Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else notice that their muscle shivers after a work out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone else notice that their muscle shivers after a work out?

Hi, first time poster.

It may sound dumb, but I have noticed that after lifting weights, the part of my body I worked out often has a significant shivering sensation. Tonight for instance I was doing squats and some military presses, and sure enough, I have been feeling a shivering sensation throughout my leg and shoulder muscles. It is not a feeling of being cold, in fact I feel it even stronger when I am in the sauna after the workout. What is the cause of this shivering, and does anyone else notice it?

I have a completely unsubstantiated theory that this shivering is testosterone in action. I have read that testosterone is affected (positively) by hot and cold air. Perhaps this is somehow related.

I am interested in learning more about testosterone and different theories about it's purpose. I am sure that sites like this are a good start and I am glad I have found it, but if anyone knows more resources to draw from, I am interested.

From my experience and studies, I understand it has to do with the beating your CNS takes during a hardcore workout, especially in the nerves contained within the muscles targeted during that workout. You've basically put your muscles through "shock and awe" and what your feeling is your muscles in a state of shock. If you are not properly hydrated, then this sensation gets exacerbated, which is probably the reason why you feel it more in the sauna, which is an environment where the body will dehydrate even more. Testosterone has absolutely NOTHING to do with shaking and rattling or anything of that matter, unless you're talking about shaking and rattling a guy by the neck cause he accidentally spilled your bottle of water; if that's the case, then your testosterone is WAY to high, buddy.

Comment

Hmmm, thanks for the info. This is genuine shivering as if I were chilly, only temperature doesn't seem to have much to do with it. It is a pleasant sensation though. I am definitely not talking about the muscle tremors that one would experience after an intense set or something like that. This isn't a feeling of strain or heavy fatigue. It's a very mild-mannered non-violent (although considerable in it's presence) shivering (think tingling more so than spasms or shaking) as though a voluptuous, scantily clothed lady were teasing the muscle with a feather.

Comment

This is called a "Body Rush"

I've got a Tiger by the tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Quankers View Post
          Hmmm, thanks for the info. This is genuine shivering as if I were chilly, only temperature doesn't seem to have much to do with it. It is a pleasant sensation though. I am definitely not talking about the muscle tremors that one would experience after an intense set or something like that. This isn't a feeling of strain or heavy fatigue. It's a very mild-mannered non-violent (although considerable in it's presence) shivering (think tingling more so than spasms or shaking) as though a voluptuous, scantily clothed lady were teasing the muscle with a feather.
          Interesting. It's definitely something in the nerves, since any kind of muscular contraction (voluntary or not) takes place by way of the nerves. One thing I can assure you is that it is not testosterone (or any other hormone) in action like you've previously suspected. Are you properly hydrating yourself?

Comment

Yeah I think so, I bring a litre bottle of water with me that I often have to refill during my workout and more than once in the sauna (though some of that is used to create steam.) I just assume I am drinking enough, but I can always drink more.

Comment

A body rush is caused by the release of endorphins, the feel good hormone.

I've got a Tiger by the tail.

Comment

Originally posted by JonPop View Post
                A body rush is caused by the release of endorphins, the feel good hormone.
                ...sort of what Mrs. JP feels when you drop your pants?

Comment

Working...
                X