Dieting (All diets welcome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dieting (All diets welcome)

As i've been requested not to post in a certain thread i thought i'd address this here and on top of that add some dieting information (All diets welcome)

Half of that makes no sense without foundational knowledge of the subject.
    Firstly il address this comment..
    https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/webf...nts-calculator
    Calculators such as these are a common method used to evaluate the DAILY requirements of nutrients recommended to maintain a healthy lifestyle..
    24/12 <--- this specifically is referring to one day being 24 hours and your estimated time of nutrient consumption being a 12 hour window..(The most common approach being breakfast at 6am Lunch at 12pm and dinner at 6pm)
    You can use mathematics on these equations easily to break it down to smaller time periods or if you prefer extend the traditional daily format..Its more than possible your day is 24/8 or even 24/14 the second number addressing your hours of which nutrient consumption is available..Both numbers need to be factored in because the nutrients don't just disappear as soon as you fall asleep..
    There are people who factor these nutrients weekly and people who factor them on much lesser scales..
    This example below is not addressing variables like (Physical labour, exercise,illness,metabolism,pregnancy and multiple other variables if i were to mention them all i would run out of page)
    This example below is estimated for a male age 32

Shown below are some of your major nutrient requirements. You can get almost all of our nutrient requirements by eating nutritious foods. To see what your dietary pattern might look like try out the Average Recommended Number of Serves Calculator.
    Find out what a serve size for each of the Five Food Groups is equal to.
    Protein 64 g/day*
    Fluids
    (Including plain water, milk and other drinks)
    2.6 L/day**
    Fibre 30 g/day**
    Vitamin A 900 μg/day of retinol equivalents
    Thiamin 1.2 mg/day*
    Riboflavin 1.3 mg/day*
    Niacin 16 mg/day of niacin equivalents
    Vitamin B6 1.3 mg/day*
    Vitamin B12 2.4 μg/day*
    Folate 400 μg/day as dietary folate equivalents
    Vitamin C 45 mg/day*
    Calcium 1000 mg/day*
    Iodine 150 μg/day*
    Iron 8 mg/day*
    Magnesium 420 mg/day*
    Potassium 3800 mg/day*
    Sodium 460-920 mg/day*
    Zinc 14 mg/day*
    On top of the knowledge of knowing this is what you should be consuming in your consumption window (or at least this is the government's suggestion) it's yours to experiment with as to how how you approach its consumption there is not set recommended approach..

So let's discuss a the most popular one "3 meals a day"
    This one was most likely elaborated to you in school (Particularly the western world countries)
    So that begs the question why is it the most popular..
    Is there a biological reason to eat three meals a day?

there isn't a biological reason to eat three meals a day. The number of meals eaten every day is a cultural pattern people have adopted because there's comfort in predictability. And it's a concept that's worked for decades. Imagine uberhousewife June Cleaver from the idyllic 1950s sitcom "Leave it to Beaver" deviating from her daily preparation of a hearty breakfast, lunch and dinner for her family. Even modern television often shows families sitting down to dinner or breakfast together before heading out to school or work. The problem, Freedman says, is that this pattern no longer works with the reality of modern schedules. Fewer people leave work every day at the same time, and free time is filled with sports and screen time — leaving less room for the three-meals-a-day model

So when — and why — did we start eating three meals a day? In the 1920s and 1930s, the U.S. government began promoting breakfast as the most important meal of the day, and many people working manual jobs required a hearty noon meal to sustain them. More recently, a survey conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture revealed a shift away from breakfast and lunch as the day's main meals. The vast majority of respondents reported eating their main meals at noon and again at 6 p.m., with fewer taking the time to eat breakfast.

This is one opinion of many (provided by Yale University professor Paul Freedman, editor of "Food: The History of Taste,") on the matter and like with any diet the schematics could be argued immensely..

There may be no biological advantage as to why the majority of us use this method however that isn't an excuse as to why goals like weight loss, muscle gains and general health can't be acquired using it..

In my opinion to many people focus on the specifics of advanced routines and label them as superior while neglecting the basics.. often that's what led them to resort to such extremes in the first place .. Even just eating healthier whilst using the most basic methods (3 meals a day) can often provide the desired results..It's a privallent epidemic in the fitness industry to see average people attempting advanced methods whilst not even understanding the basic principles of nutrient requirements..The main cause for this from my experience ("some guy on the internet said it and he achieved this") Often accompanied with an outlandish claim rarely verified and highly unrecommended by certified professionals.

