5" BPEL x 5.43" MEG (18.5cm x 13.7cm) w/ .7" fat pad
                Goal (Revised): 7.5" BPEL x 5.75" MEG (19.7cm x 14.7cm) w/ almost zero fat pad

Comment

The US Dept of Agriculture suggests you put your meal together so that 1/4 of the plate is covered with colorful fruit, 1/4 with vegetables, 1/4 with protein source (lean meat, fish, or poultry, Or better yet, plant foods like tofu, cooked dryed beans or lentils) and the remaining 1/4 with grains (preferably at least half from whole grains) or other startches such as potatoes, yams, or winter squash.

Finish off your plate with calcium rich foods. These could be low fat milk or foods made from milk such as cheese, yogurt, or puddings.

Eat foods high in photochemicals. Photochemical are compounds that are found only in plant foods. These include compounds that give fruits and vegetables their bright colors. The more often you choose foods that are not refined and as close as possible to how nature made them,the better.
                  Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                  12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                  12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                  01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                  01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                  01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                  Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

Calories in verses calories out. Which ever is more that where the fat is going, either in or out.

USDA makes things so complicated that people don't read what they have to say.

Pretty simple.
                    Protein, fats, carbs. You need all of those.

The problem comes in when dealing with vitamins, minerals etc. A Gatorade is not as good as fruit juice yet both have carbs and not much else.

Same with fats or proteins. Some just have other stuff going on which is better for you.
                    7 1/4 inches x 5 1/4 inches Spring 2014
                    8 X 5 1/2 late summer 2014
                    8 X 5 3/4 Feb. 2015 That took a while.
                    8 X 6 goal
                    8 X 5 7/8 May 2015, wife said stop for now.

Comment

Thoughts on beans?

Comment

Beans can are the least expensive source of protein, especially when compared to fresh meat. Aside from protein, complex carbs and fiber, beans contain a powerhouse of nutrients including antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals, such as copper, folate, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorous, potassium and zinc.
                        Valued Member of 12+ years at the PEGym
                        12/'09 (start) NBP EL - 4.5, EG - 4.4
                        12/11 NBPEL - 5.1, MSEG - 5
                        01/13 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.1
                        01/14 NBPEL - 5.35, MSEG - 5.25
                        01/16 NBPEL - 5.4, MSEG - 5.5
                        Fat Pad = 1+/-

Real cars have two seats. Everything else is a bus.

Comment

I've mentioned this point in a similar thread on the Nutrition forum, but didn't receive any comments, so I'll try again.

Does anyone going by the school of 'calories-in vs. calories-out' pay any regard to the composition of macronutrients per meal? That is, the relationship between fat and carbohydrates/sugars? Do you see it as completely irrelevabant in terms of weight gain or loss? And why?

Carbohydrates, specifically those with a high glucemic index, has the side-effect if raising one's blood-insulin levels. When that level is high, and the digestive system is introduced to fats, those fats have a much higher tendency to get stored instead of burned. This is one of the main cruxes of weight management, in my opinion, yet it largely goes ignored. A pity for all those not in the know.

Originally posted by LeafyGreens View Post
                          If you're a man and you eat 1200 calories a day of Big Macs, you will absolutely lose a ton of weight.
                          I am not so sure. Depends a lot on BMI, muscle mass, activity level, eating routine and hormones. But needless to say, he would have a higher chance of losing weight by eating 1200 calories of apples, all else equal. Just as he would have an even higher chance of gaining weight by eating 1200 calories a day of 50/50 dairy butter and high fructose corn sirup, all consumed within 5 minutes, right before going to sleep.

I don't buy the simple explanation of calories-in & calories-out one bit. The body has loads of other mechanisms at work, which all influence each other.
                          Start, May '17: BPEL 7.2" x MSEG 5.5"
                          December '17: BPEL 8.1" x MSEG 5.9"
                          February '18: BPEL 8.2" x MSEG 5.75"

Long-term goal: BPEL 8.5" x MSEG 6.25"

Comment

In 1972, the average wheat consumption, per person, in the US, was under 110 pounds annually. By 2000, it had increased 40%!

Low-fat and no-fat products flooded grocery stores and became a multi-billion dollar industry.

Americans were still becoming increasingly obese. We were counting calories and doing Jazzercise and step aerobics and exercising along at home with Richard Simmons and "sweatin' to his oldies"... and our society was becoming fatter and fatter.

The point is... Not all calories are the same.

And, not all carbs are the same.

Check out the article below.

Is There Such a Thing as Good Carbs?
                            Sugar is the main issue drop the Sugar and the pounds will drop right off.. very fast as well.

Comment

There are, of course, lots of mechanisms at play in the human being. But at the end of the day, the single largest factor BY FAR (it's not even close) is the # of calories you consume.

This isn't simply theory. So so many people have tested this out.

One that I found particularly humorous was a guy who lost a bunch of weight eating nothing but QT Fried Taquitos If I remember correctly, his cholesterol even improved from it... which blew my mind.

This isn't to say that the quality of food has NO impact, just that it's comparatively smaller. Like 80% of it is calorie total and 20% of it might be food quality.

Your body shape is going to look A LOT different over time if you eat a good healthy diet full of protein, though, even if you're the same body weight as the unhealthy eater.
                              Start (Jan 1st 2017): 7.0" BPEL x 5.1" MEG (17.8cm x 13cm) w/ 1" fat pad
                              Now (Oct 9th 2017): 7.5" BPEL x 5.43" MEG (18.5cm x 13.7cm) w/ .7" fat pad
                              Goal (Revised): 7.5" BPEL x 5.75" MEG (19.7cm x 14.7cm) w/ almost zero fat pad

Comment

Working...
                              X