If your looking into creating your own personal diet with whatever goals you have in mind i implore you to speak to a dietician. (It's their job to know)
    If your goals are more fitness related i recommend you ask a pt. (It's their job to know)

With that out of the way i would like to adress meal increasing. Advanced method 1.
    Is eating six meals a day good?
    A second study found that switching from three daily meals to six did not boost calorie-burning or fat loss. In fact, the researchers concluded, eating six meals a day actually made people want to eat more. And a research review reached no conclusions about whether meal frequency helps or hurts with weight loss.
    This method promotes you to take your nutrient calculations and divide them into smaller portions and eat them more regularly than 3 times a day.
    Again more importantly than the method used on how you introduced the nutrients is which nutrients you introduced..
    This will remain prevalent through any variation you choose..
    On a personal level i eat about 10 meals a day using my bodies hunger as a que for consumption..(This is specifically for fat loss)
    If you do your own research on meal increasing you will find many websites or books claiming its superiority and just as many claiming it won't work.
    You will find this common trend with most diets including "3 meals a day"

Advanced method 2 (Fasting) and (intermittent fasting)
    Fasting simply means the time your body isn't in its nutrient intake window or by choice choosing to expand it.. most of us will do this every night when we sleep hence why the first meal after sleep is referred to as "breakfast" it literal meaning is "breaking the fast" referring to what most people achieve every night when they sleep..

Intermittent fasting simply is using the tool of fasting to attempt to create a different reaction in your body when you are depleted of nutrients..There are studies that suggest there is ample amount of "stored nutrient" that get accessed when the body enters fasting mode among other chemical reactions..
    On the contrary there are also studies that suggest there are negative reactions to applying this method (are you noticing a trend?)
    This method or lifestyle choice more commonly referred to hasnt really established a set regime..some people opt to extend their fast for 48 hours once weekly others choose to alternate 24 hour fasting periods periodically every other day there is no set methods to how you choose a regime..
    Again what's more important than the actual method itself is the nutrient you introduce prior and post fast..
    Some religions have promoted this long before it became a "fad" for dieting.

Advanced method 3 Keto.

The keto diet is primarily used to help reduce the frequency of epileptic seizures in children. While it also has been tried for weight loss, only short-term results have been studied, and the results have been mixed. We don't know if it works in the long term, nor whether it's safe," warns registered dietitian Kathy McManus, director of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women's Hospital.

In short it was primarily developed to address epilepsy in minors in the 1920's..
    It promotes high fat, medium protein and low carbohydrates the theory is your body focuses on burning fat rather than carbohydrates...
    Again heavily dependant on which nutrients you choose (like a broken record) as to which method you choose to consume them..
    This one however isn't as simple as rearranging your nutrients through timing its specifically designed to create ketosis which simply put your body is now burning fat instead of glucose..This change in your body has been known to promote weakness,constipation,nausea and vomiting (the list is longer)..
    Many people claim it exclusively burns fat and report little to no muscle loss whilst losing weight..

Advanced method 4 calorie counting.

There are numerous calculators online that estimate the amount of calories your body needs to consume in a day..
    On top of this some counter in activity levels,age,weight,goals,bf% and other things helpful to determining your estimated calorie intake..
    Some will not only find your estimated calorie intake but then predict a suggestion as to which macronutrients will be the most beneficial for your goals..
    On the back of each food label will be the volume of calories mathematically divided into per weight or ml (oz) along with all other nutritional information
    If you have the time this is a great method to use and even plan ahead of time or prepare bulk meals..
    Usually these calculators will provide you with 3 options (maintenance) (weight loss) or (muscle expansion)
    I've seen these used to success with multiple clients
    However it is a big commitment and time consuming process that can lead to obsessive behaviour with food.
    Combining this with the nutrient chart is my first suggestion to anyone even if fitness isn't their goal.
    Again i'll mention you can't just use one of these websites and eat fast food as all of your calories and expect the same results as someone who chooses healthy options.

This information was just incase people are reading these threads and not understanding the "lingo" being used..

In summary my personal opinion is it really makes no difference which method you choose if you aren't meeting the basic nutrient requirements..
    If your a beginner you should focus more on figuring out what's good for YOUR health.. rather than the approach as to which you deliver it.
    I mean it's possible you can use all of these elements to achieve anything more importantly though it's recommended when you adapt to something you stick with if for a while (unless its damaging your health) and find a system or approach you actually enjoy..

Would love to hear if anyone here has used any of these methods to positive or negative or even any i haven't mentioned..
    If you disagree with any of this feel free to correct me and debate what i've said
    I'll finish by saying i gained a lot of weight as a child by eating one meal a day (dinner) this wasn't my parents fault either i refused to eat breakfast and threw my lunches in the bin without their knowledge...
    Often personal ques like this are a great way of figuring out what is going to benefit you.
    This got me thinking in adulthood..If one meal a day made me put on copious amounts of weight.. what would happen if i ate that same amount of nutrients but spaced it out over 12-14 hours for me the result was weight loss (not fat) it wasn't until later on in adulthood i addressed my proper nutrients needs after that was addressed i have been able to basically eat anyway i like..(the main reason being the majority of the food i was eating was healthy)..
    I don't believe there is such a thing as the perfect method that can be generically followed in terms of methods used to provide the nutrients..
    I do believe however if your getting the basics down then build on them in any direction your more likely to stick to it long term..
    I have tried every diet on this list accept fasting (that will be my next one soon)

closed297
    Last edited by closed297; 08-19-2020, 11:40 AM.
    25th june 2020: BPEL 14cm x EG 11cm (NBPEL 11.5cm) NBPFL 8.5cm x FG 10cm
    5th August 2020: BPEL 16.5cm x EG 13cm (NBPEL 14.5cm) NBPFL 10cm x FG 10.5cm
    25th september: ??
    Goal 18cmx16cm
    https://www.pegym.com/forums/progres...eekly-log.html

Simple; eat a bit less and exercise a bit more. Lose 1/2 pound week. No big lifestyle changes which most people won't adhere to.
    The world's still a toy if you just stay a boy!

Comment

Simple; eat a bit less and exercise a bit more. Lose 1/2 pound week. No big lifestyle changes which most people won't adhere to.
      Your not wrong
      Goal 18cmx16cm

Comment

Originally posted by 6and4.2 View Post
        As i've been requested not to post in a certain thread i thought i'd address this here and on top of that add some dieting information (All diets welcome)

For the record, no one asked you not to post there. You were asked to stay on topic. The topic there is very specific: "Intermittent Fasting Protocols and Muscle Sparing." Notice it's not "An Open Discussion on Diets." The best response to being asked to stay on topic is to consider whether what you're saying is directly relevant to the topic of the post, and if not, consider starting another thread, which you have done.

If you have something to offer specific to "Intermittent Fasting Protocols and Muscle Sparing" you are welcome to comment there. I'm not interested in censoring anyone, just keeping things interesting, and it's more interesting when threads stay on topic, particularly long-winded, technical ones like the IF thread. As I recall, you were the one who asked me never to comment on your Routines thread again, not the other way around.

Now, in the interest of staying on topic, I've engaged in basically all of these at different times in my life. I've found this statement to be true, "In summary my personal opinion is it really makes no difference which method you choose if you aren't meeting the basic nutrient requirements." And also this, "I don't believe there is such a thing as the perfect method that can be generically followed in terms of methods used to provide the nutrients." All bodies and all lifestyles have slightly different needs and demands (some more different than others). And trying to be 100% sure you're getting every last recommended thing is likely to drive one crazy, though it might be perfect for someone with OCD.

In the end, I usually say, the healthiest diet for any individual is the healthy diet he/she can stick to over time.

Thanks for starting the general dieting thread, 6and4.2. Should be fun.
        madyogi
        Member of the Month April 2020
        PEGym Hero
        Last edited by madyogi; 08-19-2020, 12:23 PM.
        START : 2/6/2020
        BPEL : 5.875" - BaseEG : 5.25" - MSEG : 5.0"
        CURRENT : 11/18/2021
        BPEL : 7.5" - BaseEG : 5.75" - MSEG : 5.75"

BPEL GOAL : 7.5+" - MSEG GOAL : 5.75+"

MadYogi's PE Log

Comment

I know I'm not. I watched yous guy on the other thread. It was hysterical although it got a bit wacky at times.How many fool proof diets have I heard over the years? Atkin,South Beach ,Stillman, Pineapple diet, Israeli Army diet. They even had a drinking mans diet for drinkers. Beverly Hills diet,grapefruit diet and they even had a cabbage soup diet; yuck!

Funny each one of you were right in a way and also wrong in a way. Eat this, change metabolism, don't eat that; to me all silly. I like eating, drinking and exercise. I've always been able to keep my weight in a comfortable range. Get a bit to the top of the range? Okay one less piece of cake or skip a bowl or tWO of ice cream and do an extra 10 minutes on the treadmill or an extra game of raquetball.

I have watched so many change their whole lifestyle around to lose weight going on this diet or that one and it has never worked in the long run for anyone I know. Why does weight loss have to be quick? You just woke up one day and found out you gained 25 pounds overnight?
          It took you time to put on that weight; you were enjoying life. TAKE THE SAME TIME TO LOSE THAT WEIGHT AND KEEP ENJOYING LIFE.

Comment

Originally posted by CUSP82 View Post
            Why does weight loss have to be quick? You just woke up one day and found out you gained 25 pounds overnight?
            It took you time to put on that weight; you were enjoying life. TAKE THE SAME TIME TO LOSE THAT WEIGHT AND KEEP ENJOYING LIFE.
            For what it's worth, I don't think either of us is advocating quick weight loss is best. I've said elsewhere that it worked for me in the past because it's easier for me to concentrate on one thing really hard for a "sprint" than it is to be in deficit over a longer period ... And I was able to keep that weight off in the past, and I plan to be here for a weigh in after this most recent sprint. Certainly, OP's point has been pretty consistent that quick weight loss is not optimal.

And for the record, my current approach hasn't kept me from enjoying life. That's the beauty of IF for me. I take a couple days a week off from eating (which isn't a problem for me), and I get to cheat like hell on Saturday or whatever, and I'm still in deficit.

And it's worth noting, many people gain weight and don't enjoy life. Those two things don't necessarily go hand in hand. I was extremely stressed out and worried about my son when I was packing on the 40 pounds I'm very close to taking off at this point.

So, you are also right, and also wrong
            madyogi
            PEGym Hero
            Last edited by madyogi; 08-19-2020, 01:58 PM.

MadYogi's PE Log

Comment

I know I'm not. I watched yous guy on the other thread. It was hysterical although it got a bit wacky at times.How many fool proof diets have I heard over the years? Atkin,South Beach ,Stillman, Pineapple diet, Israeli Army diet. They even had a drinking mans diet for drinkers. Beverly Hills diet,grapefruit diet and they even had a cabbage soup diet; yuck!

Funny each one of you were right in a way and also wrong in a way. Eat this, change metabolism, don't eat that; to me all silly. I like eating, drinking and exercise. I've always been able to keep my weight in a comfortable range. Get a bit to the top of the range? Okay one less piece of cake or skip a bowl or tWO of ice cream and do an extra 10 minutes on the treadmill or an extra game of raquetball.

I have watched so many change their whole lifestyle around to lose weight going on this diet or that one and it has never worked in the long run for anyone I know. Why does weight loss have to be quick? You just woke up one day and found out you gained 25 pounds overnight?
              I don't have a PhD (unless were referring to a Phat handsome Dick ) but I have found a diet strategy that works and I've demonstrated it works with data and results. I agree that time tells all things but as I have said in another thread, I'm saving loads of money, eating better and tastier meals, meal prepping and enjoying this new found energy I have. I have hopefully set myself up for success in the future and will continue pursuing this lifestyle.

I do agree that the weigh just doesn't magically come back but I do think it can come back way faster than it left. My goal is to target 180 lbs and try to maintain between that and 185 lbs. This means I can have cheat days and enjoy the indulgences of life with moderation. Of course it's all about self control and discipline though.

I'll finish with this:

Diet fads don't work but lifestyle changes do.
              Progress Log | Extender Progress Log
              Recommended Routine
              2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)
              BPEL Gains: 2.5" | MEG Gains: 1.25"

Comment

I'll never not advocate for a balanced approach to fitness as an aid to the diet in fact i recommend people to this day to engage in ideally 4-5 hours of HIIT cardio weekly + a strength routine as an aid to a good diet However ANY is better than none so if they don't want to specifically use my exact methods i will still implore them to choose whatever they like (yes even cardio only) as an aid to dieting.. Some still insist on achieving their goals with dieting only (which is fine).. However i rarely see them succeed in the long run (But it's has happened) BTW sports is great as its actually enjoyable and you rarely monitor the pain when competition is at steak
                Goal 18cmx16cm

Comment

I wish you luck on the lifestyle change. I hope it works for you. See ya Dec 18 on the other thread.

Comment

I wish you luck on the lifestyle change. I hope it works for you. See ya Dec 18 on the other thread.
                    what's the link to the other thread?
                    Goal 18cmx16cm

Comment

The weight challenge one; the one you guys went nuts on.

Comment

It's one of many

Here's the link.

CUSP is salivating over the possibility of an I told you so moment, so he can slap me and the burrito down ... Ooops, strike that, I mean he really hopes the best for us, but remains skeptical we'll keep the weight off.
                        madyogi
                        PEGym Hero
                        Last edited by madyogi; 08-19-2020, 02:42 PM.

MadYogi's PE Log

Comment

Where it all began... ground zero hahaha
                          Recommended Routine
                          2016 (5 1/2 x 4 1/2) > 2017 (7 5/8 x 5 5/8) > 2020 (8 x 5 3/4) > Oct 2021 (7 1/2 x 5 3/4)

Comment

me going nuts is turning into a trend lately to add to this it is 6 am in my country and i haven't slept for nearly 40 hours on the pure fact i was infuriated that one bowl of wholemeal pasta with lamb and tomato sauce caused me to put on 1.4 kg
                            Goal 18cmx16cm

Comment

Originally posted by madyogi View Post
                              It's one of many

Here's the link.

CUSP is salivating over the possibility of an I told you so moment, so he slap me and the burrito ... Ooops, strike that, I mean he really hopes the best for us, but remains skeptical we'll keep the weight off.
                              The only weight I'm planning on gaining is from having a bigger phallus .

But seriously, I've learned a lot from the abundance and wealth of information from you guys's expertise and experience.
                              Recommended Routine

Comment

Working...
                              X